It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:18 pm

Crooked feed 
World XV Player

Post Re: Crooked feed
Cbeeby wrote:
Glyndwr wrote:
OF - as I understand it, the scrum is not particularly difficult to referee if it is set up and conducted within the laws of the game.

It is supposed to be a means of bringing the ball back into play after a minor infringement, with both teams having a good chance of gaining possession of the ball. It is not a "free-kick with possession assured but with the opposing front 8 bound in".

Forget CTPE. Bring the front rows together over the mark, then the second rows, then the back rows.

9 to put the ball in in accordance with the laws - sidweways to the tunnel, single movement, hit the ground beyond the near prop's shoulders.

At this point, and only at this point, the shove is permitted and the hookers may strike for the ball.

Any early movement - penalty.

As a prop myself, firstly can I say that the problems at lower level are considerably different

You do not get any of this nonsense at lower levels, everyone has work on Monday morning, no-one is insured beyond the RFU payments for paralysis, and nobody is stupid enough to deliberately take it down when getting a pasting.

Pastings however, do happen regularly, and as a result instead of risking injury, so do non contested scrums - either way it removes an important element from the game.

What you have described above, Glyndwr, is the only way I can see to remove the farcical nature (for different reasons at different levels) of the scrum these days - and as you point out, completely in line with the laws as they are laid down.

Good post, i agree with every point.

In reality though teams are chasing the hit to try to ensure a good engage is not wasted.
The scrums are not a problem at lower levels but a huge issue within the pro environment.

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:45 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Glyndwr wrote:

Forget CTPE. Bring the front rows together over the mark, then the second rows, then the back rows.

9 to put the ball in in accordance with the laws - sidweways to the tunnel, single movement, hit the ground beyond the near prop's shoulders.

At this point, and only at this point, the shove is permitted and the hookers may strike for the ball.

Any early movement - penalty.

:thumbup:

Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:48 pm
World XV Player

Idealism doesn't apply to a collision sport.

Accept the bumps and move on.

Anybody who doesn't understand the beauty of pushing the Australian scrum backwards at a rate of knots when they had the put in 5 yards from our try line doesnt like black eyed props.

Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:09 am