It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:35 pm

New laws 
World XV Player

Post Re: New laws
I confess to being a bit schizo on this one ....defences will have a field day and could defeat the object but, on the other hand, the s-l-o-w it down and just multiple pick 'n go to run the clock down etc will have to change.

Incidentally there could well be an increased emphasis on kicking to relieve the increased pressure of too quick ball ..,

Hmm..

On verra :D

Thu May 17, 2012 8:50 am
World XV Player

Bouch wrote:
1. Law 16.7 (Ruck): The ball has to be used within five seconds of it being made available at the back of a ruck with a warning from the referee to “use it”. Sanction – Scrum.

YES. Scrumhalves buggering about for ages is not on.

Nice idea in theory. However i can just see teams delay in making the ball available in the first place until their attack is set.

Rather than a scrum might be better to just call the ruck over after 5 seconds, cancel the offside line and allow the opposition the chance to challenge.

'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so *fupping* what?' —Stephen Fry

"You like PhillBB demand facts for debate........My premise needs no facts to debate it" - Rosario on "how to look like an idiot"

http://www.flickr.com/photos/whitcomberd/

Thu May 17, 2012 7:50 pm
Profile WWW
World XV Player

The ruck, the scrum ........

If a scrumhalf wants to mess about he does so with impunity at the moment.

That will now change.

Thu May 17, 2012 9:22 pm
World XV Player

Bouch wrote:
The ruck, the scrum ........

If a scrumhalf wants to mess about he does so with impunity at the moment.

That will now change.

They don't faff about all the time, most try to add pace to the game but if your backs or forward pod arn't set and the game now dictates he shovels on shit or kicks, when common sense says give him some time. 5 minutes of Munner ball isn't great to watch but seeing the half hacks throwing random balls to players stood still or too far away or very probably kicking is not going to make the game better.

Thu May 17, 2012 9:28 pm
World XV Player

5 seconds is a long time, Fids.

Bridgend playing Cardiff up at CAP - the right wing for Cardiff caught the bouncing ball in his 22 and stopped still.

The Bridgend wing, who had chased up, stopped still as well - and laughed.

Here come the Bridgend flankers ..........

5 seconds is a very, very long time ...

:thumbup:

Thu May 17, 2012 9:33 pm
World XV Player

OK

Tell me when the 5 seconds starts?

Thu May 17, 2012 9:34 pm
World XV Player

Referees may well be consistent on that, but not necessarily.

Sad, but true, Fids.

Thu May 17, 2012 9:37 pm
World XV Player

He'll have to call ruck formed every single time

Thats going to be a head full

Thu May 17, 2012 9:42 pm
World XV Player

Fids the Blindside wrote:
seeing the half hacks throwing random balls to players stood still or too far away or very probably kicking is not going to make the game better.

Surely this makes a certain Swansea based team way ahead of the curve - they've got years of experience in playing this way.

'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so *fupping* what?' —Stephen Fry

"You like PhillBB demand facts for debate........My premise needs no facts to debate it" - Rosario on "how to look like an idiot"

http://www.flickr.com/photos/whitcomberd/

Thu May 17, 2012 9:51 pm
Profile WWW
International Player

It is not 5 seconds after the ball is presented at the back of the ruck. The 5 sec start when the ref calls Use it - when he is feeling they are slowing it down and deliberately ending the game as a contest, which happend in the Harlequins - Northampton game recently.

the conversion is a difficult one though. I am guessing they mean that the 1 minute that the kicker can use for the conversion starts 30 seconds after the try has been awarded? Tough call if it is a breakaway try and the kicker is still down in his own 22...

Fri May 18, 2012 9:49 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Communication of changes attached

Attachments:
Notice of Approved Law Trials 2012.pdf [140.84 KiB]
Downloaded 81 times

Sat May 26, 2012 2:17 pm
World XV Player

Now also on IRB laws website

Www.irblaws.com/2012

Tue May 29, 2012 5:13 pm
World XV Player

suede lady wrote:
It is not 5 seconds after the ball is presented at the back of the ruck. The 5 sec start when the ref calls Use it - when he is feeling they are slowing it down and deliberately ending the game as a contest, which happend in the Harlequins - Northampton game recently.

the conversion is a difficult one though. I am guessing they mean that the 1 minute that the kicker can use for the conversion starts 30 seconds after the try has been awarded? Tough call if it is a breakaway try and the kicker is still down in his own 22...

Really good video on IRB laws site explaining the changes
http://www.irblaws.com/2012/?amendment=1

Tue May 29, 2012 5:17 pm
Bouch wrote:
In addition to the global trials, the IRB Council approved three specific additional trials:

1. A trial to extend the jurisdiction of the TMO to incidents within the field of play that have led to the scoring of a try and foul play in the field of play to take place at an appropriate elite competition in order that a protocol can be developed for the November 2012 Tests.

About blydi time. RL has had a good system for years.

Global trials – August 2012 NHJanuary 2013 SH

I think we should get rid of the bloody TMO.

Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:47 am
World XV Player

how come Nigel Owens is calling crouch touch pause engage in the SA Aus game?

Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:14 pm
Profile E-mail WWW