It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:11 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
Toulon/Scarlets 1st Rnd Champions Cup 
Author Message
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:37 pm
Posts: 10604
Post Toulon/Scarlets 1st Rnd Champions Cup
No moaning fans, ...a Welsh Ref born in Pontypool and operating under RFU ;)

Tln currently 5th in lead and not playing well.

Taking a line through the Ulster game Scarlets can expect a midfield hammering from the likes of Nonu/Bastereaud.. on the other hand Bastereaud is cumbersome in defence against agile attacking teams like Scarlets.

Key players, Bonneval/FB, Ashton/wing, Nonu/Bastereaud-centre, Isa Argie/back row, Olivon back row,Taofefenua/2nd row, Vermulen, Guirado/hooker and especially Tuisova/wing .. one of the very best 7s players, fast, elusive and a muscular brute!

Injured currently : Vermulen, Nonu, Olivon, Habana (2nd choice now)

They love control but detest fast, open teams who run them around and tire the big pack(Scarlets?).

They don't have a consistent kicker (they miss 1/2P)

They'll know 1/2P +/ve and -/ve and he'll know them ;)

I genuinely believe that Scarlets are in with a chance.

It's a difficult venue to play at.

One awaits teams and injuries...usually on Euro site 48hrs in advance


Image[/

_________________
ImageEasy to consider past and present, it's the future and associated plan and strategy to achieve that takes the talent ..


Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:05 pm
Profile
British & Irish Lions Player

Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:42 pm
Posts: 2043
Post Re: Toulon/Scarlets 1st Rnd Champions Cup
On this occasion, I'm not sure either team will really dominate the other. Maybe a draw? ;)


Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:12 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 06, 2004 5:40 pm
Posts: 59361
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Post Re: Toulon/Scarlets 1st Rnd Champions Cup
Scarlets will need Halfpenny fit if last might was an indicator

_________________
We are all in the gutter but me and my mam are looking at the stars!


Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:28 pm
Profile
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:37 pm
Posts: 10604
Post Re: Toulon/Scarlets 1st Rnd Champions Cup
Any news on Scarlets squad, injuries etc ?

I've looked at the Toulon aspects and all very 'closed' at the mo.

I think that the obligation is team announcement 48 hrs in advance

All the games carry it when it is official, just click the match here

http://epcrugby.com/matchcentre/fixture ... ns_cup.php

_________________
ImageEasy to consider past and present, it's the future and associated plan and strategy to achieve that takes the talent ..


Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:56 am
Profile
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 06, 2004 5:40 pm
Posts: 59361
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Post Re: Toulon/Scarlets 1st Rnd Champions Cup
Rob Evans and John Barclay out, Halfpenny doubtful.

Might be a very ask over there.

_________________
We are all in the gutter but me and my mam are looking at the stars!


Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:23 pm
Profile
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:37 pm
Posts: 10604
Post Re: Toulon/Scarlets 1st Rnd Champions Cup
Langland Exile wrote:
Rob Evans and John Barclay out, Halfpenny doubtful.

Might be a very ask over there.

Tks
That's an important list :(
There's a list of injuries for RCT some of whch long term.

Nonu availability will be important for them...he's had conc rest.

Galthié's reign as Coach hasn't particularly started well.

_________________
ImageEasy to consider past and present, it's the future and associated plan and strategy to achieve that takes the talent ..


Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:34 pm
Profile
British & Irish Lions Player
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 10, 2014 9:10 am
Posts: 2206
Post Re: Toulon/Scarlets 1st Rnd Champions Cup
Tony Panties wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:
Rob Evans and John Barclay out, Halfpenny doubtful.

Might be a very ask over there.

Tks
That's an important list :(
There's a list of injuries for RCT some of whch long term.

Nonu availability will be important for them...he's had conc rest.

Galthié's reign as Coach hasn't particularly started well.
Toulon's depth is fantastic to be fair.
Rob and Barclay are big losses. Halfpenny will play, I have no doubt.

We will have to be on our Pro12 winning best and hope for Toulon to be a bit complacent on the day.


Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:53 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:37 pm
Posts: 10604
Post Re: Toulon/Scarlets 1st Rnd Champions Cup
According to this Nonu will play against Scarlets and will probably start

I dont think that is good news?

http://www.lequipe.fr/Rugby/Actualites/ ... ope/841779

_________________
ImageEasy to consider past and present, it's the future and associated plan and strategy to achieve that takes the talent ..


Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:21 pm
Profile
World XV Player

Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:08 pm
Posts: 3258
Post Re: Toulon/Scarlets 1st Rnd Champions Cup
Will be tough for scarlets who really needed their best players available including Evans and barclay

Hopefully wyn jones gives a good account of himself as he is a great advert for perseverance.

As ever a lot of pressure on ball and lee to provide grunt to a pack based on mobility


Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:29 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:37 pm
Posts: 10604
Post Re: Toulon/Scarlets 1st Rnd Champions Cup
AverageBBCjournalist wrote:
Will be tough for scarlets who really needed their best players available including Evans and barclay

Hopefully wyn jones gives a good account of himself as he is a great advert for perseverance.

As ever a lot of pressure on ball and lee to provide grunt to a pack based on mobility


Teams not formerly announced but this am's Press suggestion of Clermont's team looks ominous

They have been off form big time but if that lot click Osps could be buried!

PS Jarvis on the bench (I'm surprised the Georgian prop is not selected!)

PPS Fofana, Nakaitaci, Toeava backs all injured and Itturia the international 2nd row

We'll have to wait another 24 hrs to get the teams ..



Image

_________________
ImageEasy to consider past and present, it's the future and associated plan and strategy to achieve that takes the talent ..


Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:41 am
Profile
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:37 pm
Posts: 10604
Post Re: Toulon/Scarlets 1st Rnd Champions Cup
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Pls ignore

Osps...Scarlets ....knickers twisted

_________________
ImageEasy to consider past and present, it's the future and associated plan and strategy to achieve that takes the talent ..


Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:58 am
Profile
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:37 pm
Posts: 10604
Post Re: Toulon/Scarlets 1st Rnd Champions Cup
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This the suggested selection in french press today

IF valid, uderlines the expected mid field powerhouse and tactic à la Ulster.
Ace wings, Tuisova is frightening.
Isa back row another danger man.

but,

Scarlets style of play capable of running Toulon around and they are not fit and don't like fast paced games. 4Q could be telling

++ their injury list is huge (see infirmerie at bottom of selection).

I confess I've predicted Toulon by 7 :shock:

Image

_________________
ImageEasy to consider past and present, it's the future and associated plan and strategy to achieve that takes the talent ..


Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:08 am
Profile
World XV Player

Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:50 am
Posts: 5292
Post Re: Toulon/Scarlets 1st Rnd Champions Cup
Teams:

Toulon: Hugo Bonneval; Josua Tuisova, Mathieu Bastareaud (capt), Ma'a Nonu, Chris Ashton; Anthony Belleau, Eric Escande; Florian Fresia, Guilhem Guirado, Marcel Van Der Merwe, Swan Rebbadj, Mamuka Gorgodze, Juan Fernandez Lobbe, Facundo Isa, Raphael Lakafia.

Replacements: Anthony Etrillard, Xavier Chiocci, Levan Chilachava, Rudy Gahetau, Semi Radradra, Francois Trinh-Duc, Sebastien Tillous-Borde, Juandre Kruger.

Scarlets: Leigh Halfpenny; Johnny Mcnicholl, Jonathan Davies, Scott Williams (capt), Steff Evans; Rhys Patchell, Aled Davies; Wyn Jones, Ryan Elias, Samson Lee, Jake Ball, Lewis Rawlins, Aaron Shingler, Will Boyde, Tadhg Beirne.

Replacements: Ken Owens, Dylan Evans, Werner Kruger, David Bulbring, Josh Macleod, Gareth Davies, Paul Asquith, Hadleigh Parkes.

Referee: Luke Pearce (England)

Assistant referees: Jack Makepeace (England) and Nigel Carrick (England)

TMO: Rowan Kitt (England)


Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:39 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:37 pm
Posts: 10604
Post Re: Toulon/Scarlets 1st Rnd Champions Cup
BigRed wrote:
Teams:

Toulon: Hugo Bonneval; Josua Tuisova, Mathieu Bastareaud (capt), Ma'a Nonu, Chris Ashton; Anthony Belleau, Eric Escande; Florian Fresia, Guilhem Guirado, Marcel Van Der Merwe, Swan Rebbadj, Mamuka Gorgodze, Juan Fernandez Lobbe, Facundo Isa, Raphael Lakafia.

Replacements: Anthony Etrillard, Xavier Chiocci, Levan Chilachava, Rudy Gahetau, Semi Radradra, Francois Trinh-Duc, Sebastien Tillous-Borde, Juandre Kruger.

Scarlets: Leigh Halfpenny; Johnny Mcnicholl, Jonathan Davies, Scott Williams (capt), Steff Evans; Rhys Patchell, Aled Davies; Wyn Jones, Ryan Elias, Samson Lee, Jake Ball, Lewis Rawlins, Aaron Shingler, Will Boyde, Tadhg Beirne.

Replacements: Ken Owens, Dylan Evans, Werner Kruger, David Bulbring, Josh Macleod, Gareth Davies, Paul Asquith, Hadleigh Parkes.

Referee: Luke Pearce (England)

Assistant referees: Jack Makepeace (England) and Nigel Carrick (England)

TMO: Rowan Kitt (England)


Toulon, FB, 3/4s all strong and threatening. Tuisova a killer!

Beallau a v promising youngster but Scarlets should get to him! pity Davies isn't around! 2nd choice 9 ... 1/2 backs vulnerable but Bellau is certainly one for the future

Forwards not that impressive and sluggish, Gogodze is a yellow machine! I think that this is the Scarlets opportunity .. run 'em around and 4Q could be theirs!!
Guirado value for money and Isa is v v dangerous and in full form and their form player! .

Bench
Props, Trinh-Duc and Tillous Borde strong.

Kicker, Bellau can be ok but Trinh-Duc poor neither a patch on 1/2P!!

Scarlets have every opportunity, ...I worry a bit about Williams in the centre v Bastereaud/Nonu :scratch:

_________________
ImageEasy to consider past and present, it's the future and associated plan and strategy to achieve that takes the talent ..


Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:45 pm
Profile
British & Irish Lions Player
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 10, 2014 9:10 am
Posts: 2206
Post Re: Toulon/Scarlets 1st Rnd Champions Cup
Tony Panties wrote:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This the suggested selection in french press today

IF valid, uderlines the expected mid field powerhouse and tactic à la Ulster.
Ace wings, Tuisova is frightening.
Isa back row another danger man.

but,

Scarlets style of play capable of running Toulon around and they are not fit and don't like fast paced games. 4Q could be telling

++ their injury list is huge (see infirmerie at bottom of selection).

I confess I've predicted Toulon by 7 :shock:

Image

Toulon by =<7 would be a good result


Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:28 pm
Profile E-mail
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: