It is currently Mon May 29, 2017 10:48 am

Sonny Bill and Sponsors?? 
World XV Player

Post Sonny Bill and Sponsors??
What is all this issue about SBW and jersey sponsors conflict with Islamic brliefs pls?

I dont quite understand the full story behind the french article

Thks

french article stating that he has a contract supporting his religious beliefs that can relate to him not revealing jersey sponsor ads??

http://www.lequipe.fr/Rugby/Actualites/ ... que/792266

Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:27 pm
World XV Player

Post Re: Sonny Bill and Sponsors??
He wants nothing to do with banks, alcohol and tobacco, religious reasons. Fair enough I guess. No different to MJ not playing Sundays is it?

And PLEASE don't try to shove it down my child's throat.

Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:29 am
World XV Player

loosechange wrote:
He wants nothing to do with banks, alcohol and tobacco, religious reasons. Fair enough I guess. No different to MJ not playing Sundays is it?

Not as simple as that though is it.
The sponsor sponsors the team jersey and the competition.

If one would compare to MJ he shouldn't play in the jersey and therefore the competition?

It is quite a discussion?

SBW has had lots of allowance granted ...RU/RL/Boxing/multiple foreign sabaticals etc

Apparently his contract contains a clause to not be confronted with issue(s) in conflict with his adopted religion.

I wonder what the Auckland/NARFU contract with the Bank states. There's also a tenuous objection to why a Bank is in conflict with Islalism?

other internal references here : a popular subject

e;g Prime Minister Bill English criticises Sonny Bill Williams' decision to cover up sponsor's logo etc

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/supe ... objections

Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:25 am
World XV Player

Both the blues and bnz have no problems, I believe every player has the right to refuse to wear alcohol, tobacco, bank, and gambling sponsors, it's just that almost everyone doesn't care.

Good for him, I'd be feeling a little strange wearing tobacco sponsors if I was a sportsman, and banks can go and get F'd as far as I'm concerned.

Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:44 am
World XV Player

loosechange wrote:
Both the blues and bnz have no problems, I believe every player has the right to refuse to wear alcohol, tobacco, bank, and gambling sponsors, it's just that almost everyone doesn't care.

Good for him, I'd be feeling a little strange wearing tobacco sponsors if I was a sportsman, and banks can go and get F'd as far as I'm concerned.

Simple as ? Banks withdraw sponsorship?

AIG NZ sponsor AB rugby and the group are heavily involved in financial services in W/wide markets and were implicated in the financial crisis......will he cover that sponsor up too?

Play in a Stadium that promotes alcohol and get photographed in play with alcohol purveyor slogan in the background....

Ironic too that NZ is very much a booze society (you have agreed that)

A stance to concientious objection should be entire and not cherry picked to try and take the penny and want part of the bun too?

There are objections too concerning how the news broke ....he started a game with the sponsor tped out on the jersey ...guaranteed to incite investigation and reaction and place bodies on the back foot.

Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:11 am
World XV Player

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ref AIG

note the quote

However, in a statement read on Radio Newstalk ZB, New Zealand Rugby said Williams had "lodged a conscientious objection with New Zealand Rugby in his contract to finance companies, banks, alcohol companies, tobacco companies and gambling companie

http://www.rugby.com.au/news/2017/04/08 ... bill-blues

Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:20 am
World XV Player

Tony Panties wrote:
loosechange wrote:

AIG NZ sponsor AB rugby and the group are heavily involved in financial services in W/wide markets and were implicated in the financial crisis......will he cover that sponsor up too?

Play in a Stadium that promotes alcohol and get photographed in play with alcohol purveyor slogan in the background....

A stance to concientious objection should be entire and not cherry picked to try and take the penny and want part of the bun too?

There are objections too concerning how the news broke ....he started a game with the sponsor tped out on the jersey ...guaranteed to incite investigation and reaction and place bodies on the back foot.

Firstly, my personal opinion on banks has little to do with what's happened here, banks are nothing but leeches that suck money from the bottom up, the world would be a far better place if they were all strapped to a rocket and sent to space.
Regarding SBW, yes, he maybe contradicting things a bit, but tbf, I don't care. All he's done is put some tape over a small sponsor and the rugby world go bonkers. He can do whatever his contract allows, and if it doesn't, he can negotiate. It's not the end of the world, and its most definitely done more good than harm for the bank.

Is it not entirely out of your realm of thinking that he wants to mount a small protest? Westpac stadium, tui beer, he can't get rid of everything, he has to start somewhere and it's bloody good to see a man have some standards. He's a cracking person for kids to look up to with regards to alcohol and treating your body right.

I don't really get the connection between SBW and NZs alcohol problem, then again it's pretty much textbook tel, get a dig in there no matter what.

Haters gonna hate.

Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:39 am
World XV Player

loosechange wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
loosechange wrote:

Firstly, my personal opinion on banks has little to do with what's happened here, banks are nothing but leeches that suck money from the bottom up, the world would be a far better place if they were all strapped to a rocket and sent to space.
Regarding SBW, yes, he maybe contradicting things a bit, but tbf, I don't care. All he's done is put some tape over a small sponsor and the rugby world go bonkers. He can do whatever his contract allows, and if it doesn't, he can negotiate. It's not the end of the world, and its most definitely done more good than harm for the bank.

[quote]

I applaud anybody who acts on conscience.

However this has been managed in a '*dinky doo*-handed' manner and hence the w/wide publicity.

When a Prime Minister enters into the event it's hardly a storm in a local rugby teapot is it?!

Consciencious objection should be based on sound principle .. if he says a formal rejection of 'finance companies' this is directly relevant, for example, to the AB shirt. Should he wear it again he should cover up the AIG to be consistent to his declared principles.

The whole event is an embarrassment and naively treated in my opinion and now unnecessarily in the widespread domain with potentially all sorts of connotations aroused..

So be it.

As to your principle regarding Banks etc that is for you ... I will not make a commennt regarding the 'Black Flag' as that may be misinterpreteed ... ;) :D Please note the smiley.

Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:11 am
World XV Player

I fail to see what he did wrong. I guess I don't really give a shit about high profile sportsmen and women getting dragged through the media, it's almost sad how much you lap up anything in the media and then go looking for people to talk about it with.

I mean seriously, who cares? It's only a big deal because the media know people will lap it up. Code crossing Muslim who broke contracts, it's a media outlets wet dream.

You're banging on about this like it's important. :D

And equally unimportant, who cares what some politician has to say about a pro sports contract. It's laughable you even said that. :D

Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:28 pm
World XV Player

loosechange wrote:
I fail to see what he did wrong. I guess I don't really give a shit about high profile sportsmen and women getting dragged through the media, it's almost sad how much you lap up anything in the media and then go looking for people to talk about it with.

I mean seriously, who cares? It's only a big deal because the media know people will lap it up. Code crossing Muslim who broke contracts, it's a media outlets wet dream.

And equally unimportant, who cares what some politician has to say about a pro sports contract. It's laughable you even said that. :D

Understand that you are playing it down, ... e.g' some politician' being the PM!?

However, I agree that it's been inflated and that it is a media dream ... and that's exactly why I have made emphasis as to how badly it has been managed..(quote : The whole event is an embarrassment and naively treated in my opinion and now unnecessarily in the widespread domain with potentially all sorts of connotations aroused..). think you must have missed that then?

The consequence is also that it will roll on, but I agree with you that we needn't participate further ;)

Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:40 pm
World XV Player

loosechange wrote:

:thumbright:

All SBW is doing is exercising his rights as noted in his contract, shame the anti crowd buy into drama created by the media.

We have immigrants here allowed to carry knives in our courtrooms because of their religious beliefs etc, etc.

BUT shock horror a Kiwi wants act on his contractual rights all hell breaks out.

As you say he is doing the same as MJ did and I admire both of them.

Much ado about nothing.

Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:50 pm
World XV Player

Tony Panties wrote:
loosechange wrote:

Understand that you are playing it down, ... e.g' some politician' being the PM!?

However, I agree that it's been inflated and that it is a media dream ... and that's exactly why I have made emphasis as to how badly it has been managed..(quote : The whole event is an embarrassment and naively treated in my opinion and now unnecessarily in the widespread domain with potentially all sorts of connotations aroused..). think you must have missed that then?

The consequence is also that it will roll on, but I agree with you that we needn't participate further ;)

Of course I'm playing it down, it's not news until sheeple spread it wide with personal opinions that mean sfa, including English. Only idiots care about what English has to say, his comments are in the media because they know some people....cough..... Tel ......cough..... lap their bullshit up. The whole event is an embarrassment!? :D To those idiots that repeat it on social media and websites? To who?
How does that famous quote go....
Nothing brings arseholes together faster than something that is none of their *fupping* business.

Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:24 pm
World XV Player

loosechange wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
loosechange wrote:

Of course I'm playing it down, it's not news until sheeple spread it wide with personal opinions that mean sfa, including English. Only idiots care about what English has to say, his comments are in the media because they know some people....cough..... Tel ......cough..... lap their bullshit up. The whole event is an embarrassment!? :D To those idiots that repeat it on social media and websites? To who?
How does that famous quote go....
Nothing brings arseholes together faster than something that is none of their *fupping* business.

SBW and the general management of the event has made it everybodys business, yes they are arseholes.

end of

Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:02 pm
World XV Player

^^^^^^^^

end of

I totally respect SBW right to act on conscience and I also respect the NZRFU right to nrgotiate that with him and to represent NZ Rugby in so doing.

, in a statement read on Radio Newstalk ZB, New Zealand Rugby said Williams had "lodged a conscientious objection with New Zealand Rugby in his contract to finance companies, banks, alcohol companies, tobacco companies and gambling companie

http://www.rugby.com.au/news/2017/04/08 ... bill-blues[/quote]

AIG is a huge financial company (consider terms of reference of the Corporation). and was, for example, much in play in the financial crisis (on record)

I trust that if SBW represents ABs again then he will not play with the AIG sponsor displayed on his shirt and in so doing will maintain his stated concientious stance.

Loosie I dont want to make this personal and I have sidestepped your jibes.

My position is outlined above and is a fair one.

Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:38 pm
World XV Player

:D Who cares? Aside from you of course.

If the guy wants to make a small protest then good for him. If he is allowed to do it, then my quote about arseholes is bang on. You obviously feel the need to make a huge deal of this, it says more about you then SBW. Him and his management have done things by the book as far as I'm aware, only precious people with nothing better to do then lick media boots have an issue here. How on earth have you come to the conclusion that SBW and his management are arseholes!? It's bizarre, and pretty much shows exactly how much you've lapped up this story. :D

I'm as anti religion as the next sane person but it's all personal choice so I don't give a shit. Tobacco used to sponsor sports in NZ, took time to kick them out, fingers crossed we can do the same with the banks, though I doubt it.

Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:02 pm