It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:38 pm

Sanzar needs to check their Refs understand English 
World XV Player

Post Sanzar needs to check their Refs understand English
There was a comical situation late in the Sunwolves v Stormers game when the Cape side’s centre EW Viljoen seemingly scored a spectacular try after collecting a chip-kick behind the Sunwolves defence.
Argentine referee Federico Anselmi went upstairs to Japanese television match official Minoru Fuji to check whether Viljoen was offside when he collected Robert du Preez’s chip-kick.
On replays, it was touch and go, but Viljoen seemed on-side and he had also legitimately grounded the ball.
The TMO told the referee “no clear evidence of offside, you may award the try".
Anselmi, whose first language in Spanish, misunderstood Fuji and when he heard “no” he thought it was "no try" and promptly disallowed the score.
Luckily for the Stormers, it had no influence on the result and they scored soon afterwards, but this is an issue SANZAAR needs to take note of - you don’t want a similar scenario in a knockout match!
The TMO also needs to be taken to task for not again communicating with the referee after he saw what transpired.

... for some the Rule book is in braile aswell

Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:45 am
World XV Player

Post Re: Sanzar needs to check their Refs understand English
We have worse that that in Wales, Bok.

One double double negative chat between the best referee in the world and a man who was once regarded as the best in his time is comedy silver ...

Age gets you in the end ...

Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:04 am
World XV Player

Post Re: Sanzar needs to check their Refs understand English
Bokbefok wrote:
There was a comical situation late in the Sunwolves v Stormers game when the Cape side’s centre EW Viljoen seemingly scored a spectacular try after collecting a chip-kick behind the Sunwolves defence.
Argentine referee Federico Anselmi went upstairs to Japanese television match official Minoru Fuji to check whether Viljoen was offside when he collected Robert du Preez’s chip-kick.
On replays, it was touch and go, but Viljoen seemed on-side and he had also legitimately grounded the ball.
The TMO told the referee “no clear evidence of offside, you may award the try".
Anselmi, whose first language in Spanish, misunderstood Fuji and when he heard “no” he thought it was "no try" and promptly disallowed the score.
Luckily for the Stormers, it had no influence on the result and they scored soon afterwards, but this is an issue SANZAAR needs to take note of - you don’t want a similar scenario in a knockout match!
The TMO also needs to be taken to task for not again communicating with the referee after he saw what transpired.

... for some the Rule book is in braile aswell

I thought he was miles offside when I saw the replay, and I think the ref thought the same and expected the tmo to say no try. It was extremely poor but I think the ref has the power to disallow a try after watching the video so he would've said no try anyway, though I could be wrong on how it all works as it seems to change all the time.
I laughed my arse off while watching it. :D

And PLEASE don't try to shove it down my child's throat.

Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:41 pm