It is currently Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:13 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Quarters 
World XV Player

Post Re: Quarters
Langland Exile wrote:
Llew wrote:
SimplyRed wrote:
Llew wrote:
It's good to see three Pro12 teams in the QF of the Champions cup, only shame is there's no Welsh team there, but that's nothing new. ( Scots in fairness have one team in each cup QF). Still we have two teams in the Challenge cup, and I think Ospreys have a strong shout in this one.

Challenge Cup QF's ;

Ospreys v Stade Francais
Bath v Brive
Edinburgh v La Rochelle
Gloucester v Blues

Ospreys, Bath, Edinburgh and Gloucester..

Yup, I'll go with that. :thumbup:

Stade were good at home, but the O's should win..

Was at Liberty HC Pool match Jan 2007 Osps/Stade F, draw game 22/22 .. think it was a last min pen that saved it for Stade F
Grandsons were mascots

Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:10 pm
Regional Player

I predict the Ospreys to go all the way and win it.
I'll be happy if a Pro 12 side wins the other one.

Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:38 pm
Profile E-mail
British & Irish Lions Player

Tony Panties wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:
Llew wrote:
SimplyRed wrote:
Llew wrote:
It's good to see three Pro12 teams in the QF of the Champions cup, only shame is there's no Welsh team there, but that's nothing new. ( Scots in fairness have one team in each cup QF). Still we have two teams in the Challenge cup, and I think Ospreys have a strong shout in this one.

Challenge Cup QF's ;

Ospreys v Stade Francais
Bath v Brive
Edinburgh v La Rochelle
Gloucester v Blues

Ospreys, Bath, Edinburgh and Gloucester..

Yup, I'll go with that. :thumbup:

Stade were good at home, but the O's should win..

Was at Liberty HC Pool match Jan 2007 Osps/Stade F, draw game 22/22 .. think it was a last min pen that saved it for Stade F
Grandsons were mascots

I think Ospreys will win it, especially as SF have declined considerably as a power in recent years.

Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:37 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Best players, Parisse excepted, seem to be leaving..

Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:44 am
World XV Player

Langland Exile wrote:
Best players, Parisse excepted, seem to be leaving..

Yep, they are in complete disarray.
Savare saved them from the glitz, kitsch excesses of Guazzini eg 400k calender sales of risque player pics and 'bought' the club (against family wishes).

Unlike others like Boudjellal, Lorenzetti, Altrad, Marti it was more of an expensive toy.

The glitz and the 'extreme' persona of the Club attracted lots of support. Highly paid coaches were recruited McKenzie, Cheika amongst them (this incurred early termination of expensive contracts). They didn't succeed despite expensive recruitment (a Top14 Championship was distinctly a one off when they won it a couple of Seasons ago).

One felt that players like Parrise had too much influence in the Club. He has 'invested' (note the quotes ) 20m euros to date and will have to be more this Season to pay off deficit and avoid audit consequence. Players have left, prime internationals amongst them e.g Fra tight head Slimani to Clerm etc. The Coach Quesada announced weeks ago that he is leavinng end of Season. The ground was developed and modernised and now attracts near 10k average far flung from the 80k bonanza's of the past.

The Club is now up for Sale and not many buyers in sight, maybe the Qataris can do a PSG on 'em :kermit:

A lesson of throwing money at a Pro Sport without direct expertise and rugby nous.

Savare is a hugely successful and respected businessman.
He is also a rational, reasonable man amongst a sea of sharks.

Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:01 am
World XV Player

Llew wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
If La Rochelle want it they can win it ie the Cup.

That's a fair call, as you say IF they want it. Or do they have their eyes fixed on a much bigger prize, the T14. What's behind their impressive rise, over a short period of time, on what looks like a modest budget in French terms ?

Put your glasses on mun. ;)

Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:00 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Llew wrote:
Llew wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:

That's a fair call, as you say IF they want it. Or do they have their eyes fixed on a much bigger prize, the T14. What's behind their impressive rise, over a short period of time, on what looks like a modest budget in French terms ?

Prime :

Support levels, Regular 15k capacity attendance, highest ticket S Ticks sales in Top14 ...11k. Super ambiance always
and home venue becoming a fortress but they perform well away too.

coaching team relatively unsung but have developed a varied game plan with emphasis on attack. This might amuse :

http://www.skysports.com/rugby-union/ne ... rollicking

ex Tlse and Fra wing back Garbojosa is backs coach

They don't have many top players buthave recruited well...The recruitment of Vito has been a spectacular success. Not having many internationals helps in matches run in parallel to internationals etc. They develop players well and now the international selection is begining to wake up to it...this could prove counter productive xref the begining of this para ;) They do have a contingent of foreigners, quality but not the big stars.

They have some aces, winger Lacroix is a try machine and they play him well.

They spend wisely and their budget is 12th in Top14 @ 18.2m euros

They were considered a yo yo club but have now emerged as real contenders and have balanced their commitment to the Challenge Cup too despite being up there withthe best in Top14 which is a huge priority.

Population is relatively low and they have significant neighbour competition with Bdx rugby and Top level pro footy.

A bit like Connacht ... surprising what can be achieved with astute planning and investmeny

Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:42 am
World XV Player

Tony Panties wrote:
Llew wrote:
Llew wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:

Prime :

Support levels, Regular 15k capacity attendance, highest ticket S Ticks sales in Top14 ...11k. Super ambiance always
and home venue becoming a fortress but they perform well away too.

coaching team relatively unsung but have developed a varied game plan with emphasis on attack. This might amuse :

http://www.skysports.com/rugby-union/ne ... rollicking

ex Tlse and Fra wing back Garbojosa is backs coach

They don't have many top players buthave recruited well...The recruitment of Vito has been a spectacular success. Not having many internationals helps in matches run in parallel to internationals etc. They develop players well and now the international selection is begining to wake up to it...this could prove counter productive xref the begining of this para ;) They do have a contingent of foreigners, quality but not the big stars.

They have some aces, winger Lacroix is a try machine and they play him well.

They spend wisely and their budget is 12th in Top14 @ 18.2m euros

They were considered a yo yo club but have now emerged as real contenders and have balanced their commitment to the Challenge Cup too despite being up there withthe best in Top14 which is a huge priority.

Population is relatively low and they have significant neighbour competition with Bdx rugby and Top level pro footy.

A bit like Connacht ... surprising what can be achieved with astute planning and investmeny

Ta. Which for me commands some respect, in contrast to some of the sugar daddy millionaire clubs they're competing with. Good on them :thumbup:

Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:01 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Tony Panties wrote:

Clerm v Toulon

Leinster v Wasps

Munster v Toulouse

Saracens v Glasgow

Hmmm..

My SF selections: Clermont, Leinster, Munster, Saracens.

Sean

Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:48 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

I'm not going to write off Wasps or Glasgow anywhere.

Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:39 pm
Site Admin

Fids the Blindside wrote:
Would not be surprised to see either or even both in the final especially the way Glasgow put Leic to the sword.

Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:45 pm
Profile E-mail
British & Irish Lions Player

Thegrimriper wrote:
Fids the Blindside wrote:
Would not be surprised to see either or even both in the final especially the way Glasgow put Leic to the sword.

In Glasgow's case, it depends on how many of their players survive the 6N. The fact they tend to worsen somewhat during international periods shows that their strength-in-depth only goes so far. All the same, they are one of the most improved sides in European rugby for sure.

Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:49 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Leicester were proper dog shit but all Glasgow have to do in a quarter final is create as many scoring opportunity's but due to the better side involved convert 2 or 3 of them to win, nobody will allow them 7.

Well, Newport might :D

Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:23 pm
Regional Player

Abertawe Leinster wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:

Clerm v Toulon

Leinster v Wasps

Munster v Toulouse

Saracens v Glasgow

Hmmm..

My SF selections: Clermont, Leinster, Munster, Saracens.

Sean

The Leinster game is at the Aviva

Leinster.ie
Quote:
Leinster finished top of Champions Cup Pool 4, securing the 4th seed in the knock-out stages.

This set up a meeting with Wasps, the winners of Pool 2 and the 5th ranked team in the quarter-final draw.

The two teams will meet in Aviva Stadium on the weekend of 31st March, with kick-off times for all quarter-final games to be confirmed by EPCR this week.

Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:07 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Taking my 89 year old father to the Cardiff game at Kingsholm. It should be a very close game

Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:50 pm
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next