It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:49 am

RIP Sir Colin Meads 
World XV Player

Post Re: RIP Sir Colin Meads
Sad to see a passing of a legend, but marvelous to have left such an impression on everyone who loves the game.

:salute:

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:33 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Colin's "little" AB brother

Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:44 pm
World XV Player

Post Re:
Bokbefok wrote:
Is ol' Stan Meads still around?
Colin's "little" AB brother

http://www2.nzherald.co.nz/the-country/ ... _id=177792
Yep still here well

Scuse my English/spelling/gramma and foul language

Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:40 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/opi ... rugby-fans
Some great clips

Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:45 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

An amazing man on the field and a dedicated administrator off it - his contribution to our game has been immense and he has a host of friends all over the world who will remember him fondly.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/aug/20/all-blacks-rugby-union-legend-colin-meads-dies-aged-81

RIP Sir Colin

Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:59 am
Club Player

Big And Dull wrote:
SimplyRed wrote:
I never saw him play but sounds like he was a great player and hard as nails I hear?

Hard as nails? Yes, but occasionally took it too far. Seem to remember almost ripping some ones leg off in a Murn rayfield game
also he broke his neck in a car crash and when he woke up a couple of days later with a full body cast on he broke the cast trying to get out of bed to go tend to his sheep

He had a strong sense of fair play and would not start dirty play but if you did he would get retribution.. I seem to recall him talking about the leg incident.. the ref had blown things up and he was pulling on a leg Ref blew whistle again and colin just said wait a moment ref I just want to see who this leg belongs to .. seems as if the leg had kicked him so he was after its owner

Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:59 pm
Profile E-mail
British & Irish Lions Player

Genie wrote:
Big And Dull wrote:
SimplyRed wrote:
I never saw him play but sounds like he was a great player and hard as nails I hear?

Hard as nails? Yes, but occasionally took it too far. Seem to remember almost ripping some ones leg off in a Murn rayfield game
also he broke his neck in a car crash and when he woke up a couple of days later with a full body cast on he broke the cast trying to get out of bed to go tend to his sheep

He had a strong sense of fair play and would not start dirty play but if you did he would get retribution.. I seem to recall him talking about the leg incident.. the ref had blown things up and he was pulling on a leg Ref blew whistle again and colin just said wait a moment ref I just want to see who this leg belongs to .. seems as if the leg had kicked him so he was after its owner

I think that I had 2 separate incidents mixed up as 1. He was sent off against Scotland but the leg incident was Ken Catchpole an Aussie player in the 60's

Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:08 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Somehow I got sucked into this group in Dunedin, probably in early 90s that celebrated his birthday, you had to wear a number 5 jersey, scull beers from a 5 ounce glass at certain times and at 5 past every hour they read a passage from his biography. They rang Colin that night as they did every birthday. Funny stuff, only saw it once, but showed the legend status he had with some die hard rugby nuts

Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:41 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

A mate of mine some years ago whilst visiting NZ decided to look him up as he had been his childhood hero. Having found where he lived, my mate went and knocked on the door and introduced himself as a random stranger from Wales who always admired his play. He was invited in for tea and stayed to chat for a few hours. What a guy. 8)

RIP Sir Colin.

Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:38 pm
World XV Player

I saw him play against Llanelli in 1963 under Whineray, and he anchored a pack that which was strong and talented. Seemed to be a very no nonsense straight guy, and a real throwback to the game we older ones grew to love.

While the game is more precise and cleaner today, I enjoyed the battles against a Southern Hemisphere touring team, especially the All Blacks who represent the pinnacle of the game. That part of rugby has gone forever it seems, as the almighty dollar is king.

He was one the last of that generation with Willie John still with us. A great guy, admired by all, both teammates and foes.

Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:11 pm
World XV Player

Langland Exile wrote:
I saw him play against Llanelli in 1963 under Whineray, and he anchored a pack that which was strong and talented. Seemed to be a very no nonsense straight guy, and a real throwback to the game we older ones grew to love.

While the game is more precise and cleaner today, I enjoyed the battles against a Southern Hemisphere touring team, especially the All Blacks who represent the pinnacle of the game. That part of rugby has gone forever it seems, as the almighty dollar is king.

He was one the last of that generation with Willie John still with us. A great guy, admired by all, both teammates and foes.

There is heaps in nz about Willie John and Sir Colin, they must have been great foes

Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:32 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Forrealz wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:

There is heaps in nz about Willie John and Sir Colin, they must have been great foes

Liked the one about the South African entrepreneur, who made security systems, hired Meads, McBride and Frik du Preez to tour around SA selling alarm systems in the early Mandela days.

That must be have been fun, and who knows, they might have sold some. ;) :D

Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:14 pm
World XV Player

Langland Exile wrote:
Forrealz wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:

Liked the one about the South African entrepreneur, who made security systems, hired Meads, McBride and Frik du Preez to tour around SA selling alarm systems in the early Mandela days.

That must be have been fun, and who knows, they might have sold some. ;) :D

Sir Colin loved his beers so would have been into that. These old school guys are slowing leaving us (let alone the young ones, Jonah, joost, (spell), something about Meads reminds me of old school farming NZ that is slowly fading. Great man

Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:51 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Seems almost a bit dumb nowadays but I recall the man playing against us (Season 63/64 I think?) and what amazed me more than anything about the big guy, was he caught the ball at a lineout and run with it in ONE hand! That impressed the hell out of me at the time although you see it so often these days it's not such a big deal!
My uncle, had a lifelong friendship with Pinetree and I got my one-and-only handshake from him that felt as if a bear had me by the hand!! Has to rank alongside Gareth Edwards as a giant of the game with an international playing career stretching over some 15 years!!

Bit of tough luck for you then, old chap. I really don't give a toss about your perceived sensibilities!!

Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:15 pm
World XV Player

Otto wrote:
Seems almost a bit dumb nowadays but I recall the man playing against us (Season 63/64 I think?) and what amazed me more than anything about the big guy, was he caught the ball at a lineout and run with it in ONE hand! That impressed the hell out of me at the time although you see it so often these days it's not such a big deal!
My uncle, had a lifelong friendship with Pinetree and I got my one-and-only handshake from him that felt as if a bear had me by the hand!! Has to rank alongside Gareth Edwards as a giant of the game with an international playing career stretching over some 15 years!!

:thumbup:

Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:09 pm
Profile E-mail