It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:38 pm

laws of the game 
Primary Schools Player

Post laws of the game
I must be forgiven but I haven't read the law book for some time. In a former life I was a grade 1 referee. I retired hurt in the 80's.
When I was refereeing, if a scrum or lineout was called 30 seconds before half or full time and then became unplayable, if time was up the whistle would be blown to end the half. Is it law for the scrum/lineout to continue?
Is it now permissible to feed the ball into the second row of a scrum, and to be yards in front of the kick off? Those two were tongue in cheek questions.
The other serious question is:- When a knock on occurs and the referee plays advantage, and then a penalty incident happens, why does the referee give a penalty and not go back to the original offence the knock on as always used to be the case?
In other words do the referees now referee to please the crowd not the letter of the law.

Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:42 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Post Re: laws of the game
MULER wrote:
The other serious question is:- When a knock on occurs and the referee plays advantage, and then a penalty incident happens, why does the referee give a penalty and not go back to the original offence the knock on as always used to be the case?
In other words do the referees now referee to please the crowd not the letter of the law.

Because the team playing their advantage had their opportunity denied by a penalty defence.
IE the ball was in play under continuous circumtances of 'advantage' until called 'over'

That circumstance also allows for the prevention of the defence taking their opportunity whilst the ball is still in play under the declared advantage and would revert to the scrum?

Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:02 pm
World XV Player

MULER wrote:
I must be forgiven but I haven't read the law book for some time. In a former life I was a grade 1 referee. I retired hurt in the 80's.

Is it now permissible to feed the ball into the second row of a scrum, and to be yards in front of the kick off? Those two were tongue in cheek questions. THEY'RE RELEVANT THOUGH AS ALL THE SIDES GETTING STUFFED IN THE SCRUM CAN NOW GET AWAY WITH MURDER.

Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:23 am
Primary Schools Player

Thank you. It makes sence.
Can anyone answer the first part of my question?

Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:28 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

MULER wrote:
Thank you. It makes sense.

I saw a few games this weekend and the one game showed a play at the end which mirrored the scenario you mentioned.

The referee did not allow the cheats to end the game with yet another foul and he insisted that the final setpiece be replayed until the game ended properly.

It seemed fair enough at the time and whether it was "legal" is another matter. I like natural justice and the referee did good I reckon.

Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:05 pm
World XV Player

Sorry, misread post

Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:17 pm
World XV Player

Talking about cheats .... why not talk about the despicable way players kick the ball out of play once the siren has gone.

It is like going for a shyte on the field of play!

It should be a penalty for bad sportsmanship.

Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:27 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

MULER wrote:
Thank you. It makes sence.

I don't believe it is law for that the scrum or lineout has take place ..... the lineout must take place if it is from a penalty due to the recent law change. Or a scrum would have to take place if it was the option taken from a penalty. I think the refs usually blow because there is no time for the set piece to take place before it as the opportunity to, if they think it will not. So the decision is made when the set piece is called rather than leaving it to chance or slow play.

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:50 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Isn't it the case that once the full 80 mins are up that the game is over when the ball next goes out of play? An on field infringement whilst the ball is still in play must be remedied according to the laws of the game ..so scrum,free kick or penalty and the game continues .. but not touch, except for BlindSide's correct exception :D

Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:02 pm
Profile E-mail