Post Hanson views SBWs, Barrett kicking and next games
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/ar ... d=11893001

Interesting, Jordie not given boots and BBs misses

Scuse my English/spelling/gramma and foul language

Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:19 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Post Re: Hanson views SBWs, Barrett kicking and next games
The whole miss 4 games thing is laughable. If you get banned for 4 games, they should be for same level or higher imo. I wonder who will start. :twisted:

BB really needs to up his kicking game if he wants to be the kicker.

Can't wait for the RC! Japan isn't quite good enough to play in it though.

And PLEASE don't try to shove it down my child's throat.

Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:41 am
World XV Player

So a NH player banned in a test for a hideous eye gouge that leaves the other guy blinded and is banned for a year can continue playing for his club side and collect the cash?

Enforcing bans is a pain in the arse. There's no simple fix.

Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:56 am
World XV Player

Bans have always been a pain, all of a sudden club games, the club SBWs was a gonna play for must havn a chuckle.

When Cruden has started, we have been good enough to get tries on the board, and better than most in that Carter Cruden time.

A. Couple few years back I though BBarrett was OK, but he needs to kick for his super team, and with Jordie he won't I recon.
With Smith out Jordie or Mkenzie will take the duty, who are both 70% plus boys and back up 10's Sapoaga and probably Moanga are 70% pluses too.
BB is def no 1, but with. Jordie now on the scene, awesome.
Are the next couple years going to see our power wingers take a back step, with Dagg and Smith preferred, with maybe Iaone being the more complete, catcher all round than Savea and Naholo. Then can Skudder get his form, I thought he was outplayed twice against the Lions, so he needs to get that mojo back, that 2nd year blues after injury also.?

Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:32 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Forrealz wrote:
Bans have always been a pain, all of a sudden club games, the club SBWs was a gonna play for must havn a chuckle.

When Cruden has started, we have been good enough to get tries on the board, and better than most in that Carter Cruden time.

A. Couple few years back I though BBarrett was OK, but he needs to kick for his super team, and with Jordie he won't I recon.
With Smith out Jordie or Mkenzie will take the duty, who are both 70% plus boys and back up 10's Sapoaga and probably Moanga are 70% pluses too.
BB is def no 1, but with. Jordie now on the scene, awesome.
Are the next couple years going to see our power wingers take a back step, with Dagg and Smith preferred, with maybe Iaone being the more complete, catcher all round than Savea and Naholo. Then can Skudder get his form, I thought he was outplayed twice against the Lions, so he needs to get that mojo back, that 2nd year blues after injury also.?

Everything about the current citing/ ban system is a joke. It's no one countries fault/ problem, it's everyone's.
I agree about BB kicking for the canes. It's a bit of a dilemma really, the canes coach won't change them, but SH can't do anything until he knows JB is a starter.

Our wingers seemed to have taken a step back, almost all of them, except maybe Dagg, but he didn't exactly cover himself in glory against the lions. Nehe was a bit of a one hit wonder sadly, hope he can get his shit sorted, we need all the wingers putting pressure on each other we can get. Savea is running on fumes, it's sucks! The canes need them to pull finger, some huge games coming up. I wonder how Proctor is!? I reckon he will play in the centers, and Aso will get a wing spot if all fit.

Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:51 am
World XV Player

We have this issue with wingers getting old in the mid 20s. But other than CJ (Dagg is really a FB) most of our wingers fading by 26.

Boys in rugby get pretty fast in their late teens and tend to throw down some good times for sprints, then they often seem to plateau a bit as rugby player whereas a lot of sprinters keep getting faster until about 30 then hold their pace or a few years after that.

Obviously there are training differences between rugby and track, but seeing a guy get slower like Jules is shit. He got run down from behind by Scott Barrett on the weekend. WTF.

CJ was never super quick, but quick enough and he never lost his pace. I reckon training needs to be looked at for our wings.

Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:37 am
World XV Player

Four More Years wrote:
We have this issue with wingers getting old in the mid 20s. But other than CJ (Dagg is really a FB) most of our wingers fading by 26.

Boys in rugby get pretty fast in their late teens and tend to throw down some good times for sprints, then they often seem to plateau a bit as rugby player whereas a lot of sprinters keep getting faster until about 30 then hold their pace or a few years after that.

Obviously there are training differences between rugby and track, but seeing a guy get slower like Jules is shit. He got run down from behind by Scott Barrett on the weekend. WTF.

CJ was never super quick, but quick enough and he never lost his pace. I reckon training needs to be looked at for our wings.

Man we miss a CJ, just a smart all round bloody good winger/fb. Or a Dougie Howlett, out and out pace man. We used to have massive wingers, bigger than most other teams, but now they are pretty common so they've got to have something else instead of raw power. Reiko looks to be in the same mold, big and fast, but how long will it last?
Aso is in the same boat. Nehe was a bit of a revelation when he burst on the scene but he's broken.
As for Savea, it feels like his brother is faster than him.

Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:02 am
World XV Player

Forrealz wrote:
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11893001

Interesting, Jordie not given boots and BBs misses

SBW subsequently missed the deciding Lions test and the Blues loss to the Sunwolves in Tokyo. The other two matches centre on Counties Manukau's preseason, and a club rugby fixture.

Ideally, given his lack of game-time, the All Blacks want Williams available for their hit-out against Taranaki and Counties one week prior to the August 19 Bledisloe.

But, whatever happens, Williams will feature against the Wallabies.

"There's one game that's a bit contentious about whether they are going to consider it or not," Hansen said.

"If that's not the case then we'll get him back just for the test match. If it's considered then we'll get him back for the game of three halves that we play every year before the Mitre 10 and Bledisloe starts."

You're right, Forreal, a sending off in an International match should mean All the matches he's been banned for must be International matches.

I've said that for many, many years and it's as valid now as it was in the 60s/70s.

Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:17 am
World XV Player

Doesn't work.

Bans applied solely to international rugby are overly harsh on lower tier rugby players. Although longer bans (4+weeks) may only be a small part of the season for a tier 1 player they can sometimes be a year or more for nations that play less international rugby. A 6 week ban could end a career quite easily.

I don't like the ban avoidance at all, but the problem is a lot more complicated than it first appears. There isn't an easy fix for it.

Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:35 am
World XV Player

Four More Years wrote:
Doesn't work.

Bans applied solely to international rugby are overly harsh on lower tier rugby players. Although longer bans (4+weeks) may only be a small part of the season for a tier 1 player they can sometimes be a year or more for nations that play less international rugby. A 6 week ban could end a career quite easily.

I don't like the ban avoidance at all, but the problem is a lot more complicated than it first appears. There isn't an easy fix for it.

SWB was the first All Black for 50 years to be sent off.

I think you might have missed that, byti ....

Would you like to reconsider your argument?

Anyway, time to go looking for some sun.

Bye.

Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:43 am
World XV Player

Bouch wrote:
Four More Years wrote:
Doesn't work.

SWB was the first All Black for 50 years to be sent off.

I think you might have missed that, byti ....

Would you like to reconsider your argument?

Anyway, time to go looking for some sun.

Bye.

Bouch, for once leave the petty bullshit out and try to discuss an actual point.

This has nothing to do with SBW and is a discussion about bans and how they are applied fairly and with the idea to minimize avoidance. I pointed out how your idea would be overly harsh on lower tier nations, I did similar to LC.

Anyone who thinks there is an easy fix that they've had sorted in their heads for years hasn't thought about the problem enough.

Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:50 am
World XV Player

N Hemp rugby is a prime example of the corruption (I use the word intentionally) iinvolved in punishment for serious offences.

Gouging a prime example of inexplicable range of penslty and individually cue e.g Hartley for cummulative general offences.

Other glaring examples include abortive attempts to enforce bans across country boundaries.

It's not funny but it is a joke ;)

PS I think the SBW offence was an example of fair judgement

Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:15 am
World XV Player

Bans not only punish the player banned, every team they play for are compromised and IMHO that is unfair.

I say they should be red carded and fined at a level appropriate to the offence.

I see that already players are intentially "falling" into tackles hoping for a red card.

Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:45 am
World XV Player

I get that it punishes the whole team but fines in other sports are laughable and problematic. Some NBA player will get a 10k and it's nothing, to have any credibility and consistency that same fine needs to be applied to lower level players - who absolutely can't afford it. It never is. The system might work if it is percentage based but eventually that falls over at higher numbers. When it's paying your bills 50% of $500 is more important to survive than 50% of $10k.

I don't know a solution but everything that has been talked about has issues.

Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:31 am
World XV Player

Justic, so many tackles the players seem to be falling mostly accidentally, AWJs was a classic, he lowered himself on impact. Even the SBWs one, (but his shoulder was going to hit him anywhere so deserved the red)
Faumuina tackle that gave away the last tackle, where Sincler jumped while hitting it up. It was accidental by Sincler (and Charlie), but does this mean players hitting it up in close range just jump in the air.

Needs really defined a bit more, so many players lowering body before impact.

The wings are a big issue, I thought Naholo might take his chances but didn't set the world on fire. I've got to get over the idea, my idea that the Iaone brothers seem ok with losing, 7's Blues and haven't seen either of them take the game and show the team follow me and die for the win. Akira showed a little administration the Lions.

I hope Savea can come back, but gees, yep 26 and time to go to France for a big pay check, sad. CJ in his 3 years or more at the top was a game breaker, the fend was awesome......

Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:56 pm
Profile E-mail