It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:05 am

Fiji to Super Rugby from 2020 - it's starting... 
World XV Player

Post Fiji to Super Rugby from 2020 - it's starting...
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/ar ... d=11893008
Quote:
Having got so much wrong with its expansion strategy in recent years, Super Rugby is on track to score a massive victory with plans advancing to set up a team in the Pacific Islands.

The Herald understands that Sanzaar officials have targeted the Islands as the most viable expansion territory as part of their strategic plan to adapt the competition in 2020.

The desire to set up a new team - most likely in Fiji - is genuine and as such it is believed Fijian Rugby officials have been asked to put together a comprehensive and compelling case to be included.

Given how hard it is to bring new teams into Super Rugby, the plan is to give Fiji the better part of two years to ready themselves for entry in 2020.

With Fiji having shown consistent form internationally since 2012 there are few concerns about playing resource and ability.

They acquitted themselves superbly at the 2015 World Cup in the toughest pool and recently defeated Scotland while running Australia close.

Fiji are also the Olympic sevens champions and if they are granted a licence to set up a Super Rugby side, it is likely they will be able to pull back some of their best players who are currently in Europe or Japan.

There is also an expectation that the new team, should it go ahead, will likely be open to players from Samoa, Tonga and other parts of the Pacific.

But while the box may be largely ticked on the high-performance side, the bigger issue for Sanzaar is gaining confidence in finance and governance.

Fiji has in the last two years hosted games between the Chiefs and Crusaders that were well organised, well attended and well funded by sponsors.

Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:13 am
World XV Player

Post Re: Fiji to Super Rugby from 2020 - it's starting...
:thumbright:
It might all turn to custard, but it's worth a try!

And PLEASE don't try to shove it down my child's throat.

Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:34 am
World XV Player

Positive in principle.
How will the qualification for aPI team affect other country qualification? probably not at all?

Sorry, but it has to be said...is there sufficient money to deter the migration to other climes and will that team come under the auspicies of WorldRugby Article 9?

Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:20 am
World XV Player

If they can get sponsors it may well stop the flow of players to the NH.

Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:29 am
World XV Player

Justic wrote:

Of course, but it does depend on the extent of it.
I can't see it.
A positive that I can see is that it will potentially blunt the 'offsite PI Academies set up by french clubs.

Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:10 am
World XV Player

There is quite a bit of money in business and tourism Fiji. They probably would need other resources, would love to see Super rugby and IRB, pump some into it.

Hope this happens but getting rid of the bottom teams from Aussie and SA would be a start, already come on.

I'd still like 5 NZ, 4 Aussie, Fiji, Japan and Argentina.
Super 12

Scuse my English/spelling/gramma and foul language

Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:14 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Forrealz wrote:
There is quite a bit of money in business and tourism Fiji. They probably would need other resources, would love to see Super rugby and IRB, pump some into it.

Hope this happens but getting rid of the bottom teams from Aussie and SA would be a start, already come on.

Super 12

Or mix the Japanese team with the PIers.

And PLEASE don't try to shove it down my child's throat.

Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:02 pm
World XV Player

loosechange wrote:
Forrealz wrote:

Super 12

Or mix the Japanese team with the PIers.

possibly, but if one PI team was to do it independently with support of course, it would be Fiji..
Theyd need some big money to get some of their players back though, and it would have an internal pathway for the boys there. Fiji more than Tonga and Samoa can pick most of their players born and raised at home, often leaving at 16 plus like our league boys do here.
A Fiji team may stop countries from poaching Ill call it, players for their int teams. Almost every International team has a Fiji player not born or raised in their country but rugby exports at a young age, chasing the dream.

South Africa, I do really think its time to see past them. They are obviously on their own SA first journey. ie, pushing for 6 teams when they struggle to be completive with 4 even. Quaota overseas exports yada yada, but in the early days when not so many players were going overseas there top couple teams did OK but consistently the others were near the bottom. For the 4 nations (whats the word, anacrium), to agree on 6 SA teams and 2 home finalists was a complete joke, mistake and sarcoma to pressure.
Furthermore now they want to broaden their horizons and have 2 in Europe and 1 or 2 in America?
They don't care about our Super comp, the importance of it and how much damage they have caused and will cause.

We should promote our own comp with Aussie/Japan/Fiji possibly Argentina .
Bledisloe cup yep, huge focus a three match state of origan like. Try and keep the 4 nations alive, but be prepared for SA to jump.

SA are a step ahead in some ways but for a team that only does OK in Super rugby and OK in tri nations they are putting themselves before global rugby, and our SH area, its a f you to us..
Only my thoughts
I think the founders of Tri nations etc would be spewing at how this is at a point of falling over and to bits.

Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:02 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

The last time Samoa played a test there only one player in the squad was based in their homeland.

While you can't blame the players there is so much wrong about that.

The new set up would certainly raise the profile of PI rugby and the face of SR/RWC may well look quite different.

Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:10 am
World XV Player

A Fiji based team and another PI team based in Auckland might work.

I'm also pretty sick of SR and the 4N getting dragged into the bullshit politics of South Africa.

From here it just seems they are now all upset because their teams are losing, despite totally rigging SR to favour their teams, so they've thrown their toys and decided to go to a weaker competition. And the funniest thing is seeing people on these forums talk it up - since when is running away with your tail between your legs something to crow about?

Let's get it 100% clear here.

The Cheetahs and the Kings are leaving Super Rugby because they are *fupping* awful and offer nothing to the competition.

Everything else is just spin.

Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:41 am
World XV Player

Justic wrote:

10/10

Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:03 am
World XV Player

Four More Years wrote:
Let's get it 100% clear here.

The Cheetahs and the Kings are leaving Super Rugby because they are *fupping* awful and offer nothing to the competition.

Everything else is just spin.

100% clear would answer the Q ....is this the total extent of the migration?

I think not, EPCR are in discussion with SA on the basis of a wider scope 'Euro''

They've denied the rumour in the press but I'd bet discussion is already underway.the huge investment in Saracens by SA consortium is, imo, an example of the 'long game' being played ;)

Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:08 am
World XV Player

Eric Watson, or one of the Warriors top lot, discussed running a PI rugby team from Auckland, which at the time, the warriors were winning as many as losing, it seemed like a good idea, now the clubs a bit farked so options gone.

As Justic, and you have said, most PI players for Samoa at least and much of for Tonga are now from NZ and Aussie. So a team here to keep them down south would be great. The amount of kiwi and Aussie Pasific Islanders in Japan and Europe is huge..getting 15% of them back would be great.

Tel mentioned to there are rugby academies in Fiji (French), the Fijians have a more direct route (mainly) straight from Fiji. Trying not to be racist but if only the Fijian Indians could play rugby, Auckland would be sweet, as it's their indo Fijian population that have come here in droves at least since the coups (scuse spelling) started in late 80's.

Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:08 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Forrealz wrote:
Eric Watson, or one of the Warriors top lot, discussed running a PI rugby team from Auckland, which at the time, the warriors were winning as many as losing, it seemed like a good idea, now the clubs a bit farked so options gone.

As Justic, and you have said, most PI players for Samoa at least and much of for Tonga are now from NZ and Aussie. So a team here to keep them down south would be great. The amount of kiwi and Aussie Pasific Islanders in Japan and Europe is huge..getting 15% of them back would be great.

Tel mentioned to there are rugby academies in Fiji (French), the Fijians have a more direct route (mainly) straight from Fiji. Trying not to be racist but if only the Fijian Indians could play rugby, Auckland would be sweet, as it's their indo Fijian population that have come here in droves at least since the coups (scuse spelling) started in late 80's.

The Fijian situation will be interesting, as far as I know their players are in their army. Does anyone know if that has changed ?

Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:14 am
World XV Player

Justic wrote:
Forrealz wrote:

The Fijian situation will be interesting, as far as I know their players are in their army. Does anyone know if that has changed ?

The French army?

I do know that many go straight from the academy to France
Have a friend on FB, who played in France and for Fiji.
The Fiji boys would meet regularly for meals, kava and train, there were plenty of Fiji boys there.
Good pathway I spose, a bit like the NRL auckland pathways, (maybe not so many) but hope they all get looked after well?

Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:59 am
Profile E-mail