It is currently Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:33 pm

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
NZ Rugby discusses plan to alleviate exits 
World XV Player

Post NZ Rugby discusses plan to alleviate exits
Reported today that NZ Rugby is considering a plan to try and alleviate exits.

At the end of 2016 the salaries had gone up from 121 NZ $ to 191m and the stress on salaries, presumably to prevent exits, is proving financially compromising.

Chris Lendrum of NZRFU is quoted as saying that they are discussing a more formal agreement with Euro and Japanese clubs to allow exchanges for limited periods and also Coaches. Players involved would be more at the development level. 2 year periods are mentioned.

Currently there are fears that players like Ngati may leave and that they want to ensure the presence of Ioane and McKenzie and to be able to secure it.

I dont quite get how this would work..although I would imagine e.g if key players stay for W Cup then they can be given 2 year sabbaticals? Obviously dev players would benefit from exchange.

NZ colleagues what is known of this in NZ and can you shed more light on this 'plan' ?

This is the article, I have tried to provide a synopsis of the key items and note the direct quotes.

The Article is headed 'The NZRFU plan to act against exodus'

(I can provide more translated detail as required)

Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:16 am
World XV Player

Post Re: NZ Rugby discusses plan to alleviate exits
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

NZ article same subject

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/ar ... d=11987747

Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:26 pm
World XV Player

^^^^*^^^^^^

In my opinion, if NZ Rugby think that they can cherry pick agreements with their choice coaches and set ups (as siggested in the above article ) they could well be up the wrong tree?

They could well underrate the strength of the likes of the LNR and PRL.

Also, The big spenders have powerful Presidents that won't be dictated to.

Interesting times.

NZ Rugby is due a next Annual Report bonanza on the back of the last Lions tour but that is just temporary relief.

The cat is out of the box now, ...as has been evident for some time...financials pressures are begining to show?

Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:42 pm
World XV Player

The NZRFU are looking for ways to stop a massive exodus, they will not mind losing a few players like they are now. I think its a good idea trying to come up with new ways to combat the money up north. They won’t lose AB’s, just fringe players who are part of the leadership group at their respective super teams.

It could very well benefit the teams who they aline with, so I’d imagine a few teams would be well keen to get close to that kind of relationship. There will always be players going to other clubs, but with the lure of possibly heading home after a couple of seasons with a decent chance at getting a super contract, I think it could be a nice carrot to dangle in front of the eyes of the better players.

And PLEASE don't try to shove it down my child's throat.

Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:28 am
World XV Player

Is it an answerable question if I ask- How many professional teams in NZ v how many professional players looking for a job?

If they all stay home will there be a job queue?

Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:02 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Tel predicts the imminent demise of NZ rugby.

What year is this? :sleepy2:

Now we know you get a wee little raging boner at any mention of an NZ player going overseas but settle down. Everything the NZRU has done in regard to rugby in NZ has turned out great (except possibly being forced into a weird Super Rugby structure by SA).

NZRU will make deals with some cashed up Japanese and Euro clubs who are happy to have players for a while, or an off season, or whatever and the players get to come back and still be an AB. Everyone wins. All these deals will do is ensure more AB dominance.

Will they sign deals like this with French owners/*tommy tankers* who want to ruin world rugby? Probably not. Does that matter with all the other money around - not at all.

The Amazon deal is coming...

Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:44 am
World XV Player

loosechange wrote:
The NZRFU are looking for ways to stop a massive exodus, they will not mind losing a few players like they are now. I think its a good idea trying to come up with new ways to combat the money up north. They won’t lose AB’s, just fringe players who are part of the leadership group at their respective super teams.

It could very well benefit the teams who they aline with, so I’d imagine a few teams would be well keen to get close to that kind of relationship. There will always be players going to other clubs, but with the lure of possibly heading home after a couple of seasons with a decent chance at getting a super contract, I think it could be a nice carrot to dangle in front of the eyes of the better players.

Loosie I disagree with you regarding level of players, I think that the NZRFU are begining to fear ABs leaving (already recently we have seen current AB squad players leaving ...not top ABs but current squad ...Fekitoa, Kerr-Barlow, FAumunina and younger Tamanivalu who came over and played during the AI's). I think also that you fail to recognise the level of the upsurge in expense to keep these players, cue the formal stats in the article.

I also believe, as stated, that the 'plan' is overly ambitious in terms of cherry picking teams for sabaticals, NZ coaches etc, that won't happen? ...I can't see the LNR and PRL and big business Presidents kowtowing to NZ dictate.

I have isolated the following in the NZ Herald article and I believe that the NZRFU are rightly being pre-emptive and looking, as stated in the article, beyond the next W Cup with regard to keeping AB level players.

As we say in french 'on verra' ...we will see.
-----------------------
quotes :

Player exodus is nothing new but the vast majority used to depart after a four-year World Cup cycle. Now, the lure of the All Blacks and chance to feature at pinnacle events is not enough for some even within the match-day squad. Regardless of age, securing financial futures

The theory is by attempting to facilitate offshore stints, NZR can allow leading players to cash in for one or two years and then guarantee their return.

Still, for an organisation steadfast in its policy of not selecting players from overseas, actively helping All Blacks spend time abroad represents a major shift.

In late 2016, NZR and the Players' Association invested an extra $70 million into the player payment pool, increasing the pot from $121 million to $191 million over the next three years. And yet still they struggle to compete

Indeed, while most leading All Blacks are locked in to the 2019 World Cup, fears are understood to be mounting about what the New Zealand rugby landscape could look like come 2020.

No doubt new talent will emerge, but Super Rugby and so, too, eventually the international game, could suffer dramatically if key players exit at the same rates

Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:48 am
World XV Player

I'm prepared to put my money where my mouth is - are you Tel?

Come July 31st 2020, if NZ rugby is in dire straights and we have dropped out of the top 3 in the world because of a mass player exodus I'll make a sincere post on any forum here declaring you were right all along, and I'll leave the boards forever - and I won't return under a new username. However, if July 31st 2020 rolls around and the ABs are still in the top 3 you must make the same kind of post, then leave these forums to never come back under another name.

You always have these open-ended predictions of doom for NZ rugby, when they don't come about you just push the end date out again. How about we cap this and get the argument done?

Man or mouse?

Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:58 am
World XV Player

Four More Years wrote:
Tel predicts the imminent demise of NZ rugby.

Don't be daft ...nowhere is that suggested, NZRFU are, as usual, being sensibly pre-emptive, they have to be.

What year is this? :sleepy2:

Now we know you get a wee little raging boner at any mention of an NZ player going overseas but settle down. Everything the NZRU has done in regard to rugby in NZ has turned out great (except possibly being forced into a weird Super Rugby structure by SA).

NZRU will make deals with some cashed up Japanese and Euro clubs who are happy to have players for a while, or an off season, or whatever and the players get to come back and still be an AB. Everyone wins. All these deals will do is ensure more AB dominance.

Will they sign deals like this with French owners/*tommy tankers* who want to ruin world rugby? Probably not. Does that matter with all the other money around - not at all.

The Amazon deal is coming...

4MY ... just raising an event which does highlight that the NZRFU have recognised the financial and longer term aspects of an increasing temptation to exit and the inhibitive cost of having to pay to keep them ... something that the S Hemp posse on here have been reticent to recognise and now it is clear that it isn't just a case of old lags seeking increased pensions and also providing opportunity for backfill. It is now that backfill is being threatened and even ABs ... see my reply to Loosie.

I've no doubt that NZ rugby can and will attract lucrative investment ... they need to ...look at the stated projected increase in outlooked salaries!!

As always 4MY I am looking at the evolution of Pro Rugby business.

PS ... all this also points to the potential burgeoning of the International Club rugby potential.

Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:00 am
World XV Player

So mouse it is?

Not willing to put an actual finite date on your predictions of doom that have been going on right through our back to back RWCs.

Weak. Stand up and get behind your prediction.

Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:07 am
World XV Player

You're not having a World Cup anytime soon, 4MY.

Keep your head down, man.

You know it makes sense to export Coaches and Players away from NZ.

:thumbup:

Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:11 am
World XV Player

Bouch wrote:
You're not having a World Cup anytime soon, 4MY.

Keep your head down, man.

You know it makes sense to export Coaches and Players away from NZ.

:thumbup:

We've WON back to back RWCs. I said nothing about hosting one.

Why keep my head down, Tel has been spouting this end of the (NZ) rugby world scenario for years and keeps pushing out the timeframes. Nut up or shut up in my opinion.

Didn't you read my post where I agreed with the NZRU doing it?

So quick to come to Tel's defence, but doesn't actually read the post.

Now Tel, how about that bet? You're so POSITIVE this is going to ruin NZ rugby. Put your *dinky doo* on the block. Do all your NH cronies a favour and remove me from the board. Cmon, let's see how much you really believe these ideas of if it's just all trolling.

My money is on you being a massive *fluffy*.

Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:38 am
World XV Player

Four More Years wrote:
So mouse it is?

Not willing to put an actual finite date on your predictions of doom that have been going on right through our back to back RWCs.

Weak. Stand up and get behind your prediction.

FFS!

I am not predicting doom I am just discussing change and associated opinion.

The root data came directly from the NZRFU and it is sensibly voicing potential significant problems if not acted upon. That is why it is in this Section!

I have suggested similar changes and potential problems in the past but have been refuted.

As stated ... it is sensible pre-emption by the NZRFU but I am of the opinion that the current tack will be difficult to achieve e.g the cherry picking aspect of it.

You keep asking for specific dates and that is silly, the NZRFU can't put any dates on their close in plan why don't you start by waiting to see what and when they plan on their current project.

You have obviously not been involved in strategic planning?? ... precise hard date specific long term aspects is nonsense. That comes more from close in planning and the ball is in the NZRFU court on this one.

PS It isn't just France ...England and Japan are also in the front line. Cipriani a good Eng 10 but not top line has been offered £50k / match by a Japanese Club.

PPS The french attempts to curb S Hemp immigration continue at too slow a pace! Radical change from them would , for me, be the radical solution but as has been detailed recently, and is there for all to see, that sadly the Club and Super Club rugby rules currently with very obvious detrimental International effect. I hope that this may finally open up some common sense to address the problem.

Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:17 am
World XV Player

Four More Years wrote:
Now Tel, how about that bet? You're so POSITIVE this is going to ruin NZ rugby. Put your *dinky doo* on the block. Do all your NH cronies a favour and remove me from the board. Cmon, let's see how much you really believe these ideas of if it's just all trolling.

My money is on you being a massive *fluffy*.

AS always with you it degenerates to insult and the swear filter.

Just re read your post ... whare have I suggested that this will ruin NZ Rugby?? and now you want me to put a prcise date on it.

Maybe you could assist by what you mean 'the ruin of NZ Rugby' in the first place.

Really 4MY you are, at best, being silly.... and please keep ot decent.

Thks

Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:27 am
World XV Player

You've been rubbing your hands together and predicting doom for NZ rugby for years. And as the success continues you keep pushing out the clock. It makes your predictions worthless.

Now own it, cap it, put a date on it.

Man or mouse?

Weak.

Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:50 pm
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next