It is currently Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:09 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
New Scrum Law Trial MERGED THREAD 
World XV Player

Post Re: New Scrum Law Trial
Goann wrote:
Appeared to reward strong scrumaging props, balanced steady scrums, technically proficient No 8s, sniping half backs, first fives with more time, 8/9 blindside attack.

So in summary, the Aussies will block any attempt to make it a world wide adopted law as it'll screw them.

'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so *fupping* what?' —Stephen Fry

"You like PhillBB demand facts for debate........My premise needs no facts to debate it" - Rosario on "how to look like an idiot"

http://www.flickr.com/photos/whitcomberd/

Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:48 am
Profile WWW
World XV Player

Sounds like the BCCI and DRS which stuffs up their bookies...

Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:32 am
World XV Player

Looked good in the Oz v All Blacks today with Joubert pinging them for crooked put ins as well.

Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:35 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

So far i like it PROVIDED the referees do it properly. Australia obviously won't like it as it means you have to scrummage and as a result they got mainly raped 2nd half due to it.

Then again, first half NZ had 2 scrum penalties that should have been free kicks the other way immediately after the engage so its not perfect.

'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so *fupping* what?' —Stephen Fry

"You like PhillBB demand facts for debate........My premise needs no facts to debate it" - Rosario on "how to look like an idiot"

Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:36 pm
Profile WWW
World XV Player

The announcers today seemed amazed that the Oz hooker actually stuck his foot out
before the SH fed the ball. Isn't the HOOKER supposed to strike for the ball.
But that one today was so early he should have been penalised. :)

Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:17 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Rules is Rules.

Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:12 am
World XV Player

The NZ commentary team (as well as being easily the most one eyed ive ever heard) were constantly moaning about how Australia failed "to take the hit". Clearly these idiots have no idea of even the old laws yet alone the new ones.

Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:03 pm
Profile WWW
World XV Player

I guess I've had more of a view of it than most having watched numerous Top 14 matches after intro ... watched at least 10 the last 2 wks ..

I like it ...

THe eliminated apart hit' and maybe advantage of timing is eliminated.
The inital engage does involve hooking which has been a lost art.
There's been an increased incidence in the Top14 of penalising the not in straight !! largely because there's more focus on the controlled hit that emphasises the sin and accentuates the advantage.
Keeping the scrum straight seems to be a problem ... not sure why,.. maybe because after engage there's emphasis one side or other rather than 3 : 3 ? Dont know.
Refs are acclimatising abd, I believe, seem to have more focus and therefore control ..

For what it's worth ... I like it as per above.

Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:32 pm
World XV Player

This article by Barnes / S Times is on the money ref new laws?

Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:49 am
World XV Player

Hopefully it will bring back the mobile smaller hooker, as some of the guys to short for the backrow filled this niche historically, able to get low in the scrum and strike the ball and get about the field. Completely different technique to getting your feet back and using purely bulk and strength.

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:08 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Post New scrum laws
what do people think?

Hookers have their work cut out for them now, they have to hook then push, it'll never catch on

Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:17 am
World XV Player

Post Re: New scrum laws
looks good to me so far.
but will refs have the bottle to yellow card players?
it could be that if teams have an option for scrum or penalty in the oppos half, they will go for touch?

Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:19 am
Profile E-mail WWW
World XV Player

SimplyRed wrote:

That's the crux of the matter. Methinks the refs will fold and not implement this.

Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:33 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

In the main I think it is a good move, it certainly is a game changer and makes for a better more watcheable game.

As far as I know, the ball doesn't have to go in straight guys, technically according to the letter of the law it does but the directive is that the ball has to touch the line of scrummage. so 9/10ths of the ball can be on the put in side as long as part of the ball crosses that line. I am wondering if coaches have decided (as I would) that it is possible to feed across the lin of scrummage diagonally, starting on the defending team side, crossing the line of scrummage diagonally moving towards the attacking teams side, negating the need to hook.

Internet Marketing Consultancy - SEO Agony Uncle

Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:38 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Brahmin wrote:
SimplyRed wrote:

That's the crux of the matter. Methinks the refs will fold and not implement this.

Not if they follow BArnesy's lead
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/s ... -rules-rfu

England's leading official, Wayne Barnes, has warned Premiership players and coaches that referees will show no mercy to sides who fail to embrace the International Rugby Board's revised scrummaging protocols, which have attracted mixed views on the eve of the new domestic season.

Instead of the old "crouch, touch, set" sequence used last season, opposing packs will be required to bind in advance and are not permitted to push until the ball is in. There will also be a zero-tolerance attitude shown towards scrum-halves who fail to put the ball in straight, forcing hookers to rediscover the lost art of heeling the ball. :clap:

Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:46 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next