It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:10 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
European Rugby Farce 
Author Message
World XV Player

Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:50 am
Posts: 5520
Post European Rugby Farce
European Rugby Champions Cup
And,
European Rugby Challenge Cup

I don't know what anyone else thinks about these two tournaments but personally, I think it is descending into a farce.
Most teams, including the Dragons who can't even field a top 23 man squad, are not fielding their top players.
So what is the point? Especially as the French are totally disinterested, witness the Lyon team they put out against the Blues.
And, little or no TV coverage to boot.
All in all a very boring weekend of rugby. Yawn! :sleepy2: :sleepy2: :sleepy2: :sleepy2: :sleepy2:


Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:33 pm
Profile E-mail
Online
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2004 4:54 pm
Posts: 22810
Location: Cayman Islands
Post Re: European Rugby Farce
The top tournament (aka the european cup) has produced some good entertaining games.

The lower tier (what used to be the shield) is and always has been a waste of time. Half the teams in it dont even want to be in it, no effort made and is a complete farce.

_________________
'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so *fupping* what?' —Stephen Fry

"You like PhillBB demand facts for debate........My premise needs no facts to debate it" - Rosario on "how to look like an idiot"

http://www.flickr.com/photos/whitcomberd/


Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:37 pm
Profile WWW
Regional Junior Player

Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:16 pm
Posts: 136
Post Re: European Rugby Farce
I agree with Big Red; there is no interest in the Euro competitions until they reach the quarter finals. And the Anglo Welsh competition is also a waste of time, with teams turning out junior players. By all means have a Euro Cup for the top five sides from the previous season from the English Arriva, French Top 14, and the Pro 14, and to make up a 16th side the next best team from all three leagues. Do not have pool games, just straight knock out fixtures and a final, played out in the month of May. The Pro 14 should be divided into two leagues ( stress not conferences) and add London Welsh and London Scottish . Two teams should be promoted, and two demoted each season, and the side finishing bottom of the 2nd division would have to apply for retention in the competition, thus having an open door for teams to seek inclusion.


Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:50 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:37 pm
Posts: 11034
Post Re: European Rugby Farce
String wrote:
The top tournament (aka the european cup) has produced some good entertaining games.

The lower tier (what used to be the shield) is and always has been a waste of time. Half the teams in it dont even want to be in it, no effort made and is a complete farce.


I agree in general.

Until such time as there is a virile tiered system that includes the development countries only the upper echelon is of interest.

If SA does migrate to the N Hemp, and I think they wil, a competitive Conference system ican be achieved then it will remain an elite reserve.

There has to be a 'ladder' aspect too that allows both promotion and relegation.

It is still early days.

BR statement in terms of the ChampsCup is misplaced.

How many games have you watched so far BR? You havent been present on here.

In general it has been quality entertaining rugby and I think that the players have been highly committed and motivated too.

BR, I wonder whether there will be any interest tomorrow in Champs Cup and, if not, why not?

I suspect, BR, that you are equally unhappy with Pro 14?

I suspect that the Irish fans are happy with the Champs Cup too, they are very competitive and virile!

_________________
ImageEasy to consider past and present, it's the future and associated plan and strategy to achieve that takes the talent ..


Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:04 am
Profile
Regional Junior Player

Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:42 pm
Posts: 169
Post Re: European Rugby Farce
Leinster fan here.

BR what are you on - lumping champions cup in with challenge cup comments.

The season highlight are the champions cup.

And , the 17 of feb 2018. When scarlets come to the rds. :pain10:


Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:14 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:50 am
Posts: 5520
Post Re: European Rugby Farce
Tony Panties wrote:
String wrote:
The top tournament (aka the european cup) has produced some good entertaining games.

The lower tier (what used to be the shield) is and always has been a waste of time. Half the teams in it dont even want to be in it, no effort made and is a complete farce.


I agree in general.

Until such time as there is a virile tiered system that includes the development countries only the upper echelon is of interest.

If SA does migrate to the N Hemp, and I think they wil, a competitive Conference system ican be achieved then it will remain an elite reserve.

There has to be a 'ladder' aspect too that allows both promotion and relegation.

It is still early days.

BR statement in terms of the ChampsCup is misplaced.

How many games have you watched so far BR? You havent been present on here.

In general it has been quality entertaining rugby and I think that the players have been highly committed and motivated too.

BR, I wonder whether there will be any interest tomorrow in Champs Cup and, if not, why not?

I suspect, BR, that you are equally unhappy with Pro 14?

I suspect that the Irish fans are happy with the Champs Cup too, they are very competitive and virile!

Hi Tony, One of the major factors is that I haven't seen any of the games because they are not on TV, so how can I form an opinion?


Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:23 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:37 pm
Posts: 11034
Post Re: European Rugby Farce
BigRed wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
String wrote:
The top tournament (aka the european cup) has produced some good entertaining games.

The lower tier (what used to be the shield) is and always has been a waste of time. Half the teams in it dont even want to be in it, no effort made and is a complete farce.


I agree in general.

Until such time as there is a virile tiered system that includes the development countries only the upper echelon is of interest.

If SA does migrate to the N Hemp, and I think they wil, a competitive Conference system ican be achieved then it will remain an elite reserve.

There has to be a 'ladder' aspect too that allows both promotion and relegation.

It is still early days.

BR statement in terms of the ChampsCup is misplaced.

How many games have you watched so far BR? You havent been present on here.

In general it has been quality entertaining rugby and I think that the players have been highly committed and motivated too.

BR, I wonder whether there will be any interest tomorrow in Champs Cup and, if not, why not?

I suspect, BR, that you are equally unhappy with Pro 14?

I suspect that the Irish fans are happy with the Champs Cup too, they are very competitive and virile!

Hi Tony, One of the major factors is that I haven't seen any of the games because they are not on TV, so how can I form an opinion?


I suspect you mean free to air TV?

also, your criticism is a general one not just TV available.

How can you slate quality and commitment and popularity of Champs cup games if you havent seen any of them or seemingly havent listened to other opinion?

The Challenge cup is a bag of worms but the Champs Cup is the highest echelon of N Hemp Rugby and the first round in general reflects that doesn't it?

If you can't answer that question how can you justify your first post?

Indeed, how can you form an opinion to reverse your Q?

_________________
ImageEasy to consider past and present, it's the future and associated plan and strategy to achieve that takes the talent ..


Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:32 pm
Profile
Online
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2004 4:54 pm
Posts: 22810
Location: Cayman Islands
Post Re: European Rugby Farce
Its not exactly hard to find the games "free" even if you don't have them on TV.

"I cant watch them so they're crap" seems a very weak argument. Although the challenge cup is utterly pointless and always has been - that bit id agree with.

_________________
'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so *fupping* what?' —Stephen Fry

"You like PhillBB demand facts for debate........My premise needs no facts to debate it" - Rosario on "how to look like an idiot"

http://www.flickr.com/photos/whitcomberd/


Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:39 pm
Profile WWW
World XV Player

Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:50 am
Posts: 5520
Post Re: European Rugby Farce
OK, you've convinced me. I must separate European Rugby Champions Cup from European Rugby Challenge Cup. :D

But please can someone inform me WHY the matches of both tournaments are virtually ignored by TV if it is such a great tournament.

Take Scarlets v Toulon, two of the top teams in France and Wales, completely ignored by TV?


Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:11 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:08 pm
Posts: 3282
Post Re: European Rugby Farce
They were on tv just the games are split over a number of channels mainly sky and BT

On the rugby side I was a little disappointed by both Toulon and Clermont today. Yes both came away with the win but both Welsh sides were more than competitive today despite the huge differences in budgets. Plus the ospreys are crap


Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:17 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:37 pm
Posts: 11034
Post Re: European Rugby Farce
AverageBBCjournalist wrote:
They were on tv just the games are split over a number of channels mainly sky and BT

On the rugby side I was a little disappointed by both Toulon and Clermont today. Yes both came away with the win but both Welsh sides were more than competitive today despite the huge differences in budgets. Plus the ospreys are crap


Round1....



For some Seasons now we've had similar posts of poor performannce of Wealthy clubs and even how the then Pro12 were knocking 'em over ......until we got to the all important semis and finals ;)

Both Toulon and Clermont aren't doing well in the Top 14, have a look ....

Scarlets are doing well consistently and are increasing their stature, Osps are in demise and tonight proved it, 70% possession and territory and ........

_________________
ImageEasy to consider past and present, it's the future and associated plan and strategy to achieve that takes the talent ..


Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:54 pm
Profile
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:28 pm
Posts: 10891
Location: Plymouth
Post Re: European Rugby Farce
BigRed wrote:
OK, you've convinced me. I must separate European Rugby Champions Cup from European Rugby Challenge Cup. :D

But please can someone inform me WHY the matches of both tournaments are virtually ignored by TV if it is such a great tournament.

Take Scarlets v Toulon, two of the top teams in France and Wales, completely ignored by TV?

they aren't ignored???

_________________
Just for one moment I thought I'd found my way, then destiny unfolded, and I watched it slip away


Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:03 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
World XV Player

Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:50 am
Posts: 5520
Post Re: European Rugby Farce
CymraegJanner wrote:
BigRed wrote:
OK, you've convinced me. I must separate European Rugby Champions Cup from European Rugby Challenge Cup. :D

But please can someone inform me WHY the matches of both tournaments are virtually ignored by TV if it is such a great tournament.

Take Scarlets v Toulon, two of the top teams in France and Wales, completely ignored by TV?

they aren't ignored???

:scratch: Which channel was Scarlets v Toulon on? I couldn't find it anywhere.


Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:21 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:28 pm
Posts: 10891
Location: Plymouth
Post Re: European Rugby Farce
sky sports

ospreys were on bt 3, at the same time as sarries on bt 2

_________________
Just for one moment I thought I'd found my way, then destiny unfolded, and I watched it slip away


Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:33 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
World XV Player

Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:50 am
Posts: 5520
Post Re: European Rugby Farce
CymraegJanner wrote:
sky sports

ospreys were on bt 3, at the same time as sarries on bt 2

Damn! How did I miss that? I checked Sky Sports and couldn't find it.
Must be something wrong with my TV. :dontknow: :scratch: :scratch:


Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:59 pm
Profile E-mail
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: