It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:21 am

Euro Cup attendance comparisons over the Seasons 
World XV Player

Post Euro Cup attendance comparisons over the Seasons
I've just been comparing euro cup competitions over the last 10 years and was surprised to discover the following (see graph).

Not really looked further into it yet but some of the Region gates were interesting cue 2008/9 etc

Posted it just for interest at this stage 'cos it surprised me ;)

Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:23 am
British & Irish Lions Player

Post Re: Euro Cup attendance comparisons over the Seasons
Is this specifically about Welsh regions or all teams in Europe? The late noughties was when the Irish provinces were becoming very powerful and attracting lots more support. Further, by their standards the Welsh regions were also relatively formidable - don't forget that the Blues were just one Martyn Williams drop goal away from a final in 2009 and won the Challenge Cup in 2010.

Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:51 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Post Re: Euro Cup attendance comparisons over the Seasons
najbritcol wrote:
Is this specifically about Welsh regions or all teams in Europe? The late noughties was when the Irish provinces were becoming very powerful and attracting lots more support. Further, by their standards the Welsh regions were also relatively formidable - don't forget that the Blues were just one Martyn Williams drop goal away from a final in 2009 and won the Challenge Cup in 2010 .

It is the total Champs Cup or equivalent competition which, of course, varies Season by Season.
Ireland are a big influence cue the capacity increase for Ulster but the same applies to the Pro 12 in that respect.
Seems to me that there's a variety of reasons including : instances of teams that stay at home with the 15k limit for quarter finals (Toulon, Saracens, Quins et al) for home advantage in preference for revenue, others that exploit the offsite bonanza effect, a low gate qualifier like Sale in Aviva can degrade overall whilst Scottish and Italian consistently underachieve. Final venue and teams involved has an effect too e.g all french final in Dublin and similar... this Season French / English in Murrayfield.

I don't think that there's any defining reason, it just surprised me .. I thought there might have been more growth.

The last Season has reputedly increased EPCR euro allocation to clubs but the source of increase is not identified and the EPCR annual accounts are not in the public domain.

It was interesting to see some Regional gates as mentioned.

How long the EPCR will last in it's current format is anybody's guess, despite current contract, but seems we're headed for conferences .....

Rumoured some games may stray from N Hemp territory ...

This will be the hub of subsequent springboard as long as the w/wide timetable is sensibly outlined by World Rugby.

Programmed blocks would be good for everybody?

PS I have the unique Country stats but not outlined them at the mo. Recently there's been less presence in the Champs Cup from Regions.

Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:11 pm