It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:57 pm

Mini & Junior rugby falling apart? 
Regional Player

Post Mini & Junior rugby falling apart?
A similar situation, but nowhere near as many, happened at the beginning of last season in that so many teams have folded.

In the last 4 weeks and only in Gwent and West Glam I have counted around 14 age groups have gone and anecdotally that there are 40+ across South Wales.

We all know that there are issues with districts taking U15 players leaving their club team short but there have been around 7 U12 and U13 teams which is very concerning.

Some will say it's due to football but I think it runs deeper than that, any suggestions on what it may be and how it can be resolved? Something has to be done and pretty soon.

Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:30 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

Post Re: Mini & Junior rugby falling apart?
This season has been the worse I can remember, we have lost a lot of teams within the first week or two of the season. it is very worrying.

Internet Marketing Consultancy - SEO Agony Uncle

Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:39 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Found out today that my local side's youth team have folded as half of their players were poached for the youth of their local rivals, who just happen to be a Welsh Prem club. Many disappointed kids, most of whom have said they are now going to play football instead.

Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:36 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Very sad

I remember a few years ago Caerphilly U13-14's poached a load of Machen Juniors, luckily they kept going with the odd game and I think have good numbers these days.

Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:42 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

This is the problem and the reason why Youth rugby is dying on its feet a LOT of it has to do with dwindling numbers at first team level and/or poaching (upward feed) of players to higher level clubs.

Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:59 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Chris ScumV wrote:
This is the problem and the reason why Youth rugby is dying on its feet a LOT of it has to do with dwindling numbers at first team level and/or poaching (upward feed) of players to higher level clubs.

Why else is this happening Chris?

Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:00 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Site Admin

Parental interference (which is their right) where players who are playing for the regional age grade teams are suddenly not available for their clubs (due to parental choice). This causes teams to fold.

Players are leaving the game in droves at 16+ . The other reason is that once a player reaches 16 he is drafted into youth teams to make up the numbers, the U16 team then suffers and often folds.

there is a huge review going on at the moment, everyone involved in the game is sitting down together and talking on a local and National level. E.G. we had an ospreys meeting recently (well a couple) present were members from the junior rugby district, the youth district the senior district and the second districts. also included ladies rugby etc.

We were ALL in the same room talking things through, getting a better understanding of everything as it is, and how we can improve it.

When it is all washed through, the reality is too many clubs/not enough players.

These are my personal thoughts however not any official reply :)

Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:11 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

THanks Chris.
in England its not that co-ordinated with school rugby played on a Saturday, mostly private schools and some state schools, with Club rugby on a Sunday morning.
there will always be more players in England I guess?
as for Wales, I have seen Cowbridge school still putting out teams, but no Saturday morning rugby. That was a great loss in Wales and cant see it ever returning can you?

Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:45 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Site Admin

SimplyRed wrote:
THanks Chris.
in England its not that co-ordinated with school rugby played on a Saturday, mostly private schools and some state schools, with Club rugby on a Sunday morning.
there will always be more players in England I guess?
as for Wales, I have seen Cowbridge school still putting out teams, but no Saturday morning rugby. That was a great loss in Wales and cant see it ever returning can you?

All dates back to the 1980s really when I was in school, teachers pretty much worked to rule due to disputed with Keith Joseph and other Tory Education secretaries. It meant he death knell for out of school activities and not entirely sure they ever went back to it.

Certainly not Saturday morning games anyway

Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:50 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
World XV Player

We'd have 3 or 4 teachers on the bus Saturday morning.

Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:55 pm
Site Admin

The new system IS school based. Schools recruit then transfer the players to clubs and fight to retain them within the game. hence the MASSIVE investment into schools rugby.

With the WRU paying £18,000 of a teachers wages at every hub school

Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:32 pm
Profile E-mail
British & Irish Lions Player

Chris ScumV wrote:
The new system IS school based. Schools recruit then transfer the players to clubs and fight to retain them within the game. hence the MASSIVE investment into schools rugby.

With the WRU paying £18,000 of a teachers wages at every hub school

As far as I am aware Chris, the WRU pay £10,000 and the other half is paid by the school, or schools, depending on the circumstances. Some Hub Officers are also paid with contributions from local clubs and/or sponsors.

Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:05 am
Profile WWW
World XV Player

pardon my ignorance here fellas, whats a hub coach?

Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:36 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
British & Irish Lions Player

SimplyRed wrote:
pardon my ignorance here fellas, whats a hub coach?

http://www.wru.co.uk/eng/news/31316.php#.VjKMTWtfcik

Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:15 pm
Profile WWW
World XV Player

Quote:
The 'school-club hub officers' have a variety of backgrounds including former professional rugby players, current semi-professional players, coaches, teachers and development professionals, and have been employed by 43 schools and colleges as full time rugby officers with a key objective to increase the amount of rugby played at schools and clubs.

Some of the appointments in the Dragons region include Bridgend assistant coach Mike Hook who has been employed by Lewis School, Pengam; Cross Keys captain Adam Powell as Tredegar Comprehensive's new rugby officer; Pontypridd flanker Jake Thomas is at Newbridge Comprehensive and Dragons outside half Dorian Jones, son of Kingsley has joined his old teachers at Brynmawr.

Quote:
Former Wales and Dragons hooker Steve Jones has joined the ranks at Gower College, former Ospreys flanker Ben Thomas is making waves at Brynteg Comprehensive, former Wales centre Neil Boobyer and Chris Jones share joint responsibility for the role at Treorchy Comprehensive, ........................

Quote:
The schools, working closely with the Welsh Rugby Union, have signed up to a set of criteria which will ensure the rugby officers offer opportunities to play the national sport - in its various forms - to both boys and girls of all abilities throughout the school and that there is an effective communication and interface between the school and neighbouring club. The Welsh Rugby Union has provided funding to the schools to enable them to make these appointments.

The initiative has been developed and rolled out following the root and branch review into Welsh rugby recently carried out by WRU Head of Rugby Josh Lewsey.

I think Lewsey might be earning his corn.

Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:51 pm