It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:16 pm

12 SA Teams play overseas in 2018 
World XV Player

Post 12 SA Teams play overseas in 2018
Official anouncement 2 Aug
6 in NH
4 in SH
2 in USA

Griquas and Steval Pumas will join with 2 other teams the Anglo-Welsh cup. Cheetahs Kings Pro12. Happy the Steval Pumas get in there although not in tougher Pro12. Pumas has a world class stadium and facilities. They're a constant good Currie Cup performer. An added attraction is they're next to the Kruger National Park for tourism. If they structure this right the Steval Pumas Griquas and another two can challenge for Pro12. The 2 teams joining USA will still be named

Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:05 pm
World XV Player

Post Re: 12 SA Teams play overseas in 2018
Bokbefok wrote:
Official anouncement 2 Aug
6 in NH
4 in SH
2 in USA

Griquas and Steval Pumas will join with 2 other teams the Anglo-Welsh cup. Cheetahs Kings Pro12. Happy the Steval Pumas get in there although not in tougher Pro12. Pumas has a world class stadium and facilities. They're a constant good Currie Cup performer. An added attraction is they're next to the Kruger National Park for tourism. If they structure this right the Steval Pumas Griquas and another two can challenge for Pro12. The 2 teams joining USA will still be named

I know it's closer for you but it's pretty go forward. It will dilute our super rugby further though. NZ need to get to it

Scuse my English/spelling/gramma and foul language

Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:14 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

;)

SA/N Hemp affinity on the march!

Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:36 pm
World XV Player

The Currie cup will get a winner in August 2018 which will be good as these competitions won't affect our holy grail.
looking forward to see these players playing on 'home soil' again :
CJ Stander and Jaco Taute (Munster)
Marnitz Boshoff (Connacht)
Marcell Coetzee (Ulster)
WP Nel (Edinburgh)
Oli Kebble (Glasgow Warriors)
Sarel Pretorius (Newport Gwent Dragons)
Derrick Minnie (Zebre)
Richardt Strauss (Leinster)

Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:49 pm
World XV Player

I wonder how the NH teams will cope with all the flight hours and playing at altitude.

It will interesting watching this new comp evolve.

Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:37 am
World XV Player

Justic wrote:
I wonder how the NH teams will cope with all the flight hours and playing at altitude.

It will interesting watching this new comp evolve.

Conferences will be the next interim phase probably with an EPCR c-o-c and focus.

That's the best way to encourage/include the franglais without radical damage initially to their home leagues. Already there are signs e.g in France to reduce the # of league games with the increased pressure on release for the International game. EPCR format change wouldn't hugely effect that.

World Rugby promised w/wide timetable also an essential key which could release block schedules. World Rugby are, however, very nervous of influence of the governance of the 'international underlay' level (I hesitate to say 'Clubs' because there are Regions etc )

The SA move isn't new news it's been on the cards in the background for some time and the investment levels of the likes of Saracens that dismayed some people is now better understood and the positioning of their SA consortium investment ;)

It could also be positive if sensibly levelled and seeded to include the development countries.

Pleased to see it evolve .

Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:53 am
Regional Player

Post Re:
Bokbefok wrote:
The Currie cup will get a winner in August 2018 which will be good as these competitions won't affect our holy grail.
looking forward to see these players playing on 'home soil' again :
CJ Stander and Jaco Taute (Munster)
Marnitz Boshoff (Connacht)
Marcell Coetzee (Ulster)
WP Nel (Edinburgh)
Oli Kebble (Glasgow Warriors)
Sarel Pretorius (Newport Gwent Dragons)
Derrick Minnie (Zebre)
Richardt Strauss (Leinster)

Munster signed Chris Cloete and Gerbrandt Grobler this season. Ulster signed Schalk van der Merwe and Jean Deysel who had a short term contract at Munster last season. Good signings or squad fillers?

Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:14 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Chris Cloete the Steval Pumas Currie Cup openside flanker.
I reckon he is there with SA's best nr6s in Jaco Kriel and Kwagga Smith
Cloete shortish 1.78m play to the ground weighs about 98 kgs
Pure strength! Fitness test to see if this Steval Pumas Currie Cup flanker could be loaned to Kings had him doing 28 bench press reps with 100kgs

http://m.sarugbymag.co.za/?postslug=/bl ... springboks

Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:03 pm
World XV Player

are we walking into this Pro 14 with our eyes shut?
Costs for all the teams? Travel? the worth of even the Italian sides being in it...I think its wrong. wrong wrong. Also the dilution of the Welsh derbies is a bad idea.
cant see many positives about this whole deal. Why are we propping up South African rugby??

Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:26 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
World XV Player

SimplyRed wrote:
Costs for all the teams? Travel? the worth of even the Italian sides being in it...I think its wrong. wrong wrong. Also the dilution of the Welsh derbies is a bad idea.
cant see many positives about this whole deal. Why are we propping up South African rugby??

All about futures, SA affinity with N Hemp and NOT just the Pro12 leaves S Hemp with a dilemma?

This the begining .....what happens should SA align more and the franglai enter the amalgam...

Who is going to bail Aus and Arg out ...? Where are NZ going to position. What will happent to S Hemp Super Rugby ...

Think out of the box Leight

Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:05 pm
World XV Player

Tony Panties wrote:
SimplyRed wrote:

All about futures, SA affinity with N Hemp and NOT just the Pro12 leaves S Hemp with a dilemma?

This the begining .....what happens should SA align more and the franglai enter the amalgam...

Who is going to bail Aus and Arg out ...? Where are NZ going to position. What will happent to S Hemp Super Rugby ...

Think out of the box Leight

It's going to be interesting thats for sure. It's either going to be a big success, or a financial bomb. These SA sides are considered the wooden spooners, so not great, but not bad.

Some of the crowds at the pro12 games are so small I had to look twice to make sure there was actually a digit missing.
Are the tv deals that huge that it doesn't matter how many bums are on seats?
I wonder how much interest this will generate with the current pro12 fans? Who here is looking forward to playing the meat eaters?

I'll be gutted if they leave super rugby all together as it'll just make them weaker, and us also. I guess they will still play the RC???

And PLEASE don't try to shove it down my child's throat.

Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:00 am
World XV Player

Gielie me old boet, I'll defo be heading to SA for a game or 2, fancy a meet up?

Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:04 am
World XV Player

loosechange wrote:
It's going to be interesting thats for sure. It's either going to be a big success, or a financial bomb. These SA sides are considered the wooden spooners, so not great, but not bad.

Some of the crowds at the pro12 games are so small I had to look twice to make sure there was actually a digit missing.
Are the tv deals that huge that it doesn't matter how many bums are on seats?
I wonder how much interest this will generate with the current pro12 fans? Who here is looking forward to playing the meat eaters?

I'll be gutted if they leave super rugby all together as it'll just make them weaker, and us also. I guess they will still play the RC???

I don'know mate. I could see a NZ/AUS/PI/Jap tourney where AB eligible players were able to play in any team (and Aus/Jap/PI players) similar to the NRL. Obviously it would lose some advertising $$ from losing SA, but it would also gain some clout with all the games being at a time people are actually watching. 33% more viewable hours of game play rather than 3am advertising slots that they practically give away. I think we'd all be surprised at the TV deal that could generate.

But ideally I'd like to see the ABs move away from Rupert Murdoch and to a streaming service - sport will go that way soon enough anyway. Screw the region locking and from 2020 make the SH tourney viewable worldwide online easily. Youtube are testing sports now, it is only a matter of time until cable/sat/set top box TV is a thing of the past. Expecting people to pay $100+/month to get 2000 channels they never watch just to see a few rugby games each week is dinosaur stuff and the meteor is coming.

As for making us weaker if they leave SR...do you really think so? I mean what are the big contests in SR? Are they NZ v SA or NZ v NZ? I don't think the contact with SA in SR is making our SR teams better, I think the internal competition is doing that. Look at the system this year - no NZ team has even played the top SA team and all the other SA teams have been average. Our worst team, that we constantly ridicule - the Blues, are only around 1 win behind the 2nd placed SA team.

Unlike some rugby "fans" on these boards I reckon most of us have a pretty global attitude. Sure I want the ABs to win, but it's not about wanting rugby in SA, Aus, or any particular region to fall over. I don't cheer when a tennis player hits a ball into the net, I cheer the winners the other guy hits. If moving some teams around helps SA keep their players and makes their national team better then I'm all for it. I guess it comes down to whether you're a real rugby fan, or a rugby in my back yard fan. I'd love to see a good Pacific tourney, something through North/South America, an Asian tourney, a Euro comp, everywhere. So much good rugby to watch - it'd be great.

Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:29 am
World XV Player

Yeah fair points. I guess I'm looking at our rivalry historically rather than the now, and the now ain't looking sharp for anyone in the SH rugbywise except us. Or maybe we are just making the gap bigger? :dontknow: The TV times I hadn't thought about, that's definitely a big bonus. :thumbright:

Football has gone the streaming route, as has American sports. It's the future for sure.

Mate, I want every rugby nation to improve, especially the cons and meat eaters, maybe my giving shit to bok on here comes across like I don't want them to succeed but I really hope they do. As you say, if going north is better for them, then they'd be mad to stay in the SH. Do you know what it will all mean for their national team? Any talk about that? I can't imagine the NH fans will be too keen on having them in the 6Ns. :dontknow:

And PLEASE don't try to shove it down my child's throat.

Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:17 am
World XV Player

I cringe looking at this final system, it's f d.
I try and support it but gees, really Lions winning, which they could really do, without facing a NZ team till the semis.
Oh well I've said this all year.
Good on them if they win.
The Lions series *fupped* the Crusaders, the one game they really needed to win, is it a curse now for the Saders.

I've wanted and agree, it's better off we do our thing and try and get the Aussies over their uselessness. And Japan and a PI team as FMYs says. Spreading ABs could help. I get really weary of loaning non All Blacks because three years and they're Aussies. If say Aso played for NSWs for the next three seasons he's a Wallaby at 26. All Blacks only maybe. Only ABs in Aussie can play for ABs. Prob wouldn't work.

Gonna have to cut the SA people, they are now spread way too thin. I like what we had, but they are all about themselves

Interesting the Lions real team played all 5 of our teams, won 2, lost 2 and drew 1. And the Lions juniors didn't get to play one of our teams... till now and only at home.

Our home games are awesome.

Scuse my English/spelling/gramma and foul language

Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:26 am
Profile E-mail