It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:38 pm

Two New South African Franchises 
Regional Player

Post Two New South African Franchises
Sounds like a plan for bankruptcy, is this some political power play by the current board to stay in power by handing a franchise out to everyone in the audience?

SA Rugby Magazine
Quote:
Two new South African franchises will be formed by the end of the year.

A tender process will begin on 4 October, with SA Rugby looking to have four franchises in Super Rugby and four in Europe.

The two new franchises could play in the Anglo-Welsh Cup.

'We have four teams in Sanzaar; we have two in Pro14 and the other two will start to develop to play somewhere,' SA Rugby CEO Jurie Roux told the New Zealand Herald. 'Hopefully something like the Anglo-Welsh as a development tournament. At the right time in 2020 [when the current Sanzaar broadcast deal ends] we can then make a decision on where our bases are.'

Roux again insisted that SA Rugby is committed to Sanzaar beyond 2020.

'We believe we are as strong as we are because we play Australia, Argentina and New Zealand. We measure ourselves by those teams even though the north is getting better.'

SA Rugby president Mark Alexander recently said the Springboks could field two different teams – one for matches in the southern hemisphere and one for those in the north – but Roux said this would not be the case.

'Having two completely different teams, that's ridiculous. Why would you not play your best team? You might get to a situation where you select four or five players because they are more adapted to the northern hemisphere. Test rugby is too competitive to play the same players week in, week out.'

Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:10 am
Profile E-mail
Club Player

Post Re: Two New South African Franchises
Does the Anglo Welsh actually make anyone any money?

Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:44 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Fingal wrote:
Sounds like a plan for bankruptcy, is this some political power play by the current board to stay in power by handing a franchise out to everyone in the audience?

SA Rugby Magazine
Quote:
Two new South African franchises will be formed by the end of the year.

A tender process will begin on 4 October, with SA Rugby looking to have four franchises in Super Rugby and four in Europe.

The two new franchises could play in the Anglo-Welsh Cup.

'We have four teams in Sanzaar; we have two in Pro14 and the other two will start to develop to play somewhere,' SA Rugby CEO Jurie Roux told the New Zealand Herald. 'Hopefully something like the Anglo-Welsh as a development tournament. At the right time in 2020 [when the current Sanzaar broadcast deal ends] we can then make a decision on where our bases are.'

Roux again insisted that SA Rugby is committed to Sanzaar beyond 2020.

'We believe we are as strong as we are because we play Australia, Argentina and New Zealand. We measure ourselves by those teams even though the north is getting better.'

SA Rugby president Mark Alexander recently said the Springboks could field two different teams – one for matches in the southern hemisphere and one for those in the north – but Roux said this would not be the case.

'Having two completely different teams, that's ridiculous. Why would you not play your best team? You might get to a situation where you select four or five players because they are more adapted to the northern hemisphere. Test rugby is too competitive to play the same players week in, week out.'
I think its watering down both comps, definitely Super rugby. Just thinking about our comp, SA have been struggling, relying strongly on conferences and guaranteed home finals etc. 4 teams may be more realistic in Super, but doubt these teams are going to do any better, as the watering players down again.

SA have grand ideas but strength not there atm, it will be interesting how they go in your guys comp.

Scuse my English/spelling/gramma and foul language

Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:00 pm
Profile E-mail
Club Player

The reduction to 4 Super Rugby franchises won't make any difference in competitiveness if the 2 PRo14 clubs stay at the same standard they were in Super Rugby. It certainly won't if they get stronger.

I think the theory is that involvement in Europe will make up a financial deficit that will keep Super Rugby sustainable, but the rumours seem to suggest that the other provinces would rather be playing in Europe as well (and if it brings more money to the owners, you can't blame them).

Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:32 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Figaro wrote:
The reduction to 4 Super Rugby franchises won't make any difference in competitiveness if the 2 PRo14 clubs stay at the same standard they were in Super Rugby. It certainly won't if they get stronger.

I think the theory is that involvement in Europe will make up a financial deficit that will keep Super Rugby sustainable, but the rumours seem to suggest that the other provinces would rather be playing in Europe as well (and if it brings more money to the owners, you can't blame them).

I think the competiveness in Super by SA will slide. Looking at the history, they have done OK ish, NZ mostly has dominated with wins and table standings, often having to give up spots for teams with less points so SA and Aussie can be involved more in finals. Now more players will play Europe rugby.. so imo the games will be less competitive down here (SA teams), and Aussie decline too.
We are holding it together re standards of play atm.
Most fans realise whats happening, in a way SA having cake and eating it. Most kiwis are at least looking at alternatives, ie an Aussie, NZ Pasific comp.. If we were closer to Europe we'd be there with bells on and would probably attract more interest than SA teams.
Just my thoughts, we need to look after ourselves now, SA have showed they have their fingers head and feet in other pies..

Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:11 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

SA rugby is destined for N Hemp.

Saracens consortium made a 'long' investment ;)

Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:11 pm
World XV Player

Tony Panties wrote:
SA rugby is destined for N Hemp.

Saracens consortium made a 'long' investment ;)

Yep, that's why I think NZ should reinvent with Aussie, NZ, Asia, PIs and Americas maybe

We NZRU want the SA $$, and are clinging on to a sinking ship, that's sailing away

Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:14 pm
Profile E-mail
Club Player

That NZ and Australia should stick together is obvious, but yeah, it does seem increasingly likely that Super Rugby (as we know it)'s days are numbered and that sooner or later all the SA teams will be in Europe. The question I suppose is how many - 2 or 4 or 6 or more?

Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:02 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Not a surprise now that NH opened up to sa. Positive the good Cheetahs win over Leinster aswell for SA's chances in the Pro14.
The 2x sa for the Anglo - Welsh cup comes from Currie Cup teams that were not happy as they are better than S18 sides such as Kings that was playing S18.
Can bet all my money the 2 sides will be Steval Pumas. Their coach Jimmy Stonehouse now on his way back to them from Japan and the Griquas a consistent Currie Cup performer.
Think SA wants promo/rele for their 2 Pro14 sides. Want stronger Pro14 representatives. Something that is missing in S18

Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:53 pm
World XV Player

The saffer teams have been kicked around for 20 years in Super Rugby, it makes sense some of them would look for a competition more on their level. Real fans like Smurf want to play against the best teams but we've seen how the other fans react with excuse after excuse, year upon year. Those fans will be eager to face a lower level of opposition.

There are definitely big changes coming, but I doubt we'll see the majority of saffer teams leave Super Rugby, especially not with Amazon sticking its nose into the market here. Just have a wee look at what happens when Amazon makes a documentary about a sports team (like they just did with the ABs...).

This feel a lot like the last 20 years of pro rugby where we've been told constantly that some new thing was going to destroy SH rugby. It comes from the same old suspects who want the entire game in their backyard - not real rugby fans who want a global game. The thing about these weak arse predictions is that they never include a timeframe, so the would be Nostradamus can never be wrong, they just keep pushing the execution date out more and more.

Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:53 pm
World XV Player

Lol I see the new flavour of the month excuse for 20 years of shitty performances in Super Rugby is "but our best teams weren't playing there!".

Let's see what it is now.
Quotas
Travel
Competition Setup
Number of Teams
And now the actual teams selected.

Have I missed any?

*fupping* weak. Just play better.

Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:03 pm
World XV Player

How are the teams doing in the north? I'm guessing not great or else they'd be plastered all over the SH section. :D

SA super rugby has always had a great team, a good team, and the rest, usually fighting it out with each other to not look the shittest. The conference system that was introduced just tried to hide the fact that SA doesn't have the strength in depth to provide 6 teams, now they're cut to 4, but can anyone see them sliding even further away from the top of the world? I hope the quotas strengthen SA in the future, I reckon it will. Right now though, they just need to keep their heads down and work through the tough times. 57 zip. That's a pretty telling result on where the two countries are at the minute. They have a big shot at getting some respect back when they host the second string blackness. Another drubbing and SA will no longer sit at the big 3 table.

And PLEASE don't try to shove it down my child's throat.

Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:58 pm
World XV Player

The team top of the log level below Currie Cup premier, the Griffons will have aspirations now for the Anglo-Welsh Cup. It will be good for school boys knowing they can see the best cities in Europe by playing rugby. With a promo/rele in SA in the Currie Cup extended to Pro14 aspirations for sightseeing Italy, Ireland, Scotland and Wales. Looking fwd next weekend Ospreys Cheetahs.
For Anglo Welsh having mentioned the Griffons, I will be backing the Steval Pumas though for the sa final contender same as the Cheetahs come Pro14 now after the 2 wins (in Pro14) , also had the Currie cup win same day but different team.

Steval Pumas : coach Jimmy Stonehouse excellent. If there was promo/rele S18 they would have played many a year and currently matching the sa Lions who managed to beat them by a single point. Pumas has a World Class stadium facilities and close to the Kruger Park where the big 5 are roaming around. Playing Currie Cup many a year. Consistently beating likes of Kings and Bulls which are S18. Will be like Lions are in S18 in Anglo Welsh and will beat Kings to play Pro14 later in promo/rele for Pro14

Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:22 am
World XV Player

loosechange wrote:
How are the teams doing in the north? I'm guessing not great or else they'd be plastered all over the SH section. :D

http://www.skysports.com/rugby-union/cheetahs-vs-leinster/84293

Enjoy the video.

Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:22 am
World XV Player

loosechange wrote:

:scratch:

Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:35 am