It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:31 pm

Exeter vs Ulster 
World XV Player

Post Re: Exeter vs Ulster
Troron wrote:
Jack Nowell had a good game but will almost certainly be overlooked for even the Lions midweek team. For whatever reason he just isn't rated outside England.

Weren't there questions about his defensive game?

Sean

Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:39 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Troron wrote:
Jack Nowell had a good game but will almost certainly be overlooked for even the Lions midweek team. For whatever reason he just isn't rated outside England.

jacks problem is he has everything in the locker, including attitude, but sometimes he gets it wrong, which is what makes him a very good player, and not quite really up there

Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:45 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
British & Irish Lions Player

Abertawe Leinster wrote:

Sean

If there were then they are ridiculous, he is one of the best English wingers in defence. Besides getting stepped today in a situation I'm not sure many other players could have dealt with, he didn't do a lot wrong and did a lot right. He also then got is own back by stepping Piutau when setting up his own try later on.

CymraegJanner wrote:
Troron wrote:

jacks problem is he has everything in the locker, including attitude, but sometimes he gets it wrong, which is what makes him a very good player, and not quite really up there

Every winger makes mistakes but he has fronted up to wingers from every nation and come off just as well as they have, if not better. Compare to the alternative Lions wingers and show ones that don't make more errors. I just can't find reasons to not even consider him beyond some vague comments that aren't really supported.

Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:58 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Troron wrote:
Abertawe Leinster wrote:

Sean

If there were then they are ridiculous, he is one of the best English wingers in defence. Besides getting stepped today in a situation I'm not sure many other players could have dealt with, he didn't do a lot wrong and did a lot right. He also then got is own back by stepping Piutau when setting up his own try later on.

CymraegJanner wrote:
Troron wrote:

Every winger makes mistakes but he has fronted up to wingers from every nation and come off just as well as they have, if not better. Compare to the alternative Lions wingers and show ones that don't make more errors. I just can't find reasons to not even consider him beyond some vague comments that aren't really supported.

So why do you think he isn't rated?

Sean

Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:04 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Troron wrote:
Abertawe Leinster wrote:

Sean

CymraegJanner wrote:
Troron wrote:

if you cant find reasons, you don't really watch him. more specifically jack under thinks or overthinks things. Often it works and he looks amazing, regularly it doesn't and that offsets the great stuff, and at the top level where single decisions can cause a loss, erring on the side of conservatism is the way things work, like it or not.
Incidentally I think he'll be a lion

Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:09 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
British & Irish Lions Player

Abertawe Leinster wrote:
So why do you think he isn't rated?

Sean

If I knew then I wouldn't have wondered why he isn't. Look at the same reason only last year there were no English players in anyone's Lions squads and we weren't even considered as contenders for the 6N, some even believing it was the year Italy and Scotland would beat us, and now it's considered to be an English-Irish dominated Lions. I'll just quote what Jones has said "England have produced no world class players since Wilkinson". There is an element of truth but the view still persists that we simply do not produce any of the best players anywhere. Only a grand slam, whitewash away and a record equalling winning streak have begun to change that perception.

CymraegJanner wrote:
if you cant find reasons, you don't really watch him. more specifically jack under thinks or overthinks things. Often it works and he looks amazing, regularly it doesn't and that offsets the great stuff, and at the top level where single decisions can cause a loss, erring on the side of conservatism is the way things work, like it or not.
Incidentally I think he'll be a lion

Exeter are my 2nd favourite side so I see him for most club games as well as internationals. He frequently is solid in defence often covering 2 on 1's and beating supposedly superior aerial players in the air. At international level he has been a match for every winger he has met so far. Do you hear NZ talking about how conservatism is the way their wingers should play? In fact wingers are your least conservative players, that's why some roam infield, because they offer more spark in attack than other players. My main point is that for example North is still brought up in many Lions sheets and yet can anyone really say that North is in better form than Nowell in any aspect of his game? He has the magic "world class" label which seems to override the fact that his form really is not good.

Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:24 pm
Profile E-mail