It is currently Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:19 am

Fijian franchise well advanced 
World XV Player

Post Re: Fijian franchise well advanced
It'd just fall on deaf ears. People don't want to believe that.

Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:38 pm
World XV Player

Justic wrote:
Shall we educate some of our NH bros and tell them that a lot of Samoans, Tongans etc born in NZ are second generation Kiwi's.

That's precisely why I went back to the 1980s.

:D

Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:56 pm
World XV Player

Four More Years wrote:
Ah that old chestnut:

Quote:
About 19 percent of the world's professional rugby players are originally from the Pacific Islands but many represent world champions New Zealand, Australia, France and England after qualifying under residency rules.

99.9% of New Zealand's players are originally from the Pacific Islands - we are a Pacific Island. It looks like that old story that NZ poaches from the islands rather than the other way around still holds up north. I guess stats, records, birth certificates, y'know...proof, just doesn't matter when you've got anecdotes. Look at the Samoan and Tongan rugby teams at the last 2 RWCs, look how many players were born in NZ.

I hope the residency and eligibility rules get tightened up so damn much. Forget this grandparents bullshit, forget the parents bullshit. Make residency 10 years.

Goes both ways we've had our fair share?

Scuse my English/spelling/gramma and foul language

Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:25 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Bouch wrote:
String wrote:
Four More Years wrote:
I hope the residency and eligibility rules get tightened up so damn much. Forget this grandparents bullshit, forget the parents bullshit. Make residency 10 years.

That I can agree with. You're born there, you represent them. Not just in Rugby.

Service families and diplomats and all sorts of technical experts travel all over the world.

Your argument is based on a myth - not all families stay in the same country all their lives.

As for residency rules, 3 years is about right.

Yep but almost all the pasifika and kiwi players in Nh are rugby imports? I spoke the Tongan boys in wales and England could slip under that, but dads were there as rugby players nothing else

Scuse my English/spelling/gramma and foul language

Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:29 pm
Profile E-mail
International Player

Forrealz wrote:
Bouch wrote:
String wrote:
Four More Years wrote:

That I can agree with. You're born there, you represent them. Not just in Rugby.

Service families and diplomats and all sorts of technical experts travel all over the world.

Your argument is based on a myth - not all families stay in the same country all their lives.

As for residency rules, 3 years is about right.

Yep but almost all the pasifika and kiwi players in Nh are rugby imports? I spoke the Tongan boys in wales and England could slip under that, but dads were there as rugby players nothing else

Correct - Faletau and the Vunipola brothers moved to Wales (and later England in the Vunipolas' case) as children, but the likes of Nathan Hughes, Semesa Rokoduguni, Manu Tuilagi etc. qualify purely because they spent three years in an English rugby club and nothing else.

Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:30 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Forrealz wrote:
Four More Years wrote:
Ah that old chestnut:

Quote:
About 19 percent of the world's professional rugby players are originally from the Pacific Islands but many represent world champions New Zealand, Australia, France and England after qualifying under residency rules.

99.9% of New Zealand's players are originally from the Pacific Islands - we are a Pacific Island. It looks like that old story that NZ poaches from the islands rather than the other way around still holds up north. I guess stats, records, birth certificates, y'know...proof, just doesn't matter when you've got anecdotes. Look at the Samoan and Tongan rugby teams at the last 2 RWCs, look how many players were born in NZ.

Goes both ways we've had our fair share?

Man the numbers just don't support that. We've had 28 in over 100 years, and most of those came to NZ under 10 years old.

I have no problem with island players going back to play for the birth place of their parents, but let's not revise history and say this this is an even up. The islands have taken a hell of a lot more in the past 10 years from NZ rugby than we've taken from island rugby in the past 100 years.

Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:56 am