It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 10:50 pm

Super Rugby futures..... 
World XV Player

Post Super Rugby futures.....
It is reported that there will be a strategic report on SuperRugby futures published this week?

Apparently NZ favour a reduction from 5 to 4 Aus and SA franchises.

Debate about the founding of a Fiji-Samoa-Tonga PI 'Province'

What will be the futures of Jaguares and Sunwolves?

Reported that the Japanese project will be shelved in the interim.

What is perceived position and futures ?

What is likely to be contracted period?

Of interest to the N Hemp with regard to SA futures and potential migration to NHemp already started with Cheetahs and Kings presence.

Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:39 am
Regional Player

Post Re: Super Rugby futures.....
They've already gone to 4x Aus and SA sides.

Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:50 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Figaro wrote:
They've already gone to 4x Aus and SA sides.

Maybe I misinterpreted the article which was in french.

Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:09 am
World XV Player

I did misinterpret :oops: , here's the article :

Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:22 am
World XV Player

........NZ do not want to have more than five franchises when SA and Aus are satisfied with their 4 representatives

goes on to say that NZ support PI Province and there's a dependence in the middle term of the futures of Jaguares and Sunwolves futures where the Sunwolves aspect seems to be running out of steam and questions their middle term future ...

Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:43 am
Regional Player

I don't really follow Super Rugby but I didn't think the SunWolves were any worse than the Kings were before, or the weakest team in any other league. A league is always going to have stronger and weaker teams, and the bottom half of a league by definition will lose at least half their games on average.

And not sure what getting rid of a NZ franchise will achieve, the New Zealanders already dominate the league so they hardly need even more concentration of resources and players.

Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:23 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Figaro wrote:
I don't really follow Super Rugby but I didn't think the SunWolves were any worse than the Kings were before, or the weakest team in any other league. A league is always going to have stronger and weaker teams, and the bottom half of a league by definition will lose at least half their games on average.

And not sure what getting rid of a NZ franchise will achieve, the New Zealanders already dominate the league so they hardly need even more concentration of resources and players.

It's their apparent dilemma.

As noted, the interest for the N Hemp is any liklehood of increased SA presence ....

Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:01 pm
British & Irish Lions Player

Sunwolves stone last in nr15 and Auckland Blues at nr14. Both teams got heavily dumped at times. Sunwolves competitive at times Blues aswell both blow hot and cold. Sharks 60 plus pointer over Blues at Eden Park this weekend

Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:19 pm
World XV Player

Post Re:
Vernon wrote:
Figaro wrote:

Sunwolves stone last in nr15 and Auckland Blues at nr14. Both teams got heavily dumped at times. Sunwolves competitive at times Blues aswell both blow hot and cold. Sharks 60 plus pointer over Blues at Eden Park this weekend

:D

And PLEASE don't try to shove it down my child's throat.

Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:21 pm

Sunwolves vs Auckland Blues should be a cracker :occasion5:
Blues would seek revenge from the 2017 game between the two sides

Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:11 pm
World XV Player

Post Re:
Vernon wrote:
Sunwolves vs Auckland Blues should be a cracker :occasion5:
Blues would seek revenge from the 2017 game between the two sides

:D

You come back after all that time to dine on a blues loss, cracking rugby fan you are. :D It’s such a compliment to NZ rugby that you follow our worst team, thanks man. :thumbright:

The blues are a bit shite btw, none of us are going to argue that. Only 6 games in, early days. If the blues win a few this thread is going to make you look an even bigger twat. :D

And PLEASE don't try to shove it down my child's throat.

Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:25 pm

Jip Blues won the Competion before and jip some ABs playing for them and jip SBW... that will make me no twat hey.. but
if S15 wants to aspire to be the best competition in rugby they need to drop 3 teams and sadly the Auckland Blues are one of them.
For the past 5 years sad story and bottoms. 5 years back Blues ended second from bottom and they are at it again...same old story now for 5 years and we must pay tv channels fee for crap
scrap Blues Sunwolves and bottom Aussie and make it a strong S12 with promo/rele in place in each conf and Blues can challenge again when theyr'e better

Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:50 am
Regional Player

Why is there this obsession in Rugby with kicking teams or of competitions and making them smaller - whether it's the 6N, Pro14, Super Rugby etc.

Therre are twenty teams in the English football Premiership and only four or so have a realistic chance of winning it, yet you never hear people banging on about how the Premiership needs to be more.competitive etc.

In any competition there will be stronger teams, and weaker ones. It's only a problem if you insist on believing it is.

Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:48 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Figaro wrote:
Why is there this obsession in Rugby with kicking teams or of competitions and making them smaller - whether it's the 6N, Pro14, Super Rugby etc.

Therre are twenty teams in the English football Premiership and only four or so have a realistic chance of winning it, yet you never hear people banging on about how the Premiership needs to be more.competitive etc.

In any competition there will be stronger teams, and weaker ones. It's only a problem if you insist on believing it is.

A superficial view?

Essential differences between Rugby and Football is the amount of support and investment and survival level on that basis, also the physical aspects of the 2 games does play a part ...current modern rugby exertions including off season tours and competitions is prohibitive.

I also believe that Rugby has more need of tiered rugby better suited to capability in order to ensure more development including emerging Nations?

Pro Rugby is in its infancy.

Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:03 am
Regional Player

The need to grow the game and involve developing nations is the exact reason why we shouldn't be contracting competitions, kicking teams out and blocking expansion. Player welfare is important yes, but there are other ways to reduce the number of games played.

Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:08 pm
Profile E-mail