It is currently Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:02 pm

Our weakest link, centre pairing for lions 
World XV Player

Post Our weakest link, centre pairing for lions
I may be overstating but
So far ALB AND Crotty look ok
Reiko looks good at times
The Hurrices combo also looking great, under the radar in some ways
Fekitoa looking OK, better than last year, but just.
Tamanivalu looked like he needed to be centre for the Saders, more room there wen he was offloading in 2nd half of Highlander's game.

SBW, may have a bit to do with final selections

Scuse my English/spelling/gramma and foul language

Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:29 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Post Re: Our weakest link, centre pairing for lions
Mate I'm not sure what you were watching last year but ALB was sensational. That was one of the best AB debut years we've seen in a long time. The kid is 21yo and was playing like a seasoned pro - bugger all mistakes and tons of try creating runs and offloads. No one plays that well at centre that young. All our great centres have been in their late 20's at least. I reckon ALB has the makings of an all time great if he keeps on this path.

How he's suddenly dropped down to just "ok" and the Canes centres are "great" on the back of beating the Sunwolves and Rebels boggles me.

We have new centres but not weak centres. I'm picking it to be a combination of SBW/ALB/Crotty - With some Rieko off the bench. I'm not a big Crotty fan but I have to admit he was good last year.

They'll pair up the new boys with Crotty and SBW and that will work great

Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:40 pm
World XV Player

Yep, prob a bit hard on alb, he does look best atm. He does play 2nd five and centre?
Agree with other two as well, I am hoping another steps up too this year. I do like the look of the hurricanes pair, it that's just all hunches until the really get consistency. Just seems weird after last few pairings have. Even greats really, with shit loads of experience. Smith Nonu Umaga, Mauger

Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:25 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

ALB is a shoe in, if he plays the same as last season and continues that, the selectors will be looking for his partner. SBW and Crotty are there. Reiko will probably get a shot at some stage, I think he might play on the wing before he plays in the centers. Fekitoa is gone burger imo. They'll look for a newbie to groom.

It's only early days but we are pretty stacked in most positions right now, that'll change with form and injuries though.

Who's our starting 9 right now?

And PLEASE don't try to shove it down my child's throat.

Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:30 am
World XV Player

9 is a bitch fight.

TJP and Aaron - one of them has to start, but (yeah I'm a Chiefs fan) I really like TKB off the bench too as he's more of as Joost type 9 and offers a difference from those other two.

Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:41 am
World XV Player

TJP for me, Smith 2, but has that real fast twitch to off load, I was a Pulu fan till last week when TKB may have owned him.

Squire and the big Hurricanes 6 are really going for it this year, this is great to see, esp for post Kaino.
I like these two behind Kaino at 6. Luatua, gone and also seems to be off the pace in comparison. Elliott Dixon doesnt seem as good imo as Squire and Shields.

Locks seems to be the 2 incombents of course and possibly Tuipulotu, then I think it will be between, Barrett, Bird and Romano, (if thats not stating the obvious).

I style have good memories of the Ginger Highlander was it James Ryan in the last Lions tour at lock, young and athletic as (then retired). Possibly Barrett will fill this role, as the blooding in newby, cemented.
We have some good depth atm at lock. (but please dont get injured incumbents). I wish Retallic would slow the *fupp* down sometimes lol, in super games

Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:13 am
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

Hey guys - and girls...

I like ALB - agree with 4MY, he's got intelligence in his game.
They way he entered the test arena last year and showed composure, patience and an ability to find space for his wingers was awesome.
Having centres with brains has been a feature of AB's backlines - Moala, Ranger, Fekitoa, Tamanivalu and even Ioane at this young stage have all the physical attributes
but i think ALB and Crotty are still a way ahead.

I would love to see my cuzzie Charlie Ngatai back this year though ....

On another note... Aaron Cruden is the goods. Hard having two world class 10's and a competition that can't afford to keep them both here.... #SmallCountryProblems

Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:02 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Ngatai missing is the biggest shame. The guy's got it all.

Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:07 am
World XV Player

Yep think ALB has secured one spot..
Crotty will be in the squad
The English 2nd five (or centre) looks the goods
I wonder if Ioane has blown his chances with a under preforming Blues..

Yea gees Cruden, still right up there

Ngatai wont be back this year?

Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:45 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

I reckon Charlie is gone mate. Real shame.

Yeah Cruden is playing awesome atm.

I reckon there's real competition for starting spots everywhere atm. There's a few lock-ins, but genuine pressure in many areas.

Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:56 am