It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:06 am

Cardiff / Lyon 1st Round Challege Cup 
Regional Player

Post Re: Cardiff / Lyon 1st Round Challege Cup
Blindside wrote:
JOHNWALES wrote:
There seems to be an anti Blues atmosphere in this forum, as not one member has expressed congratulations for their bonus point win over Top 14 leaders Lyon. Granted, the French side made 13 changes from their previous match, but nevertheless this victory was an excellent performance by the Blues. Well Done Guys....

Yes good point, great performance, they beat Lyons second team at home :hello1:

Whilst I appreciate the smart arsery of your post, the reality is that at the moment Lyon seconds are the level the Blues are at, so regardless of being at home, to pick up maximum points and send them home with nothing is an achievement in itself worthy of note. :thumbright:

Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:55 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Yes I will take my hat off to that :thumbup: :P

Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:33 am
World XV Player

BigRed wrote:
BigRed wrote:
29 - 14 to the Blues.
Lyon down to 13 men for last 8 minutes.

Lyon obviously not interested and now have scored with only 13 men? :dontknow:
29 - 19 to Blues.

French waving the white flag before the game starts....it brings the tournament into disrepute..and the game of rugby, no integrity or backbone.

Absolue shower...as the late Terry Thomas would say. :D

Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:38 am
British & Irish Lions Player

ironrobson21 wrote:
Blindside wrote:
JOHNWALES wrote:
There seems to be an anti Blues atmosphere in this forum, as not one member has expressed congratulations for their bonus point win over Top 14 leaders Lyon. Granted, the French side made 13 changes from their previous match, but nevertheless this victory was an excellent performance by the Blues. Well Done Guys....

Yes good point, great performance, they beat Lyons second team at home :hello1:

Whilst I appreciate the smart arsery of your post, the reality is that at the moment Lyon seconds are the level the Blues are at, so regardless of being at home, to pick up maximum points and send them home with nothing is an achievement in itself worthy of note. :thumbright:

It's not long ago we lost heavily at home to what looked like Harlequins third team. So this is definitely progress.

Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:18 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Langland Exile wrote:
BigRed wrote:
BigRed wrote:
29 - 14 to the Blues.
Lyon down to 13 men for last 8 minutes.

Lyon obviously not interested and now have scored with only 13 men? :dontknow:
29 - 19 to Blues.

French waving the white flag before the game starts....it brings the tournament into disrepute..and the game of rugby, no integrity or backbone.

Absolue shower...as the late Terry Thomas would say. :D

I think that that is a shallow comment!?

Lyon Region is a bastion of footy.

Investors have been trying to establish Rugby there and it has been burgeoning and recently Lyon Rugby have been making significant strides with a excellent Coach, Mignoni, committed squad of inexpensive players and have, at the mo, achieved top Top14 position deservedly with some excellent results.

This follows a similar progress by La Rochelle.

It is positive for french rugby.

Getting TOP6 is a big step and fundamental to their strategy.

Many people think that french club squads are deep. They are not...there are regs that limit # of Pro Contracts. The squads are Strong and usually well invested but not huge.

I have posted the size regulations on here.

Lyon would be more vulnerable because although they are currently successful the top squad is very limited in depth.
I think that their approach to the Challenge at the mo is understandable and not one of cowardice and neglected as suggested?

I was disappointed at the EPCR cop out of 3 leagues and without emphasis to promoting development countries rugby. Maybe a Conference system with SA inclusion can predict a better position?

The Conference set up is underfunded and of questionable quality.

Same goes for Tlse, last night they fielded a 2nd team that drew away. Tlse have fallen in grace but have rejuvenated their management and dynamics and they too are successful this Season.

Bordeaux, another case in point, travelled to Siberia and won in spades with a weaker team.

It is wise to consider the market forces of the current Pro Rugby status and also better understand the dynamics ?

Cardiff fans voted with their feet last night.

The game didn't warrant TV coverage either.

It was neglected on more than one front.

Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:28 am