It is currently Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:53 pm

Rugby Schools 
Post Rugby Schools
As you know I watch a lot of NZ & SAfrican rugby. (10 games this weekend)
Listening to comments by both NZ & Sa announcers, they regularly bring up names of schools/colleges that seem to produce a lot of top class players we are now seeing there. Do we have ANY schools/colleges in Wales that consistenly produce young players this way. :dontknow:

Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:42 am
Site Admin

Post Re: Rugby Schools
Yes, we do. There are plenty of schools and colleges that regularly get linked to players, but the development system is different now. The districts and clubs develop the players way more than the schools and colleges.

Difference is Bri that when the kids in Wales get to college age, they are Academy players, so theya re studying for a parallell career, while at the Regional Rugby Academies.

Internet Marketing Consultancy - SEO Agony Uncle

Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:49 am
Profile E-mail
Thanks Chris, I left the green hills in 1968 but try my best to keep abreast of what is happenig on the rugby scene there. Unfortunately keeping up with this issue was not on my radar.

Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:20 am
Site Admin

Traditionally Pencoed has had a conveyor belt, but that has pretty much changed. as the WRU have together with the clubs, put in place a system that picks up the talent from age 12 onwards.

Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:37 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

down here in the westcuntree, the acadamies are based at schools, so if you get asked to the academy, you go to that school.

Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:22 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Site Admin

CymraegJanner wrote:
down here in the westcuntree, the acadamies are based at schools, so if you get asked to the academy, you go to that school.

thats kinda how it works here as well. The academies have tied in with the colleges to ensure parallel career paths, in a symbiotic relationship where everyone wins.

Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:44 pm
Profile E-mail
Chris ScumV wrote:
CymraegJanner wrote:

Can I assume the system includes the schools with 6th forms Ystalyfera, Olchfa etc

Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:51 pm
Site Admin

You CAN assume, but you would be wrong to do so :)

The links are with Bridgend College, Neath Port Talbot College and Swansea College only Schools do not offer the range that players need, while colleges can offer both academic and vocational study. Also there is a finite number of players, and spreading them too thinly would hinder the rugby element.

Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:58 pm
Profile E-mail
Chris ScumV wrote:

The links are with Bridgend College, Neath Port Talbot College and Swansea College only Schools do not offer the range that players need, while colleges can offer both academic and vocational study. Also there is a finite number of players, and spreading them too thinly would hinder the rugby element.

:thefinger:

How do the regions get the 6th formers Chris

I think Alun Wyn was Bishop Gore,

Olchfa Gowerton Glan Afon etc all have or used to have good school teams

Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:06 pm
Old Fart wrote:
Thanks Chris, I left the green hills in 1968 but try my best to keep abreast of what is happenig on the rugby scene there. Unfortunately keeping up with this issue was not on my radar.

In my day Bri, I remember that key Grammar Schools provided the major feed into the Welsh Secondary Schools stream and each best School players were introduced into their.. Club whilst still at school,I remember that often, our case, Aberavon would choose lesser games to blood the young players eg Easter Tour games, Devenport Services, Weston Super Mare etc .. Intl Rugby was played at U15 and 'senior' Welsh Sec hools. This stream played weekend rugby via the school.

On the other hand there was the Welsh Youth alternative for those that didn't play at Sec Schools level .. they played at Intrrnational senior level I think was about U29/20
This stream played their w/e Rugby for the local Youth team with their own league.

The converged stream youngsters usually graduated to their home team but the best soon exited to the Majors, .. Cardiff, Swansea/Newport .. even the LLanelli of those days had exodus for a Cap.

Happy Days Bri, ....

Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:41 pm
Site Admin

Wupert wrote:
Chris ScumV wrote:

:thefinger:

How do the regions get the 6th formers Chris

I think Alun Wyn was Bishop Gore,

Olchfa Gowerton Glan Afon etc all have or used to have good school teams

They don't, they get them at yr6 ;)

Seriously the players that get into the academies have the option, but pretty much all of them go to an FE college. as covered elsewhere, those that don't get into the academy still have district rugby to shine through and get an academy place.

rest assured that if they are playing rugby, and are any good, they will not slip through the net.

Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:52 pm
Profile E-mail
Schools District Player

A couple of Ospreys u18's players will be staying in Ystalyfera school to do their A levels, but will be allowed to play for Neath College (arranged by the O's).

Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:03 pm
Profile E-mail
cjtheman wrote:
A couple of Ospreys u18's players will be staying in Ystalyfera school to do their A levels, but will be allowed to play for Neath College (arranged by the O's).

Thats good and sensible news all round.

Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:14 pm
Site Admin

In Ospreylia we try to accommodate Wups, :)

Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:51 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Chris ScumV wrote:
Traditionally Pencoed has had a conveyor belt, but that has pretty much changed. as the WRU have together with the clubs, put in place a system that picks up the talent from age 12 onwards.

Pencoed has an Olympic gold medallist too.

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:08 pm