World XV Player

Post TMO and increased use thereof..
Tmo use in foul play etc ..
When was this introduced ..

example :

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=53887

Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:12 pm
World XV Player

Post Re: TMO and increased use thereof..
http://www.irb.com/newsmedia/mediazone/ ... 63402.html

Quote:
The IRB and its Member Unions have underscored their commitment to consistent and accurate match officiating by sanctioning and supporting two trials that will see the powers of the television match official (TMO) extended for the next season of the Aviva Premiership in England and South Africa’s Absa Currie Cup.

Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:45 pm
World XV Player

Got to be a good thing.

Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:49 pm
Site Admin

It can only be good for the game as shit like the All Blacks dished out would have resulted in red cards at the time of the incident./ I believe the trial will be approved, because of the way it has impacted on the Aviva prem, PLUS (as importantly) the way it would have impacted on the cheap shots at the AI's

Internet Marketing Consultancy - SEO Agony Uncle

Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:51 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Chris ScumV wrote:
It can only be good for the game as shit like the All Blacks dished out would have resulted in red cards at the time of the incident./ I believe the trial will be approved, because of the way it has impacted on the Aviva prem, PLUS (as importantly) the way it would have impacted on the cheap shots at the AI's

That's if the ref had (a) seen the incident and (be) asked the TMO for his advice and as none of that occured I am not too sure how you think it would have stopped the "cheap shots" the AB's apparantly used Chris.

Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:33 am
World XV Player

You look at the video and get the thugs after the game and then ban them appropriately, Justic.

It's a new concept down your way but you'll eventually get used to the idea ...

Television Match Official (TMO) protocols

Law 6 – Trials for the extension of the role of the TMO to be trialled in a northern and southern hemisphere competition.

Additional jurisdiction protocol

1. Potential infringement by the team touching the ball down in opposition in-goal
1.1. If after a team in possession of the ball has touched the ball down in their opponents in goal area and any of the match officials have a view that there was a potential infringement, of any nature, before the ball was carried into in-goal by the team that touched the ball down, they may suggest that the referee refers the matter to the TMO for review.
1.2. If the referee agrees to refer the matter to the TMO he will indicate what the potential offence was and where it took place. Potential infringements which must be CLEAR and OBVIOUS are as follows:
 Knock-on
 Forward pass
 Player in touch
 Off-side
 Obstruction
 Tackling a player without the ball
 Foul play
 Double movement in act of scoring
Referee judgement calls for all other decisions in the game are not included in the protocol and may not be referred to the TMO.
In reviewing the potential offence the TMO must use the criterion on each occasion that the infringement must be clear and obvious if he is to advise the referee not to award a try. If there is any doubt as to whether an offence has occurred or not the TMO must advise that an offence has not occurred.
For forward passes the TMO must not adjudicate on the flight of the ball but on the action of the player who passed the ball, i.e. were the player’s hands passing the ball back to that player’s own goal line.
If there has been an infringement, the TMO will advise the referee of the exact nature of the infringement, the recommended sanction and/or where play will next restart.
1.6. The TMO may mention issues viewed in addition to those requested by the referee if it is appropriate to the situation under review.
2. Potential infringement by the defending team preventing a try from being scored.
2.1. If the match officials have a view that there was a potential infringement by the defending team that may have prevented a try being scored they may suggest that the referee refers the matter to the TMO for review.
2.2. If the referee agrees to refer the matter to the TMO he will indicate what the potential offence was and where it took place. The offences will normally be an act of foul play such as obstruction or playing a player without the ball.
2.3. In reviewing the potential offence the TMO must use the criterion on each occasion that the infringement must be clear and obvious and that but for the infringement a try would probably have been scored if he is to advise the referee to award a penalty try. If there is any doubt that a try would be scored the TMO must advise the award of an appropriate sanction in accordance with Law.
2.4. The TMO may mention issues viewed in addition to those requested by the referee if it is appropriate to the situation under review.
3. Potential acts of foul play
3.1. The match officials may suggest that the referee refers the matter to the TMO for review if they observe an act of foul play where:
 They may have only partially observed an act or acts of foul play
 They are unsure of the exact circumstances
 The views of the match officials reporting the act(s) of foul play differ
 There is doubt as to the appropriate sanctions to be applied
3.2. If the referee agrees to refer the matter to the TMO he will indicate that he wishes the TMO to review the potential act(s) of foul play and to make a recommendation as to the appropriate sanction(s).
3.3. In reviewing the potential offence the TMO must use the criterion on each occasion that the infringement must be clear and obvious especially where sanctions may apply where a player is removed from the field of play either temporarily or permanently.
3.4. The other match officials may utilise the in stadium screens (where available) to form a judgement in this matter.
In accordance with Law 6.A.4, the referee will remain the sole judge of fact and law during a match.
In the SARU/Currie Cup trial the potential infringement must have occurred between the last restart of play (set piece, penalty/free-kick, kick-off or restart) and the touch down but not further back in play than two previous rucks and/or mauls.
In the RFU/PRL TMO trial referrals can now go back to the previous restart (set piece, penalty/free-kick, kick-off or restart).

Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:45 am
Site Admin

Justic wrote:
Chris ScumV wrote:

That's if the ref had (a) seen the incident and (be) asked the TMO for his advice and as none of that occured I am not too sure how you think it would have stopped the "cheap shots" the AB's apparantly used Chris.

Ah but THAT is the beauty justy, the ref doesn't have to see anything, if he hears a shout or turns around and sees a player on the ground spark out, he can call the TMO to review what went on.

He doesn't have to say 'check what ospreys 7 did. he can say " review the build up mate and tell me if you see anything that requires an outcome".

I wasn't having a go at the AB's I was simply using that hore incident as it was the most memorable in recent international history :)

Internet Marketing Consultancy - SEO Agony Uncle

Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:10 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

I posted this in todays Quins/Leics stream ref TMO expanded authority ...

Machiavelli wrote:
Good game and interestingly Barnes called TMO on 3 issues including :

was there a knock on in previous phase, was there an offside and was the ball grounded ...

TMO allowed try.. but issue of previous phase knock on etc an interesting change of TMO application?

12 18 after 37

Score may not reflect the game ? but does show Leics usual cussedness ... ;)

Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:05 pm
World XV Player

This new law would have helped in the Stade "try with wrong ball" farce on the weekend too.

I've been watching the Aviva games trial this. Refs especially Barnes are using it a lot and i really can't see any negative from it.

'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so *fupping* what?' —Stephen Fry

"You like PhillBB demand facts for debate........My premise needs no facts to debate it" - Rosario on "how to look like an idiot"

http://www.flickr.com/photos/whitcomberd/

Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:54 am
Profile WWW