It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:35 pm

New AB careers were born in Lyon despite narrow escape 
World XV Player

Post New AB careers were born in Lyon despite narrow escape
Quote:
OPINION: The All Blacks' win against France in Paris was unduly criticised and we should not repeat the mistake.

The young All Blacks side which beat the French 28-23 in Lyon on Wednesday (NZ time) must be commended. They showed patches of class but more importantly they showed character.

They effectively had to win the game twice. The last 15 minutes the otherwise excellent referee Luke Pearce ceded too much control to the big screen operator and home crowd who found a penalty in every All Blacks act.

But they stemmed the tide and finished the game with a 22-year-old prop, playing on his less familiar loose-head side, and a 20-year-old hooker bulldozing a French scrum to secure the win. Who said you needed to lose to learn lessons? What these youthful All Blacks did was to learn to win under pressure.

A departing veteran must also be given recognition. One poor pass aside, Tawera Kerr-Barlow was outstanding. He's probably the best defensive No 9 in the world. Moreover, his control at the base of the scrum was outstanding. There must be some heavy hearts in the All Blacks as he departs for a new life in France but who can begrudge him?

Yet this game was about the future, not looking back. And the future was wearing the black No 13 jersey.

Northland's Jack Goodhue was excellent. His late yellow card was either the result of poor luck or cynicism – only he will really know – but everything else he did hinted at a long stay in the All Blacks jersey.

He has time, on either side of the ball. Wings who play with Goodhue must love him. In the second half he was shown a little gap on the inside and took it but he instinct is to feed those outside him. Goodhue is one for the purist. He took his chance with both hands.

Inside him Ngani Laumape offered a bruising contrast. An intercept pass blotted his copybook but if you look at his contributions as a whole the positives outweighed the negative.

On Patrick Tuipulotu, another for whom this was a crucial audition, it's possible to be in two minds. There are few better sights in New Zealand rugby than the big man getting his body position low, either in the tackle or with the ball in hand, and just driving through opponents. Yet an early error in taking the kickoff is the sort of mistake that gets punished by better opposition.

Yet the surprise of the evening were the scrums. Looking at that tight five beforehand I feared the French might eat them up and no doubt the home side were of the same opinion. From the first set piece they tried to shove the All Blacks into the stands and got a shock.

The All Blacks were not budging. In fact, hooker Nathan Harris got a boot on the ball and raked it back to the black side. Jeffrey Toomaga-Allen has never scrummaged better. He conceded one penalty in the second half but was otherwise rock solid.

Then we come to those front-row replacements. Atu Moli has played most, if not all, of his Super Rugby at tighthead. Asafo Aumua has yet to even play Super Rugby.

Yet there they were, driving a French scrum off the ball in the last act of the game with the All Blacks' lead under peril.

Job done, experience banked and reputations enhanced.

The scorebooks will record a five-point win for the All Blacks, but they will take from it much more than that.

Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:50 am
World XV Player

Post Re: New AB careers were born in Lyon despite narrow escape
I really wanted to watch this but have been sick the last few days so thought it better to stay in bed. Hopefully I can find a replay somewhere.

Aumua wearing the black jersey before he even dons the canes shirt, pretty impressive and something not many would’ve done. Anyone got a list???

As far as experience goes, it was a cracking opportunity for our up and comers to get some game time in the French cauldron, pretty much test match experience. I wonder if the new players are capped? It wasn’t an official match so I’m guessing no. :dontknow:

Lots of people are talking about Goodhue, going to be interesting watching him develop.

And PLEASE don't try to shove it down my child's throat.

Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:11 am
World XV Player

Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:31 am
World XV Player

Didn't Richie have his AB debut before his Crusaders debut?

If so that's a pretty exclusive club.

Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:33 am
World XV Player

Four More Years wrote:
Didn't Richie have his AB debut before his Crusaders debut?

If so that's a pretty exclusive club.

That’s the one I was desperately trying to figure out! Knew I’d heard about some big name but couldn’t remember who it was.

Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:00 am
World XV Player

Not forgetting the french performance either with 6 new 'caps' ( no caps awarded)

Hooker Chat, Wing Lacroix and 7 Macalou were outstanding.

They could even have stolen it in the last mins.

The defence stood up well in the match and it was competitive throughout although I thought that the NZ were going to run away with it at the begining of the 2nd half and the long sequence near the line at the start of the half but a good french defence was formative. The NZ team were impressive in terms of up and coming players but I was disappointed with the likes of established Savea.

Maclou did very well in the lneout and the scrums went to NZ in general but, again, there were some mystifying turnarounds.

Reference comments in original post re ref, ...french equally upset with his performance .... crowd had to call his attention in order to get a tmo for missed offence and he was naive at breakdown. Different perceptions. The tackle on french 8 who was ko'd was also worth a tmo.?

There were gripes at the Pro foul that had a yellow, it was close to a pen try but the decision was correct.

Please forgive the negatives.

I thoroughly enjoyed the match and it was a good atmosphere.

Hope this isn't considered gatecrashing, silly not to discuss the match from both 'sides'

Please forgove me the tickle ;) ......I'm pleased with the development opportunity for Kerr-Barlow, La Rochelle will be grateful.

A deserved win for NZ and I was surprised but happy with the closeness of the result and some french performances.

Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:30 am
World XV Player

Quote:
Please try to keep the post on topic, if it drifts too far and is spoiling the original topic, it will be moved, If you think it needs to, then just post that you are starting a new topic in 'whatever forum'.

This thread is about new ABs starting their careers, not a game summary. Please move your post elsewhere as per the board rules.

Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:35 am
World XV Player

Four More Years wrote:
Quote:
Please try to keep the post on topic, if it drifts too far and is spoiling the original topic, it will be moved, If you think it needs to, then just post that you are starting a new topic in 'whatever forum'.

This thread is about new ABs starting their careers, not a game summary. Please move your post elsewhere as per the board rules.

The topic states ' New AB careers were born in Lyon despite narrow escape' but the comments in the original post reflect on the match and a later post actually summarises the tries from both sides. Comments also make reference to the reffing from a NZ point of view!.

Sorry but I don't consider discussing this stream from a different viewpoint violates Board guidelines "Please try to keep the post on topic, if it drifts too far and is spoiling the original topic" Do you really want to exclude comments on the match which give a different view, provides a wider but consistent context and actually cross reference points made IE my comments didn't drift too far and were relevant?

I did make the point that there was no intention of gatecrashing.

My post stays.

Complain to the mods if you think it strays too far but is in context and comments made cannot be directly addressed.

There is a difference between sensible guidelines and a closed shop?

Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:28 pm
World XV Player

Four More Years wrote:
Quote:

Lol, now yr the good fella, great you can help police all the posts, it was about you fmy thicko

Scuse my English/spelling/gramma and foul language

Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:46 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

loosechange wrote:
I really wanted to watch this but have been sick the last few days so thought it better to stay in bed. Hopefully I can find a replay somewhere.

TV in the bedroom = ultimate luxury :D
Hope you're feeling better mate.

Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:47 am
World XV Player

TheSmurf wrote:
loosechange wrote:

TV in the bedroom = ultimate luxury :D
Hope you're feeling better mate.

Mate, nothing was going to keep me awake. I was out for ages! I slept the whole day, sweet as when I woke up the next morning. No substitute for a good snooze!

Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:52 am