It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:22 pm

Crooked feed 
World XV Player

Post Crooked feed
In today's Exeter / Quins game the commentators were discussing the crooked feed to the scrum and why it was being ignored by refs.
Their view was that it was under direction from the IRB to cut down on the time restting scrums was taking. What a load of **ballhooks** . To me this means the IRB want to encourage foul play instead of applying the letter of the law.
If the ref pings the first and EVERY other crooked feed , then the scrums will not take the time they are now. :dontknow:

Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:00 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Post Re: Crooked feed
you ignore one Law and then you end up with a Bryce Lawrence Performance which robbed South Africa of any chance of winning against a weaker Oz pack.

Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:04 pm
World XV Player

OF - as I understand it, the scrum is not particularly difficult to referee if it is set up and conducted within the laws of the game.

It is supposed to be a means of bringing the ball back into play after a minor infringement, with both teams having a good chance of gaining possession of the ball. It is not a "free-kick with possession assured but with the opposing front 8 bound in".

Forget CTPE. Bring the front rows together over the mark, then the second rows, then the back rows.

9 to put the ball in in accordance with the laws - sidweways to the tunnel, single movement, hit the ground beyond the near prop's shoulders.

At this point, and only at this point, the shove is permitted and the hookers may strike for the ball.

Any early movement - penalty.

Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:39 am
Profile E-mail WWW
World XV Player

Scrum engages on command.

Referee tells scrumhalf "Put it in"

9 to put the ball in in accordance with the laws - sidweways to the tunnel, single movement, hit the ground beyond the near prop's shoulders.

Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:28 pm
World XV Player

That would not be comlicated enough reffing might seem a bit to easy nothing to hide behind

Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:35 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Nigel curtailed that last night.

The scrum engaged and he barked "In" .....

Short, to the point, obeyed without question.

Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:35 am
World XV Player

Bouch wrote:

Had to laugh at him bolukin Shane for pinching 10 yards :D

Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:00 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

A comic moment of some class.

Cymraeg on a Welsh rugby pitch was lovely to hear but Paddy O'Brien would be upset.

Although, he does allow Rolland to speak en Francais to Les Bleus as the English commentators were very quick to point out .....

Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:27 am
World XV Player

None of the posts address my point of the IRB & refs condoning a foul play & ignoring the law. :dontknow:

Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:39 pm
Profile E-mail
International Player

MobyDuck wrote:
Bouch wrote:

Had to laugh at him bolukin Shane for pinching 10 yards :D

That was the high point of the game.

Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:32 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Duw, you missed the first 8 minutes?

Tough luck, they contained more class than some of the other games had in 80 minutes.

Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:45 am
International Player

Bouch wrote:
Duw, you missed the first 8 minutes?

Tough luck, they contained more class than some of the other games had in 80 minutes.

I did miss the start as it goes :thumbdown:

Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:39 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

I though as much, mate.

The first 8 minutes were worth the admission on their own.

A brilliant kick and gather, then a superb run from an outside half.

Have a look, it's about 18 minutes in to 26 minutes or so - http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0196qzb/Scrum_V_2011_2012_01_01_2012/

Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:50 am
World XV Player

Old Fart wrote:
None of the posts address my point of the IRB & refs condoning a foul play & ignoring the law. :dontknow:

Unfortunately, the usual troll got himself involved.

I don't think it's the encouraging of foul play so much as (and I think I've said this elsewhere) the view that elite rugby is entertainment and everybody must strive to cut down on stoppages. Just get together and get the ball back.

Of course what you end up with is not rugby.

Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:03 am
Profile E-mail WWW
Youth Player

Glyndwr wrote:
OF - as I understand it, the scrum is not particularly difficult to referee if it is set up and conducted within the laws of the game.

It is supposed to be a means of bringing the ball back into play after a minor infringement, with both teams having a good chance of gaining possession of the ball. It is not a "free-kick with possession assured but with the opposing front 8 bound in".

Forget CTPE. Bring the front rows together over the mark, then the second rows, then the back rows.

At this point, and only at this point, the shove is permitted and the hookers may strike for the ball.

Any early movement - penalty.

As a prop myself, firstly can I say that the problems at lower level are considerably different

You do not get any of this nonsense at lower levels, everyone has work on Monday morning, no-one is insured beyond the RFU payments for paralysis, and nobody is stupid enough to deliberately take it down when getting a pasting.

Pastings however, do happen regularly, and as a result instead of risking injury, so do non contested scrums - either way it removes an important element from the game.

What you have described above, Glyndwr, is the only way I can see to remove the farcical nature (for different reasons at different levels) of the scrum these days - and as you point out, completely in line with the laws as they are laid down.

Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:39 pm
Profile E-mail