It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:35 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Sunwolves the carnage 
World XV Player

Post Re: Sunwolves the carnage
You forgot "my buddy's son".

Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:32 pm
World XV Player

Post Re:
Bokbefok wrote:
They said they will anounce the 2 sa teams that join Pro12 tomorrow
Bear in mind it won't be the two weakest sa sides
Bulls are bottom of the sa conference logs
They set criteria such as gate and quota% aswell as performance over a lengthy period

I really looked forward to the Lions going Pro12 but now have my doubts

I did not like Sanzar's scrapping the Lion's record winning the first ever Super rugby title in all fairness. They gave our team's colour composition and the fact that we were not yet democratic as reasons and that was only a few months before our first democratic elections!
It anyway boomeranged big time on them at Ellispark in the 95' WC when more than half of that team that beat them were from that same Lions (then called Tvl) team that also beat the Auckland blues in the first final

Bulls might be kak this season but they arent historically the worst SA team, they've even won a title haven't they?

What super rugby are you talking about? The blues won the first super 12 final. And what's this about SANZAR scrapping the lions record?

And PLEASE don't try to shove it down my child's throat.

Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:13 pm
Regional Player

Post Re:
GreenandGold.com
Quote:
Over the weekend, news came out to the effect that the Cheetahs and the Kings – slated to be cut from Super Rugby – will join the Pro 12. The Pro 12 is the club competition, featuring 4 Welsh and Irish sides, and 2 teams each from Scotland and Italy.

The Welsh RU chairman Gareth Davies has admitted there’s been talks, while Cheetahs captain Francois Venter recently said this:

“We are stepping into a new stage of Free State Rugby.

“I can’t tell you probably any more than has already been stated. There are discussions going on, which people are aware of, between the Pro12 and the SARU and the franchises down there.

“At the moment it looks like the two teams from Super Rugby that will not be in the competition next year will join. I suspect there will be further interest from South African teams as well.”

Wayne Smith, over at the Australian (paywall), has added this to the debate.

“It is Davies’ last statement that will most excite the ARU, which would clearly prefer South Africa to bail out entirely on Super Rugby and move to Europe — possibly at the end of the broadcast deal in 2020.

“That would leave Australia to pursue what it sees as its best competition model, a cost-effective and compact trans-Pacific competition with the five NZ sides, the Sunwolves and arguably the three islander nations, Fiji, Samoa and Tonga.

“Ironically, if such a competition were to come about, a fifth Australian team could well be required, but with South Africa moving ahead to reduce its Super Rugby presence, the pressure is on the ARU to do the same.

Of course that model completely forgets about the Argentina franchise.

Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:19 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Post Re: Re:
Fingal wrote:
GreenandGold.com
Quote:
Over the weekend, news came out to the effect that the Cheetahs and the Kings – slated to be cut from Super Rugby – will join the Pro 12. The Pro 12 is the club competition, featuring 4 Welsh and Irish sides, and 2 teams each from Scotland and Italy.

The Welsh RU chairman Gareth Davies has admitted there’s been talks, while Cheetahs captain Francois Venter recently said this:

“We are stepping into a new stage of Free State Rugby.

“I can’t tell you probably any more than has already been stated. There are discussions going on, which people are aware of, between the Pro12 and the SARU and the franchises down there.

“At the moment it looks like the two teams from Super Rugby that will not be in the competition next year will join. I suspect there will be further interest from South African teams as well.”

Wayne Smith, over at the Australian (paywall), has added this to the debate.

“It is Davies’ last statement that will most excite the ARU, which would clearly prefer South Africa to bail out entirely on Super Rugby and move to Europe — possibly at the end of the broadcast deal in 2020.

“That would leave Australia to pursue what it sees as its best competition model, a cost-effective and compact trans-Pacific competition with the five NZ sides, the Sunwolves and arguably the three islander nations, Fiji, Samoa and Tonga.

“Ironically, if such a competition were to come about, a fifth Australian team could well be required, but with South Africa moving ahead to reduce its Super Rugby presence, the pressure is on the ARU to do the same.

Of course that model completely forgets about the Argentina franchise.

:shock: blimey, haven't seen or heard anything like that. Would rather the boks had a couple of teams stay, but if that's what they want then fair enough. PI teams, that'd be nice! Have no idea how they could afford it though. :scratch:

Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:36 pm
World XV Player

I like playing the saffers, but not via this conference system. If it came down to staying with the saffers and conferences or this pacific alternative I'd choose the latter.

It would make the 4N a bit more interesting too.

Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:30 am
World XV Player

So Washington DC is expected to get a team in the Pro 12 too in 2018 and it will them split into two conferences.

Can almost see how Pro 12+East Coast USA and SR+West Coast USA could work in the future.

Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:17 am
World XV Player

Four More Years wrote:
I like playing the saffers, but not via this conference system. If it came down to staying with the saffers and conferences or this pacific alternative I'd choose the latter.

It would make the 4N a bit more interesting too.

For sure. The NZ derbys are epic, even with the blues. Playing times are good. Just need the cons to step it up a bit! It'll probably end up being NZ sides in the playoffs but hopefully the other teams would improve over time.

Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:32 am
World XV Player

Four More Years wrote:
So Washington DC is expected to get a team in the Pro 12 too in 2018 and it will them split into two conferences.

Can almost see how Pro 12+East Coast USA and SR+West Coast USA could work in the future.

Our forum welsh yank seems to think it's a bit of a minefield by the sounds of it, no moolah.

If it does happen I hope it works, the more strings players/ teams, the better.

Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:34 am
Club Player

Post Re:
Bokbefok wrote:
They said they will anounce the 2 sa teams that join Pro12 tomorrow
Bear in mind it won't be the two weakest sa sides
Bulls are bottom of the sa conference logs
They set criteria such as gate and quota% aswell as performance over a lengthy period

I really looked forward to the Lions going Pro12 but now have my doubts

I did not like Sanzar's scrapping the Lion's record winning the first ever Super rugby title in all fairness. They gave our team's colour composition and the fact that we were not yet democratic as reasons and that was only a few months before our first democratic elections!
It anyway boomeranged big time on them at Ellispark in the 95' WC when more than half of that team that beat them were from that same Lions (then called Tvl) team that also beat the Auckland blues in the first final

You might not have to wait too long, Bok.
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union ... x6qkv.html
Quote:
While nothing has been confirmed, there are rumours South Africa is on the outer with other southern hemisphere nations, given they are happy to shift teams to the northern hemisphere.

If other South African franchises were to follow suit, as is being assumed, it could leave Super Rugby in disarray, creating the possibility of an exclusively Australian and New Zealand competition.

It is a scenario RUPA chief executive Ross Xenos says makes sense.

"The prospective decision to move two teams into the Pro12 has significant and direct consequences for Australia and Super Rugby," Xenos told Fairfax Media. "It is now very apparent that SARU are testing the waters on the long-term option of their teams playing in European competitions full-time from 2021.

Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:40 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Kings and Cheetahs joining Pro12. Kings doing well (a few points behind the Sharks who are in the playoffs) and Cheetahs can play a better brand of rugby we have seen from them this year in S18 having won the CurrieCup (without restricted to quotas as in S18)

"Cape Town - Both the Cheetahs and the Kings have committed to seeking "exciting international ventures" following the decision to axe them from Super Rugby 2018.

SA Rugby confirmed on Friday that the Stormers, Sharks, Bulls and Lions would be the four franchises representing South Africa in the 2018 tournament following the SANZAAR restructuring.

SA Rugby president Jurie Roux thanked both franchises for their commitment to Super Rugby, while an SA Rugby statement added that "announcements relating to new international competitive opportunities for the two teams will be made in due course."

That fuels speculation that both the Kings and the Cheetahs are on the verge of joining Europe's Pro12 - a competition currently made up of sides from Ireland, Wales, Italy and Scotland."

Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:55 pm
World XV Player

Post Re:
Bokbefok wrote:
Kings and Cheetahs joining Pro12. Kings doing well (a few points behind the Sharks who are in the playoffs) and Cheetahs can play a better brand of rugby we have seen from them this year in S18 having won the CurrieCup (without restricted to quotas as in S18)

"Cape Town - Both the Cheetahs and the Kings have committed to seeking "exciting international ventures" following the decision to axe them from Super Rugby 2018.

SA Rugby confirmed on Friday that the Stormers, Sharks, Bulls and Lions would be the four franchises representing South Africa in the 2018 tournament following the SANZAAR restructuring.

SA Rugby president Jurie Roux thanked both franchises for their commitment to Super Rugby, while an SA Rugby statement added that "announcements relating to new international competitive opportunities for the two teams will be made in due course."

That fuels speculation that both the Kings and the Cheetahs are on the verge of joining Europe's Pro12 - a competition currently made up of sides from Ireland, Wales, Italy and Scotland."

:shock: There's quotas in rugby!?

Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:57 am
World XV Player

Yup.
Effective immediately, every team must field at least one Buddy's son or face fines or expulsion.

Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:03 am
World XV Player

Quota % was one of the selection criteria
the other gate and performance etc.
That was one of the reasons they pinned it down to Lions Cheetahs Kings before tje final cut
My buddy's son is not a quota player

Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:48 am
World XV Player

:wtf:

Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:50 am
World XV Player

Now the Lions can start concentrating on the S18 playoffs ending many months of unsurety of their whereabouts next year
Sharks to come
Hurricanes Crusaders another interresting game all next weekend

Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:29 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next