It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:33 am

End scrums for kids ? 
World XV Player

Post End scrums for kids ?
Interesting topic here which will be of particular interest to the coaches. What surprises me is the disparity of approach to scrummaging at different ages in different unions ? Surely that is something that could be universally applied , once an agreement is arrived at. ? Thoughts ?

Quote:
Banning scrums in children's rugby could help cut the number of injuries in the game, an academic has said.
Dr Gethin Thomas, a coaching science lecturer, also believes children should be split by ability as young as possible.
The Irish and Welsh rugby unions suggest starting scrums at under-nine level; they start at under-10 in England and under-11 in Scotland.
But Dr Thomas said children should not be in scrums until they are 13.
The call comes after World Rugby's chief medical officer, Dr Martin Rafterty, said changes could be made to tackle laws in order to reduce the risk of concussion.
When it comes to tackling, the home nations are almost unanimous in the way they introduce it to young players.
'No reason'
They all begin with tag rugby and bring in tackling at under-nine level, except for Ireland, where they start contact a year earlier.
Dr Thomas, who lectures at Cardiff Metropolitan University and Coleg Cymraeg Cenedlaethol, recently worked with the Rugby Football Union in England.
He said: "I wouldn't introduce scrums until 13 or 14 years old and when I spoke to a number of elite coaches, they agree.
"The same goes with lineouts - there's no reason to begin lineouts unless you can lift and individuals aren't strong enough to lift."
Last month, Wales and Worcester Warriors forward Jonathan Thomas was forced to retire from rugby on medical advice, after he was diagnosed with epilepsy thought to have resulted from multiple head traumas.
Wales wing George North also suffered from concussion in the run up to the World Cup, after suffering four blows to the head in a five-month period last season.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-34673247

Link to research work undertaken by Thomas for the RFU @ Exeter University ;

http://www.exeter.ac.uk/research/partnership/rfu/

Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:25 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

Post Re: End scrums for kids ?
Not read the links but there is some misleading stuff in there regarding scrums.

Yes we have introduced scrums at lower ages, but they are uncontested i.e. no pushing, only team putting in get to hook. They gradually get harder but even at Junior level it is 0.5m (one step) backwards push or it is a penalty, and no more than 45' turn.

Not quite sure how they feel scrums cause concussion in Wales, if they do then blame the refs :)

With regard aligning the pathway, never going to happen sadly, we have tried.

Internet Marketing Consultancy - SEO Agony Uncle

Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:08 pm
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

Post Re: End scrums for kids ?
I had my first collapsed scrum a few weeks ago, under 13s game where the opposition, who were much, much bigger than us, pushed early and our itty bitty front row wasn't expecting it.

A royal rollocking and free kick later and all was fine after that.

Lineouts are quite amusing with lifting but I see no real benefit in it at under 13s, I'd start it at under 15s when the players have started to develop a bit so muscle.

I do think that grouping players by size rather than age is a good idea however with many teams struggling to get a starting 15 I don't see how this could work.

Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:17 am
Profile E-mail