It is currently Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:10 am

ball outside 22 foot inside 22 
Site Admin

Post ball outside 22 foot inside 22
This is something that occurred to me today.

If there is a breakdown just outside the 22, and a player has one foot inside the 22 and picks the ball up from outside the 22, passes it to another player who kicks it directly out, am I right in thinking that the ball was not carried back as it was played from inside (the players foot being inside the 22 when he picked up?)

OR

Is the BALL the marker?

It is a difficult one isn't it, or is it just my head thinking too much?

Internet Marketing Consultancy - SEO Agony Uncle

Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:04 am
Profile E-mail
Post Re: ball outside 22 foot inside 22
Chris, I am dead against ALL this foot over the touchline & catching a ball, that may be a metre inside and may never have gone out. IMHO I think this law should be changed and the player who has a foot in touch should be deemed as to have carried it in. The same with the rolling ball on the try line or dead ball line. If the BALL itself does not cross the line, then the same adjudication as the touch line ball.

Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:14 am
Old Fart wrote:
Chris, I am dead against ALL this foot over the touchline & catching a ball, that may be a metre inside and may never have gone out. IMHO I think this law should be changed and the player who has a foot in touch should be deemed as to have carried it in. The same with the rolling ball on the try line or dead ball line. If the BALL itself does not cross the line, then the same adjudication as the touch line ball.

I agree Brian

Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:14 am
World XV Player

I think it should be the ball, not the player. Sometimes a 4 foot gap is enough for a runner, no point trying if you know you will get done is there?

On the subject of where the feet are, I was about to post something about 'calling the mark'. Both as above, and, as seems to be accepted now, sliding on your knees or bum, or in mid air pre-tackle.

Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:24 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Chris ScumV wrote:
This is something that occurred to me today.

If there is a breakdown just outside the 22, and a player has one foot inside the 22 and picks the ball up from outside the 22, passes it to another player who kicks it directly out, am I right in thinking that the ball was not carried back as it was played from inside (the players foot being inside the 22 when he picked up?)

OR

Is the BALL the marker?

It is a difficult one isn't it, or is it just my head thinking too much?

It seems to be the ball is the marker when being played back into the 22 BUT the player's foot when being kicked out of the 22 :scratch:

Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:11 pm
I think you are right Glyn, EG, if a scrum is set just outside the 22 and the defending ball gets the strike doesn't the ref call outside/carried in for that even if most of the defending sides forwards feet were in the 22.
Chris this may be the same as what you said about the one foot behind the 22,.
SJ, where are you to sort this one out. :)

Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:19 pm
Site Admin

Old Fart wrote:

All nice stuff Bri but doesn't apply to the question :D

OK so mark called, 1 foot inside the 22 1 foot outside, is it a mark?

ball on floor outside 22 player with BOTH feet inside picks it up and kicks it, is it direct to touch or a fair kick?

try again ballinside the 22 player 1 foot outside 1 foot inside, flicks ball up to player who kicks for touch?

do you see what I am asking?

Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:18 pm
Profile E-mail
See where you are going there Chris and I don't have an answer.
SJ we need you. :)

Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:00 pm
World XV Player

Here we go

1. Ball is in a ruck/maul outside the 22 and taken by player with both feet (or 1 foot) on or inside 22 ball is deemed taken back and cannot be kicked directly to touch.

2 player with 1 foot inside 22 catches the ball the ball is inside the 22

3. Player with 1 or both feet in 22 gathers rolling ball then the ball is deemed inside 22.

4. Player with 1 or both feet inside 22 collects stationary ball that is outside 22 ball taken back direct kick to touch results in no gain in ground

5. Player inside 22 jumps and catches ball calls mark and lands outside 22 = mark awarded

6. Player outside 22 jumps and catches ball calls mark and lands ibside 22 = no mark awarded.

Note 1 foot on or inside the 22 line = inside 22 whether receiving or kicking.

Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:01 pm
Thanks SJ. I knew you would have the answer.

Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:06 pm
World XV Player

Old Fart wrote:
Thanks SJ. I knew you would have the answer.

Or lots of answers :D

Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:38 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

Cheers Steve :thumbright:

Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:26 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Doesn't the foot-line-moving ball (emphasis on moving) apply, regardless of the goal/22/halfway line(s)? (Though only 3 'count')

Bit of tough luck for you then, old chap. I really don't give a toss about your perceived sensibilities!!

Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:28 pm