It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:47 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Samoan Rugby officially bankrupt 
Author Message
World XV Player

Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:35 am
Posts: 8604
Post Re: Samoan Rugby officially bankrupt
Blindside wrote:
Im not sure how all this becomes racist, i think many NH posters are miss informed or have come to their conclusions without understanding the facts. I admit that in the past i thought NZ child snatchers visited the islands and plucked out the best kids. Probably one of the reasons i understand this is rarely the case is through reading the posts of the NZ posters.


:cheers: :cheers:


Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:45 am
Profile
World XV Player

Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:35 am
Posts: 8604
Post Re: Samoan Rugby officially bankrupt
Justic wrote:
Blindside wrote:
Im not sure how all this becomes racist, i think many NH posters are miss informed or have come to their conclusions without understanding the facts. I admit that in the past i thought NZ child snatchers visited the islands and plucked out the best kids. Probably one of the reasons i understand this is rarely the case is through reading the posts of the NZ posters.


:cheers: :cheers:


Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:47 am
Profile
British & Irish Lions Player

Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:42 pm
Posts: 2280
Post Re: Samoan Rugby officially bankrupt
loosechange wrote:
Blindside wrote:
loosechange wrote:
PIers playing overseas is mostly for financial gain, and a better life for their whole family. I wonder what these individuals would say about increasing the residency rule to 10 years, it is directly related to them after all. I think 5 years is about right, and I think it is in place to stop tier 1 teams bringing in pro’s with the intention of capping them. Hopefully it’ll slow the “poaching” but I’m guessing it’s going to just make pro teams and unions hunt for younger targets. Time will tell I guess, but in saying that, if these players want to represent their adopted country, who am I to say any different. Mafi plays for Japan(studied in uni and then got a pro contract), was selected to both Tonga and Japan, and chose Japan. Don’t think he will ever live in Tonga, yet people give him and Japan shit.

People moving for a better life is the way of the world, and impossible to stop.

There’s no easy answer in this. The PI teams will never be able to select home based players and be competitive, they rely heavily on players living overseas, has always been that way and I can’t see it changing.

In the pro world of sport, there’s just something’s that can’t be helped.




Its a tough one ........ for me i think that the international team should reflect the effort of the Nation to provide the structures to grow the game and the number of quality players turned out. Nothing wrong with players chasing wages for them or their families or indeed the experiences that playing overseas gives you, however, i dont see it as good for the game, to give them the penny and the bun.

I would certainly cheer on Hadleigh Parkes in Welsh shirt, i like his attitude i like his play. He has been a positive for the regional game and a positive influence IMO on Welsh rugby. However, i do feel that my head tells me that we should be focussing on producing our own Hadley Parkes, through our own structures and system for international rugby. Im all for quality foreign players in the regions, but not in the international set-up.

That’s a good point. I guess it’s a bit different in Wales as the regions don’t really do what they’re told from above, do they? Does the WRU help bring in foreign players or is that completely up to each region? Are there rules about the amount of players brought in from overseas? And do a number of them have to be WQ?

Each country has completely different circumstances I guess, so 1 blanket rule will hurt some, and make no difference to others.


Afaik the regions cannot have more than six NWQ players, though do not quote me on that. Generally, however, within their limitations they sign who they wish. And as far as project players are concerned, Wales (whatever else you might say about them) have been less guilty than most in recent years (Faletau grew up in Wales and Anscombe's mother is from Cardiff, so they do not count either). Ireland have just capped Bundee Aki and have CJ Stander, Quinn Roux and Richardt Strauss; Scotland have WP Nel, Cornell du Preez and Josh Strauss; England have Nathan Hughes, Semesa Rokoduguni, Denny Solomona, Manu Tuilagi and the Vunipolas; France have Virimi Vakatawa, Noa Nakaitaci, Uini Atonio, Scott Spedding and Rory Kockott; Italy have Kelly Haimona, Abraham Steyn, Dries Van Schalkwyk, Jayden Hayward, Dean Budd and Ian McKinley.


Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:52 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:37 pm
Posts: 11266
Post Re: Samoan Rugby officially bankrupt
najbritcol wrote:
loosechange wrote:
Blindside wrote:
loosechange wrote:
PIers playing overseas is mostly for financial gain, and a better life for their whole family. I wonder what these individuals would say about increasing the residency rule to 10 years, it is directly related to them after all. I think 5 years is about right, and I think it is in place to stop tier 1 teams bringing in pro’s with the intention of capping them. Hopefully it’ll slow the “poaching” but I’m guessing it’s going to just make pro teams and unions hunt for younger targets. Time will tell I guess, but in saying that, if these players want to represent their adopted country, who am I to say any different. Mafi plays for Japan(studied in uni and then got a pro contract), was selected to both Tonga and Japan, and chose Japan. Don’t think he will ever live in Tonga, yet people give him and Japan shit.

People moving for a better life is the way of the world, and impossible to stop.

There’s no easy answer in this. The PI teams will never be able to select home based players and be competitive, they rely heavily on players living overseas, has always been that way and I can’t see it changing.

In the pro world of sport, there’s just something’s that can’t be helped.




Its a tough one ........ for me i think that the international team should reflect the effort of the Nation to provide the structures to grow the game and the number of quality players turned out. Nothing wrong with players chasing wages for them or their families or indeed the experiences that playing overseas gives you, however, i dont see it as good for the game, to give them the penny and the bun.

I would certainly cheer on Hadleigh Parkes in Welsh shirt, i like his attitude i like his play. He has been a positive for the regional game and a positive influence IMO on Welsh rugby. However, i do feel that my head tells me that we should be focussing on producing our own Hadley Parkes, through our own structures and system for international rugby. Im all for quality foreign players in the regions, but not in the international set-up.

That’s a good point. I guess it’s a bit different in Wales as the regions don’t really do what they’re told from above, do they? Does the WRU help bring in foreign players or is that completely up to each region? Are there rules about the amount of players brought in from overseas? And do a number of them have to be WQ?

Each country has completely different circumstances I guess, so 1 blanket rule will hurt some, and make no difference to others.


Afaik the regions cannot have more than six NWQ players, though do not quote me on that. Generally, however, within their limitations they sign who they wish. And as far as project players are concerned, Wales (whatever else you might say about them) have been less guilty than most in recent years (Faletau grew up in Wales and Anscombe's mother is from Cardiff, so they do not count either). Ireland have just capped Bundee Aki and have CJ Stander, Quinn Roux and Richardt Strauss; Scotland have WP Nel, Cornell du Preez and Josh Strauss; England have Nathan Hughes, Semesa Rokoduguni, Denny Solomona, Manu Tuilagi and the Vunipolas; France have Virimi Vakatawa, Noa Nakaitaci, Uini Atonio, Scott Spedding and Rory Kockott; Italy have Kelly Haimona, Abraham Steyn, Dries Van Schalkwyk, Jayden Hayward, Dean Budd and Ian McKinley.


Your french list is out of date, it doesn't matter. The real position is now and the intent.

France, e.g already have implemented a more severe restriction than World Rugby legislation and in advance of that implementation ... it is now selection by Passport which takes which will encompass the 5 years and the significant step of adopting another nationality. The steps to takes also ensure energies to qualify which include full language capability etc.

_________________
ImageEasy to consider past and present, it's the future and associated plan and strategy to achieve that takes the talent ..


Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:04 am
Profile
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 09, 2007 12:34 am
Posts: 15235
Location: Japan
Post Re: Samoan Rugby officially bankrupt
That’s pretty impressive Tel. It’s not easy getting a passport in a lot of countries, and equally it’s not easy giving your homelands passport up.

_________________
Religion is like a penis.
It's fine to have one, and fine to be proud of it.
But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around,
And PLEASE don't try to shove it down my child's throat.


Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:17 am
Profile
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:37 pm
Posts: 11266
Post Re: Samoan Rugby officially bankrupt
loosechange wrote:
That’s pretty impressive Tel. It’s not easy getting a passport in a lot of countries, and equally it’s not easy giving your homelands passport up.


Loosie,

God only knows France needs radical change to reshape the National performance, current chsnges made this Season eg increased release and treatment of elite squad etc will help but it's going to be long term. I believe that France have to, for example, appoint a foreign Coach who can shake them out of their unproductive, gallic foibles.

PS a reference to the Passport ruling

http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/38389827

_________________
ImageEasy to consider past and present, it's the future and associated plan and strategy to achieve that takes the talent ..


Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:18 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: