It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:10 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
New Scrum Law Trial MERGED THREAD 
British & Irish Lions Player

Post Re: New scrum laws
I think the point was that a scrum given away but won back was worth the infringement risk.

Scrum rules won't change that fact except for those sides clinical in their deception.

ie. cheats

Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:30 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

TJP wrote:
Cymru am byth wrote:
The risk the scrum faces IMO is as I have mentioned before, for it to be used primarily as a penalty machine.

I have had concerns that it becomes possible to go into an oppositions 22, knock on, and still come away with the 3 points if you can force a penalty from the oppositions scrum by cynical play.

I haven't seen much rugby this weekend, but I hope that the 'new' rules see a return to contested scrums.

I'm not really sure what you mean by this?

As long as scrum halves put the ball in straight there will be less penalties, as it's much harder to cheat and collapse the scrum now. Players can no longer blame the other player for not binding or binding incorrectly as that occurs before the hit. Makes it much easier for the referee to spot which player is the one dragging it down.

Apologies, wrong tense there. I meant using the old rules. Although I caveat that I only caught the first bit of the Dragons match. Like all rule changes it is a case of who can exploit it best. I hope that the rules are robustly enforced and my scenario above is wrong and you are correct. We'll see though.

Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:31 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

I think it was notable in last nights O's match, that Adam Jones step back on the hit after several resets to get the penalty, if it's your team doing it, then not much is going to be said.

Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:33 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Jones will study these laws and find new ways to use them to his advantage

Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:53 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

AverageBBCjournalist wrote:
Jones will study these laws and find new ways to use them to his advantage

From a Welsh perspective I hope he does, but for the game, I hope the rule change does what it is intended.

Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:58 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

SDSmurf wrote:
JonnyJugLicker wrote:
The ref needs more help watching the put-in because Leinster continually threw the ball in not straight, and the ref only picked up on it once. The scrum-half should of been yellow carded according to the new rules.

No offence, but why should a ref need help watching put ins? That should be the easiest part of his job at scrumtime?

Couldn't he just let his dog help? :D :D

Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:24 am
Site Admin

And another thing, the treviso player carried over and dropped the ball, ossies player put it to ground, patterson gave a 5M scrum FFS they SHOULD know the laws of the game surely :thefinger:

Internet Marketing Consultancy - SEO Agony Uncle

Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:16 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Post Re: New Scrum Law Trial MERGED THREAD
Having missed the rugby this weekend and with little mentioned on Scrum V (the highlights weren’t much good!). What is the general feeling on the rule changes? Did they make a difference?

Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:22 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

I think they are great, none of that messing about with props going to ground because they didn't like the hit. Ball in straight needs a bit of polishing but by and large a positive move IMO

Internet Marketing Consultancy - SEO Agony Uncle

Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:13 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

I like the new law, do it right or get penalized.

Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:02 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Still happy with the rules. Just HOPE referees continue to enforce it and not get bored.

It'll murder sides that for years have got away without being able or having to scrummage such as Australia.

'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so *fupping* what?' —Stephen Fry

"You like PhillBB demand facts for debate........My premise needs no facts to debate it" - Rosario on "how to look like an idiot"

http://www.flickr.com/photos/whitcomberd/

Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:21 am
Profile WWW
World XV Player

Chris ScumV wrote:
I think they are great, none of that messing about with props going to ground because they didn't like the hit. Ball in straight needs a bit of polishing but by and large a positive move IMO

At least I am now seeing hookers actually striking for the ball, can't be a bad change.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:58 pm
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6