It is currently Fri May 26, 2017 3:56 pm

Quick line out query 
Mini Player

Post Quick line out query
Consider the following situation and help with the outcome......

Team awarded penalty on halfway kicked to touch. Ball crosses touch line and is caught by opposition wing. Player from team that kicked to touch asks for ball and wing gives it to him. Player in possession takes quick throwin to teammate who runs and scores. Should try be given or not? No other player touched the ball other than the wing who caught it and the ball travelled at least 5metres straight. Some spectators weren't happy with the refs decision.......

WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:25 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Post Re: Quick line out query
I'd be interested to know why some people thought it should not be awarded.

I cannot see anything wrong here, unless I am missing something in the Pathway for a particular age-group.

Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:27 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
World XV Player

Glyndwr wrote:
I'd be interested to know why some people thought it should not be awarded.

I cannot see anything wrong here, unless I am missing something in the Pathway for a particular age-group.

^^^^^^^^

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:30 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Depends on whether the opposing winger caught the ball AFTER it had gone into touch, or before.

Law 19.2(d)
For a quick throw-in, the player must use the ball that went into touch. A quick throw-in is not permitted if another person has touched the ball apart from the player throwing it in and an opponent who carried it into touch. The same team throws into the lineout.

If the opponent didn't carry the ball into touch, but was in contact with it when it was already in touch, a quick throw in is not allowed according to the laws of the game.

Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:36 pm
World XV Player

CarmarthenLad wrote:
Depends on whether the opposing winger caught the ball AFTER it had gone into touch, or before.

Law 19.2(d)
For a quick throw-in, the player must use the ball that went into touch. A quick throw-in is not permitted if another person has touched the ball apart from the player throwing it in and an opponent who carried it into touch. The same team throws into the lineout.

If the opponent didn't carry the ball into touch, but was in contact with it when it was already in touch, a quick throw in is not allowed according to the laws of the game.

Learn something every day

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:52 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

yep, if the ball is youched by anyone no quick throw in can be taken. which is why uyou coach your players to run into touch and release the ball so it hits a ball boy or similar. ;)

Throwing it away is a penalty, but releasing it and letting it go isn't.

bad sportsmanship I guess, but it is certainly something i consider part of the game.

Internet Marketing Consultancy - SEO Agony Uncle

Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:21 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Thanks, CL.

Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:22 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
REF

Remember Mike Phillips v Ireland a few seasons ago... :D

Twitter & Facebook