It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:20 am

Rugby - a non contact sport. 
World XV Player

Post Rugby - a non contact sport.
Calls to ban tackling in school rugby

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/41398969

I'm more and more convinced that the game as we know it is not long for this world. I suspect I won't get to see my kids play the game - mind you it's Tuesday and I still can't move properly from the weekend, and with my medical future largely blighted by the injuries and physical trauma I have and continue to put my body through, maybe that's no bad thing.

Anyway as for removing tackling from schools, it'll mean fewer players taking up the senior game for a start, and those that do, like people who take the game up late now, will be at the highest risk of serious injury.

Incidentally at the weekend, we had a guy yellow carded for a dangerous tackle, was a peach of a tackle, head on, picked him up, drove him back and put him right down on his arse. Absolute beauty - refereeing assessor called it a good decision.

The high tackle thing is getting ridiculous now too, hand on the shoulder, that's a penalty and potential yellow card.

Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:09 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
World XV Player

Post Re: Rugby - a non contact sport.
The pull of the game is the contact, kids would not want to play otherwise. After two years of tag kids have had enough. There are risks in everything. Rugby is what it is. My daughter would never send her 8 year old boys to a "non-contact" comp. Let the schools make the choice and let the parents decide where to send them.

Edit

I cant recall the last time i saw an injury caused by a scrum.

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:00 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Post Re: Rugby - a non contact sport.
Seen a medial ligament go in a collapsed scrum this season.

Mind you I don't think I've seen many problems over the years with scrums, plenty with rucks and mauls, but no so much scrums - the 'we've all got work on Monday' mantra always seems to have worked quite well come scrum time at dog shit level.

I don't disagree with what you say, Blindside, but momentum is, I think, against us

Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:11 pm
Profile E-mail WWW