It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:01 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
New Scrum Law Trial MERGED THREAD 
Author Message
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 23, 2004 4:59 pm
Posts: 7085
Post Re: New scrum laws
Chris ScumV wrote:
In the main I think it is a good move, it certainly is a game changer and makes for a better more watcheable game.

As far as I know, the ball doesn't have to go in straight guys, technically according to the letter of the law it does but the directive is that the ball has to touch the line of scrummage. so 9/10ths of the ball can be on the put in side as long as part of the ball crosses that line. I am wondering if coaches have decided (as I would) that it is possible to feed across the lin of scrummage diagonally, starting on the defending team side, crossing the line of scrummage diagonally moving towards the attacking teams side, negating the need to hook.

But then that could be penalised for not straight

_________________
The main problem in marriage is that, for a man, sex is a hunger, if he is hungry and cant get to a fancy French restaurant, he'll go to a burger bar


Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:32 am
Profile
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:41 am
Posts: 5967
Location: Centurion, South Africa
Post Re: New scrum laws
If what Chris is saying is true, as usual the IRB are making a rod for their own backs. I mean, just have everyone put it in straight (parallel to the front rows) down the middle and be done with it. If not, then free kick simple.
Scrummies will learn fast.

Seems like the IRB want their cake and eat it; try get the rules more competitive, but leave loopholes they can use to excuse poor reffing.

_________________
Smoda sees you doing odd things


Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:37 am
Profile
World XV Player

Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2004 8:40 am
Posts: 30772
Location: Somewhere nice
Post Re: New scrum laws
ICEy noted in the O's/Treviso thread something that I didn't realise either, ie the ref tells the SH when to put the ball in??? That is just plain *fupping* stupid and negates any advantage of having the put in as all the opposition have to do is wait for the ref to say OK then push like mad! Why should the ref decide when the ball goes in??


Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:05 am
Profile
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:26 pm
Posts: 4462
Post Re: New scrum laws
Keith L wrote:
Why should the ref decide when the ball goes in??


Because he has to decide whether the scrum is 'stable' or not perhaps? :dontknow:

_________________
G Morgan wrote:
You could put Jesus as coach and even he couldn't consistently make up for players who come into the national team unable to execute the very basics of rugby.


Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:09 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:24 pm
Posts: 43877
Location: Llanharan
Post Re: New scrum laws
Scrum straight - check

Scrum steady - check

Binding okay - check.

Put it in, number nine.

:twisted:


Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:10 am
Profile
World XV Player

Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2004 8:40 am
Posts: 30772
Location: Somewhere nice
Post Re: New scrum laws
Brahmin wrote:
Keith L wrote:
Why should the ref decide when the ball goes in??


Because he has to decide whether the scrum is 'stable' or not perhaps? :dontknow:


I get that bit and that has always been the case,(?) but actually having to wait for the ref to decide then give the instruction just makes a mockery IMO. IRB have almost got it right, next challenge is for the hookers to learn how to hook :twisted: ;)


Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:22 am
Profile
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:26 pm
Posts: 4462
Post Re: New scrum laws
Keith L wrote:
next challenge is for the hookers to learn how to hook :twisted: ;)


Something of a lost art that but im sure that they will be capable of resurrecting it, iirc The Sheriff hooked a few in Llanelli's beating at the hands of Leinster.

_________________
G Morgan wrote:
You could put Jesus as coach and even he couldn't consistently make up for players who come into the national team unable to execute the very basics of rugby.


Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:24 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:24 pm
Posts: 43877
Location: Llanharan
Post Re: New scrum laws
Leinster began the second-half in perfect fashion, producing a try inside two minutes of the restart.

The ball was spread wide and late call-up Brendan Macken bumped off Gareth Owen and offloaded to Murphy who bundled over in the corner.

Gopperth was on target once again and he quickly added a penalty to stretch the lead to four-points.

Shingler hit back after Eoin Reddan was penalised for a crooked feed at the scrum (but not red carded).

However, Gopperth responded as Leinster kept their noses in front before they ran riot in the closing stages.

A Jack McGrath break down the left released Hudson to scorch home in the 68th minute to seal the win.

They continued to dominate and put the result well beyond doubt as Gopperth and Kearney crossed the whitewash.


Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:09 am
Profile
World XV Player

Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2004 8:40 am
Posts: 30772
Location: Somewhere nice
Post Re: New scrum laws
Bouch wrote:
Leinster began the second-half in perfect fashion, producing a try inside two minutes of the restart.

The ball was spread wide and late call-up Brendan Macken bumped off Gareth Owen and offloaded to Murphy who bundled over in the corner.

Gopperth was on target once again and he quickly added a penalty to stretch the lead to four-points.

Shingler hit back after Eoin Reddan was penalised for a crooked feed at the scrum (but not red carded).

However, Gopperth responded as Leinster kept their noses in front before they ran riot in the closing stages.

A Jack McGrath break down the left released Hudson to scorch home in the 68th minute to seal the win.

They continued to dominate and put the result well beyond doubt as Gopperth and Kearney crossed the whitewash.


WTF has this got to do with new scrum laws :scratch: :bs:


Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:10 am
Profile
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:41 am
Posts: 5967
Location: Centurion, South Africa
Post Re: New scrum laws
Keith L wrote:
Bouch wrote:
Leinster began the second-half in perfect fashion, producing a try inside two minutes of the restart.

The ball was spread wide and late call-up Brendan Macken bumped off Gareth Owen and offloaded to Murphy who bundled over in the corner.

Gopperth was on target once again and he quickly added a penalty to stretch the lead to four-points.

Shingler hit back after Eoin Reddan was penalised for a crooked feed at the scrum (but not red carded).

However, Gopperth responded as Leinster kept their noses in front before they ran riot in the closing stages.

A Jack McGrath break down the left released Hudson to scorch home in the 68th minute to seal the win.

They continued to dominate and put the result well beyond doubt as Gopperth and Kearney crossed the whitewash.


WTF has this got to do with new scrum laws :scratch: :bs:


I suppose....... Bouch gets paid by the word.
By the way, that BS sign your dude is waving means "Bouch Says".... which means the same as "Bullshit" anyway.

_________________
Smoda sees you doing odd things


Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:14 am
Profile
World XV Player

Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2004 8:40 am
Posts: 30772
Location: Somewhere nice
Post Re: New scrum laws
SDSmurf wrote:
Keith L wrote:
Bouch wrote:
Leinster began the second-half in perfect fashion, producing a try inside two minutes of the restart.

The ball was spread wide and late call-up Brendan Macken bumped off Gareth Owen and offloaded to Murphy who bundled over in the corner.

Gopperth was on target once again and he quickly added a penalty to stretch the lead to four-points.

Shingler hit back after Eoin Reddan was penalised for a crooked feed at the scrum (but not red carded).

However, Gopperth responded as Leinster kept their noses in front before they ran riot in the closing stages.

A Jack McGrath break down the left released Hudson to scorch home in the 68th minute to seal the win.

They continued to dominate and put the result well beyond doubt as Gopperth and Kearney crossed the whitewash.


WTF has this got to do with new scrum laws :scratch: :bs:


I suppose....... Bouch gets paid by the word.
By the way, that BS sign your dude is waving means "Bouch Says".... which means the same as "Bullshit" anyway.


No wonder the world is bankrupt :twisted:


Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:15 am
Profile
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:24 pm
Posts: 43877
Location: Llanharan
Post Re: New scrum laws
Thank you, thank you for noticing my contribution ...

:thefinger:


Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:19 am
Profile
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:24 am
Posts: 12923
Location: cwmbran
Post Re: New scrum laws
really like the new rules, but the forwards need to take baseball bats to their *fupping* stupid scrumhalfs, just put the ball in *fupping* straight. hope it was just due to the first round and scrumhalfs seeing what they could get away with. as it is really infuriating, ruins a good contest

_________________
Since 1410 most Welsh people most of the time have abandoned any idea of independence as unthinkable. But since 1410 most Welsh people, at some time or another, if only in some secret corner of the mind, have been "out with Owain and his barefoot scrubs." For the Welsh mind is still haunted by it's lightning-flash vision of a people that was free.

Gwyn A. Williams,


Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:05 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2004 4:28 pm
Posts: 57616
Location: Sunny Resolven
Post Re: New scrum laws
Keith L wrote:
ICEy noted in the O's/Treviso thread something that I didn't realise either, ie the ref tells the SH when to put the ball in??? That is just plain *fupping* stupid and negates any advantage of having the put in as all the opposition have to do is wait for the ref to say OK then push like mad! Why should the ref decide when the ball goes in??


AGAIN the ref got it wrong.

The 'yes Nine' call is an INVITATION to put the ball in. the 9 doesn't have to put it in immediately, but he is not allowed to delay it for any length of time. Refs are once again not being arsed to learn the laws and more importantly the IRB directives for referees. They are at risk of screwing up a good piece of rule change, and I have to say the time has come for refs to start being slapped about. The James King call was pathetic and THAT went to TMO.

_________________
OSPREYS REGIONAL RUGBY - The One true region - SOUTH West is best Boys Butti Innit

Internet Marketing Consultancy - SEO Agony Uncle


Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:15 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2004 11:20 am
Posts: 4612
Location: Oxfordshire
Post Re: New scrum laws
ICEverything wrote:
I like the way the scrum engages; thats a positive. But the crooked feed infringement is pants. It slows the game down and just gives the crowd another thing to whinge to the ref about. Why not allow the crocked feeds and just let the scrum be a pushing contest.



Sodding nancy backs who don't understand the complexity of the front row... :pain10:


Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:33 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: