It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:10 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
New Scrum Law Trial MERGED THREAD 
British & Irish Lions Player

Post Re: New scrum laws
The ref needs more help watching the put-in because Leinster continually threw the ball in not straight, and the ref only picked up on it once. The scrum-half should of been yellow carded according to the new rules.

Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:53 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Yes Scarlets pack did well at scrumtime and put some pressure on. the srum half responded with crooked feeds time after time. By the letter of the law he should have walked at one point

Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:56 am
Profile E-mail
International Player

Did I hear Jiffy saying, during his commentary on the Scarlets/Leinster game, that the SH is on a 'two strikes and you're out' warning in respect of crooked feeds? I.e., two crooked feeds and the SH gets a YC.

Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:07 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

JonnyJugLicker wrote:
The ref needs more help watching the put-in because Leinster continually threw the ball in not straight, and the ref only picked up on it once. The scrum-half should of been yellow carded according to the new rules.

No offence, but why should a ref need help watching put ins? That should be the easiest part of his job at scrumtime?

Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:07 pm
British & Irish Lions Player

SDSmurf wrote:
JonnyJugLicker wrote:

No offence, but why should a ref need help watching put ins? That should be the easiest part of his job at scrumtime?

Agreed, but he missed it for all but 2 scrums :?

Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:14 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

I suppose as the season goes on the laws will start to make sense to everyone. you, me, refs , players etc

Its not as stupid as the ELV's, at least with these new ones there is a danger of a game breaking out

Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:36 pm
World XV Player

x_ile wrote:
Did I hear Jiffy saying, during his commentary on the Scarlets/Leinster game, that the SH is on a 'two strikes and you're out' warning in respect of crooked feeds? I.e., two crooked feeds and the SH gets a YC.

Progression is free kick, penalty, penalty and yellow card. The sequence does not begin again if the scrum-half is substituted, so expect Isaac Boss at Leinster to pick up a lot of yellow cards this year if he comes on for Reddin, who seems incapable of feeding the scrum straight.

Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:06 pm
World XV Player

I personally find that way too harsh and open to abuse and interpretation of what is actually sraight

IRB being too precious again

Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:36 pm
World XV Player

Post Re: New Scrum Law Trial
A few gams into the new Season .. imo the refs are allowing front rows down providing hooking side has relatively clean ball and also high incidence of front rows pushing in upright positions ??

Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:37 pm
World XV Player

The risk the scrum faces IMO is as I have mentioned before, for it to be used primarily as a penalty machine.

I have had concerns that it becomes possible to go into an oppositions 22, knock on, and still come away with the 3 points if you can force a penalty from the oppositions scrum by cynical play.

I haven't seen much rugby this weekend, but I hope that the 'new' rules see a return to contested scrums.

Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:41 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Post Re: New Scrum Law Trial
Correction ^^^^^^

imo the refs are allowing front rows down (negating secondary shove) providing hooking side has relatively clean ball

Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:47 pm
World XV Player

Just posted this in the laws section

A few games into the new Season .. imo the refs are allowing front rows down (preventing secondary shove) providing hooking side has relatively clean ball and also high incidence of front rows pushing in upright positions ??

Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:06 pm
World XV Player

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

PS this thread is in the Rabo section, my comments were general all leagues and current internationals

Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:18 pm
World XV Player

Chris ScumV wrote:
Keith L wrote:
ICEy noted in the O's/Treviso thread something that I didn't realise either, ie the ref tells the SH when to put the ball in??? That is just plain *fupping* stupid and negates any advantage of having the put in as all the opposition have to do is wait for the ref to say OK then push like mad! Why should the ref decide when the ball goes in??

AGAIN the ref got it wrong.

The 'yes Nine' call is an INVITATION to put the ball in. the 9 doesn't have to put it in immediately, but he is not allowed to delay it for any length of time. Refs are once again not being arsed to learn the laws and more importantly the IRB directives for referees. They are at risk of screwing up a good piece of rule change, and I have to say the time has come for refs to start being slapped about. The James King call was pathetic and THAT went to TMO.

Patterson getting something wrong is not unusual, unfortunately there's no game without the likes of him. I agree it's about time the refs were held to account on their performances. :thumbright:

Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:37 pm
International Player

Cymru am byth wrote:
The risk the scrum faces IMO is as I have mentioned before, for it to be used primarily as a penalty machine.

I have had concerns that it becomes possible to go into an oppositions 22, knock on, and still come away with the 3 points if you can force a penalty from the oppositions scrum by cynical play.

I haven't seen much rugby this weekend, but I hope that the 'new' rules see a return to contested scrums.

I'm not really sure what you mean by this?

As long as scrum halves put the ball in straight there will be less penalties, as it's much harder to cheat and collapse the scrum now. Players can no longer blame the other player for not binding or binding incorrectly as that occurs before the hit. Makes it much easier for the referee to spot which player is the one dragging it down.

Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:13 pm
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next