It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:49 am

which is better, concede a try or lose a player to the bin? 

my question which is is it preferable, to concede 7 points or lose a player for 10 minutes?
Better to concede 7 pointer 23%  23%  [ 4 ]
Better to lose a player for ten minutes 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Players must take a chance that the card won't be given -"play the ref" 70%  70%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 17

which is better, concede a try or lose a player to the bin? 
Club Player

Post which is better, concede a try or lose a player to the bin?
With the latest card in an international resulting in 21 points, is it ever worth risking a card to save a try?

my question which is is it preferable? to concede 7 points or lose a player for 10 minutes?

In a situation where by an unlawful act a defending player can prevent an almost certain try, the defending player must make a conscious decision, even if it is the heat of the moment, to either commit the act and take the card, or allow the try to take place if there is no legal way to prevent it.

Some might argue players often act instinctively, but we also hear coaches saying rugby is all about "using the top two inches"

So, what should coaches tell players to do?

Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:13 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Post Re: which is better, concede a try or lose a player to the bin?
I said play the ref and hope for the best - which is essentially what anyone who makes the tackle would be doing.

If you get a card and your opposition score 21 points, then in hindesight, you've gotta say, wrong call.

It's easy to say but the defender must be sure that he's not gonna be able do anything else ie still make a last minute dab down for the ball, of course in the split second that's a big thing to say, not so easy to do.

Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:08 am
Profile E-mail WWW
World XV Player

I didnt vote as I dont see one as 'best'.

If a player does the right thing, the result is just pot luck. In 1/2d case, I think he did the right thing and if he is in the same position again, should do it again.

O'Connor could have knocked on ehen if he did not take the ball among other things, and once the player was off, we should be savvy enough to control the game. Its not often we get that sort of penalty for it. 3 points is always better than 7.

Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:13 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Have to agree play the moment I dont think 1.2d made a decision, 3 or 7 ,I believe he made what he thought was as good tackle
MobyDuck wrote:
I didnt vote as I dont see one as 'best.
If a player does the right thing, the result is just pot luck. In 1/2d case, I think he did the right thing and if he is in the same position again, should do it again.

O'Connor could have knocked on ehen if he did not take the ball among other things, and once the player was off, we should be savvy enough to control the game. Its not often we get that sort of penalty for it. 3 points is always better than 7.

Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:38 am
Profile E-mail
Club Player

Quote:
I didn't vote as I dont see one as 'best'.

the question is which is better?

I too think 1/2p tried to play a fair tackle. Any penalty infringement in that sort of position is very likely to result in a card, or even a penalty try, so any conscious decision to "play the ref" would be simply stupid. I know some rugby players aren't the brightest, but I didnt have 1/2p down as twp.

Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:35 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Propalot wrote:
Quote:
I didn't vote as I dont see one as 'best'.

the question is which is better?

I too think 1/2p tried to play a fair tackle. Any penalty infringement in that sort of position is very likely to result in a card, or even a penalty try, so any conscious decision to "play the ref" would be simply stupid. I know some rugby players aren't the brightest, but I didnt have 1/2p down as twp.

I now what you are asking, but dont think it should even be a consideration. The player should do what he is supposed to, irrespective.

I will vote, "play the ref' but irrespective of the ref, its play the game.

(not intentionally nit picking :pirate: )

Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:44 pm
Profile E-mail
Club Player

fair enough... I prefer the "play the game" option but when I suggest it on this forum I get ridiculed.
I dont like the idea of playing the ref.
If thats what is going on, itis losing us (close) games, we might get away with a yellow card against mediocre opposition but not against the best in the world.
players should be professional enough to resist the urge to risk a card, and play fair.

Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:28 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

there is no time to think in most cases, in 1/2p's case he instinctively tackled the player who 'might' have had the ball.

Internet Marketing Consultancy - SEO Agony Uncle

Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:33 pm
Profile E-mail
International Player

Chris ScumV wrote:
there is no time to think in most cases, in 1/2p's case he instinctively tackled the player who 'might' have had the ball.

if you watch the half penny tackle the ball his the player in the gut before halfpenny hit him. So for me it was a case of the aussie simply playing the ref to get a yellow.

Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:54 pm
Profile E-mail
International Player

lloydsa wrote:
Chris ScumV wrote:

if you watch the half penny tackle the ball his the player in the gut before halfpenny hit him. So for me it was a case of the aussie simply playing the ref to get a yellow.

Exactly.

Vote for the poll has to be play the ref too, how it is not how it should be

Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:58 pm
Profile E-mail
Youth Player

Duw wrote:
lloydsa wrote:
Chris ScumV wrote:

Exactly.

How is that playing the ref?

You can only tackle him if he plays it with his hands, he doesn't, that's not playing the ref, that's playing the game.

Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:56 am
Profile E-mail
International Player

Cbeeby wrote:
Duw wrote:
lloydsa wrote:
Chris ScumV wrote:

Exactly.

How is that playing the ref?

You can only tackle him if he plays it with his hands, he doesn't, that's not playing the ref, that's playing the game.

seeing as it hit his thigh then surely it should be a knock on ? and oconner was playing the ref for the card in my opinion.

Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:01 pm
Profile E-mail
Youth Player

lloydsa wrote:

seeing as it hit his thigh then surely it should be a knock on ? and oconner was playing the ref for the card in my opinion.

What?

Hit his thigh, a knock on?

O'Connor did what any person with even quarter of a brain should do in that situation, kick the ball over the try line and flop on it as no-one was going to beat him to the ball regardless, that's not playing the ref, he would have scored, that's called playing the game.

I suggest you read the law book, and take those rose tinted glasses off, as your understanding of the game is quite frankly appalling.

Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:17 am
Profile E-mail
International Player

Replays from all angles here, plus unbiased opinion :twisted: :thumbright:

I still reckon 1/2p timed his tackle for the ball being caught, O' Connor showed admirable awareness by NOT catching it (you can see in one clip his hands are out and just as the tackle starts he pulls back) and then calls for the penalty. 1/2p totally suckered into offending.

He probably would have tackled to stop the try anyway of course.

Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:38 pm
Profile E-mail
International Player

Cbeeby wrote:
lloydsa wrote:

What?

Hit his thigh, a knock on?

O'Connor did what any person with even quarter of a brain should do in that situation, kick the ball over the try line and flop on it as no-one was going to beat him to the ball regardless, that's not playing the ref, he would have scored, that's called playing the game.

I suggest you read the law book, and take those rose tinted glasses off, as your understanding of the game is quite frankly appalling.

ROFL any where on the knee or above is a knock on..... He clearly played the ref for a yellow in my eyes althought even if he caught the ball he probably still would have scored i just think the yellow card was a very harsh call considering the ball hit the guys thigh and simply refused to catch the ball

Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:31 pm
Profile E-mail