It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:55 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
Scarlets v Bath aka Rhys P v Rhys P 
British & Irish Lions Player

Post Scarlets v Bath aka Rhys P v Rhys P
Wales Online has the team details for tomorrow night's match at 7.45pm. Rhys Priestland is starting for his current club against his old one. Faletau, Charteris and Brew are the other Welsh players in the Bath squad. As for the Scarlets, Barclay and Rob Evans are still missing due to HIAs, while Ken Owens, Hadleigh Parkes and Gareth Davies start with Ryan Elias and Scott Williams dropping to the bench and Aled Davies dropped altogether. (It is rather telling, and more than a little worrying, how Scott is increasingly overlooked when it comes to starting the big matches).
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugb ... s-13783074

Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:12 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Post Re: Scarlets v Bath aka Rhys P v Rhys P
Scarlet 7 pt favs according to Bookies.

Bath always look good on paper but rarely play to sum of the parts?

Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:16 pm

Yeah, I predict Scarlets will win narrowly too. I think that Toulon will almost certainly qualify for the knockout stages regardless, so the Bath-Scarlets match in January will effectively be the runner-up decider.

Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:24 pm
Profile E-mail

If Bath play like they can and keep the ball, push aggressively in defence and actually give JJ and Watson space, I think they could do it.

Unfortunately I think it's more likely we will have shit possession because it's either constantly spilled forward in tackles or kicked away aimlessly after the forwards put in the bare minimum effort to break the gain line. We will let Scarlets run at us with impunity as we revert back to the exceptionally annoying passive defence that concedes about 2m per carry every carry.

Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:33 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Key game on Friday, with a lot of pressure on the Scarlets to win

Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:07 pm
World XV Player

Poite refs it ....

Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:01 pm
World XV Player

Langland Exile wrote:

We need to be careful of judging Scarlets on last years form. We are nowhere near that at this stage of the season.
I'd love to believe that we are favourites, but am not convinced. Besides we are missing three high powered mobile players in Liam, Cubby and Rob Evans.
On the plus side, Rhys Patchell is a better player than he was last year. Wyn Jones starting to emerge as a potential Wales Loosehead Prop. The backline is still strong despite the loss of Liam, and the tight five is looking pretty awesome. But I'm still not comfortable with the favourite tag. :D

Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:07 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Keen on good scrummaging, good for the Scarlets :thumbup:

Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:08 pm
World XV Player

Scarlets: Leigh Halfpenny; Johnny McNicholl, Jonathan Davies, Hadleigh Parkes, Steff Evans; Rhys Patchell, Gareth Davies; Wyn Jones, Ken Owens, Samson Lee, Jake Ball, Lewis Rawlins, Aaron Shingler, Will Boyde, Tadhg Beirne.

Replacements: Ryan Elias, Dylan Evans, Werner Kruger, David Bulbring, Josh Macleod, Jonathan Evans, Paul Asquith, Scott Williams.

Bath: Anthony Watson; Semesa Rokoduguni, Jonathan Joseph, Max Clark, Aled Brew; Rhys Priestland, Kahn Fotuali'i; Beno Obano, Tom Dunn, Anthony Perenise, Charlie Ewels, Luke Charteris, Zach Mercer, Sam Underhill, Taulupe Faletau.

Replacements: Jack Walker, Nathan Catt, Scott Andrews, Elliott Stooke, Paul Grant, Darren Allinson, Josh Lewis, Matt Banahan.

BBC Rugby Wales had Alun Wyn Jones, it should have been just Wyn Jones. :D

Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:48 pm
Profile E-mail

BigRed wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:

We need to be careful of judging Scarlets on last years form. We are nowhere near that at this stage of the season.
I'd love to believe that we are favourites, but am not convinced. Besides we are missing three high powered mobile players in Liam, Cubby and Rob Evans.
On the plus side, Rhys Patchell is a better player than he was last year. Wyn Jones starting to emerge as a potential Wales Loosehead Prop. The backline is still strong despite the loss of Liam, and the tight five is looking pretty awesome. But I'm still not comfortable with the favourite tag. :D

Please don't mention injuries in a game against Bath. Apparently we were only able to do 15 vs 15 training for the first time in ages recently. Even our injury replacements are getting injured and we literally don't even have a sub front rower any more, we have had to loan one.

Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:13 pm
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

Bath's 5-15 look almost like a World Cup XV side but the front row are total unknowns. The Scarlets by contrast have the Wales front row, or something close to it. Scrum Dominance + Halfpenny is a combo that's work very well in the past...

Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:05 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Figaro wrote:
Bath's 5-15 look almost like a World Cup XV side but the front row are total unknowns. The Scarlets by contrast have the Wales front row, or something close to it. Scrum Dominance + Halfpenny is a combo that's work very well in the past...

Yep! They definitely have one of the best flyhalves in the world. The one we at P-Y-S abused. The abuse of The Priest was a bad reflection on us, one I regret.
We in Wales have a tendency to boost someone up (especially a fly) and when they make a mistake or have a bad game and don't meet up to our expectation, we try to destroy them. P-Y-S is not alone in this, it is a Wales syndrome.

Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:00 am
Profile E-mail
Club Player

Very decent looking Bath backline. Don't know much about their front row but the rest of the team are certainly no mugs and this is no gimme for the Scarlets, not by any means.

As someone has already pointed out, scrum dominance and Halfpenny's boot look the best way forward. Keep the fancy running for teams with less dangerous backlines so, at 1.38 (4/11) or thereabouts, my money will definitely be staying in my pocket.

Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:16 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

I hope the weather doesn't spoil what could be a cracking match to watch.
Intermittent rain has been forecast.

Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:15 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Two good sides that play rugby. Wouldn’t like to call it.

Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:08 pm
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next