It is currently Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:39 pm

Ospreys v Stade Francais qf now at Principality Stadium 
British & Irish Lions Player

Post Ospreys v Stade Francais qf now at Principality Stadium
Now that the Premiership have confirmed they want to stage Swansea v Middlesbrough on the same Sunday when Ospreys have their European Challenge Cup quarter-final, this first-ever "home" European quarter-final for the Ospreys has been moved to the Principality Stadium.
http://www.ospreysrugby.com/News/Article/48531

Supremely ironic that the Blues have their quarter-final in Gloucester while Ospreys have theirs in Cardiff!

Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:20 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Post Re: Ospreys v Stade Francais qf now at Principality Stadium
najbritcol wrote:
Now that the Premiership have confirmed they want to stage Swansea v Middlesbrough on the same Sunday when Ospreys have their European Challenge Cup quarter-final, this first-ever "home" European quarter-final for the Ospreys has been moved to the Principality Stadium.

Supremely ironic that the Blues have their quarter-final in Gloucester while Ospreys have theirs in Cardiff!

Why ironic?

If Cardiff had qualified for a home tie they would be playing in Cardiff.

Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:44 pm
World XV Player

Tony Panties wrote:
najbritcol wrote:

Why ironic?

If Cardiff had qualified for a home tie they would be playing in Cardiff.

:thumbup:

Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:46 pm
World XV Player

Better off playing at Pemberton?

Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:19 am
British & Irish Lions Player

Langland Exile wrote:

It was originally suggested, but yet again old-fashioned Welsh tribalism stopped that; after all, the fact that it is the Scarlets ground means it is 'tainted' for many Ospreys supporters, whereas at least the Principality Stadium is a more 'neutral' venue without such connotations.

Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:30 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

najbritcol wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:

It was originally suggested, but yet again old-fashioned Welsh tribalism stopped that; after all, the fact that it is the Scarlets ground means it is 'tainted' for many Ospreys supporters, whereas at least the Principality Stadium is a more 'neutral' venue without such connotations.

Welsh stupidity at its best, let's travel 40 miles when we could go 10..

Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:52 pm
Schools District Player

Langland Exile wrote:
najbritcol wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:

The rental cost from the Union may be lower thanks to the agreement with concessions. The greater capacity of the ground may allow the Ospreys to keep a higher percentage of the ticket income, according to EPCR rules. The corporate facilities at the PS are greater than at PyS thus allowing the Ospreys to sell more and not only just meet their minimum requirements of their own corporate base. The greater capacity of the ground at PS will allow the Os to bring in more supporters for the game, or at least they have backed themselves to do that. Opening up the facilities of PyS to their corporate base is basically free advertising for their rivals in securing business backing, so wouldn't be sensible. The Ospreys would hope to sell more than 14,500 tickets for the game so would wish for a larger capacity than PyS can offer.

All of the above proving the idea to be typical of the Ospreys in backing themselves to be the biggest and, therefore, should be applauded for its ambition and (as you can see) bottom line common sense. It also clouds your appreciation of their decision making process.

Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:42 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Yonkers wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:
najbritcol wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:

The rental cost from the Union may be lower thanks to the agreement with concessions. The greater capacity of the ground may allow the Ospreys to keep a higher percentage of the ticket income, according to EPCR rules. The corporate facilities at the PS are greater than at PyS thus allowing the Ospreys to sell more and not only just meet their minimum requirements of their own corporate base. The greater capacity of the ground at PS will allow the Os to bring in more supporters for the game, or at least they have backed themselves to do that. Opening up the facilities of PyS to their corporate base is basically free advertising for their rivals in securing business backing, so wouldn't be sensible. The Ospreys would hope to sell more than 14,500 tickets for the game so would wish for a larger capacity than PyS can offer.

All of the above proving the idea to be typical of the Ospreys in backing themselves to be the biggest and, therefore, should be applauded for its ambition and (as you can see) bottom line common sense. It also clouds your appreciation of their decision making process.

Not necessarily, since the team barely gets 8,000 at home, why would they get more for a Tier 2 game 40 miles away which has little appeal to the non committed average fan, timed between the 6 Nations and Judgement Day?

I am thinking of the average cash strapped fan, not the mighty corporate types who will fill the best seats..as I am a champion of the poor and down trodden.

I like the irony of the Ospreys getting 10,000-12,000 at the PyS, and putting the Scarlets to shame.. ;)

Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:43 am
Schools District Player

Langland Exile wrote:
Not necessarily, since the team barely gets 8,000 at home, why would they get more for a Tier 2 game 40 miles away which has little appeal to the non committed average fan, timed between the 6 Nations and Judgement Day?

I am thinking of the average cash strapped fan, not the mighty corporate types who will fill the best seats..as I am a champion of the poor and down trodden.

I like the irony of the Ospreys getting 10,000-12,000 at the PyS, and putting the Scarlets to shame.. ;)

They'd obviously hope to get more than their average for an important quarter final game and would obviously back themselves to get more than PyS can hold. If they stuck to playing in a smaller stadium then no doubt many would question their ambition.

The average cash strapped fan can now see the game for £10.

PyS is normally full when the Ospreys play there.

If you are a champion of the poor and down trodden then you must surely applaud this initiative as the retail punter can access the game for £10 whilst the fee paying corporate guests are better catered for so are able to underwrite the discounted retail tickets.

I think if we are all being honest, nothing in this move is "Welsh stupidity".

Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:23 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Yonkers wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:

They'd obviously hope to get more than their average for an important quarter final game and would obviously back themselves to get more than PyS can hold. If they stuck to playing in a smaller stadium then no doubt many would question their ambition.
".

Actually I would turn it around.

If they had ambition they would pack out a 14000 stadium and damn the potential cost to the coffers, and not play in a 1/5 full giant stadium, which has about as much atmosphere as a morgue.

However, the idea of playing at your darkest one eyed inbred rivals shanty town is a bit too much to take, at any level of sport.

I'd have thought the CCS a better choice

Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:22 am
Profile E-mail WWW
Schools District Player

CymraegJanner wrote:
Actually I would turn it around.

If they had ambition they would pack out a 14000 stadium and damn the potential cost to the coffers, and not play in a 1/5 full giant stadium, which has about as much atmosphere as a morgue.

However, the idea of playing at your darkest one eyed inbred rivals shanty town is a bit too much to take, at any level of sport.

I'd have thought the CCS a better choice

Why is it more ambitious to pack out a 14,500 stadium than it is to sell more tickets to a bigger stadium?

I think Cardiff Blues will tell you that renting CCS is fairly expensive so no doubt the WRU have cut a sensible deal with the Ospreys. Putting money into the hands of a soccer club instead of keeping it in rugby would seem a little extreme to some.

Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:26 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Better atmosphere gives a lift to the players. Ambition at trying to win something, not making a quick quid.

As for your last statement about giving money to a soccer club as opposed to a rugby club, speaks volumes about why Welsh rugby is the inferior *fupp* of European rugby

Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:42 am
Profile E-mail WWW
World XV Player

Langland Exile wrote:
najbritcol wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:

Day out in Cardiff or Llanelli? Which would YOU prefer? :twisted: :D

Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:41 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Grand Moff Wilhuff Tarkin wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:
najbritcol wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:

The best part of a day out in Llanelli is leaving there :!:

Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:49 am
World XV Player

Grand Moff Wilhuff Tarkin wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:
najbritcol wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:

Er, a day out in Llanelli would be great. Arrive at the Coastal Path at 7:30 am to hear the birdsong, slip back into the car at 9 am, by which time the "Rush 15 minutes" is over, and take the M4 back to Cardiff, arriving at 10:30 am.

Park up in one of the roads off Cathedral Road - or the vast expanse of Sophia Gardens if you think that's a good idea.

Chose a pub or hotel where they serve edible food and stay all day until an hour before kick off.

Stroll over to the venue and Bob est ton Oncle.

Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:46 pm