It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:40 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Fijian franchise well advanced 
Author Message
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:37 pm
Posts: 9943
Post Fijian franchise well advanced
Hope it comes to fruition ...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/reuter ... eport.html

_________________
ImageEasy to consider past and present, it's the future and associated plan and strategy to achieve that takes the talent ..


Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:33 am
Profile
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:41 am
Posts: 9913
Post Re: Fijian franchise well advanced
Ah that old chestnut:

Quote:
About 19 percent of the world's professional rugby players are originally from the Pacific Islands but many represent world champions New Zealand, Australia, France and England after qualifying under residency rules.


99.9% of New Zealand's players are originally from the Pacific Islands - we are a Pacific Island. It looks like that old story that NZ poaches from the islands rather than the other way around still holds up north. I guess stats, records, birth certificates, y'know...proof, just doesn't matter when you've got anecdotes. Look at the Samoan and Tongan rugby teams at the last 2 RWCs, look how many players were born in NZ.

I hope the residency and eligibility rules get tightened up so damn much. Forget this grandparents bullshit, forget the parents bullshit. Make residency 10 years.


Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:43 pm
Profile
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:24 pm
Posts: 43769
Location: Llanharan
Post Re: Fijian franchise well advanced
Four More Years wrote:

I hope the residency and eligibility rules get tightened up so damn much.

Forget this grandparents bullshit, forget the parents bullshit. Make residency 10 years.


Your altruism is in marked contrast to the early days of players' migration to New Zealand, say from 1980 or so.

Have you held these beliefs long term or has it just emerged following England and Ireland starting world wide sweeps for potential players?

Ireland's sweep seems to have been mildly successful but all success is short term for the lesser rugby nations who haven't won many consecutive world cups.


Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:12 am
Profile
World XV Player

Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:35 am
Posts: 8576
Post Re: Fijian franchise well advanced
Tony Panties wrote:


:sleepy2: :bs: l


Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:14 am
Profile
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:41 am
Posts: 9913
Post Re: Fijian franchise well advanced
Bouch wrote:
Four More Years wrote:

I hope the residency and eligibility rules get tightened up so damn much.

Forget this grandparents bullshit, forget the parents bullshit. Make residency 10 years.


Your altruism is in marked contrast to the early days of players' migration to New Zealand, say from 1980 or so.

Have you held these beliefs long term or has it just emerged following England and Ireland starting world wide sweeps for potential players?

Ireland's sweep seems to have been mildly successful but all success is short term for the lesser rugby nations who haven't won many consecutive world cups.


Nothing has changed for me, because i understand maths, stats, and facts.

In the 100+ year history of the All Blacks, and with over 1150 people wearing the black jersey, 28 have been Pacific Island born. Of those if we applied my rule the All Blacks would only lose 10 as the rest arrived in NZ so young the 10 year residency rule would be fine.

Contrast this with the last two RWCs where NZ supplied 50 NZ born players to the Island teams. These players were born, schooled, trained, and most play in NZ.

50 fully trained players over merely 8 years.
vs
18 players over 124 years.

Who is doing the poaching?

Up the residency, remove the grandparent rule, remove the parent rule. You play for the country you were born in, or you wait 10 years to do it. Let's see what countries that hurts, it wont be (and never would've been) us.


Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:06 am
Profile
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:24 pm
Posts: 43769
Location: Llanharan
Post Re: Fijian franchise well advanced
Stats have been misused for the last few decades.

Personally, I couldn't care less about stats prior to 1980 or so because Welsh migrants were counted as English for a large part of the previous hundred years, I understand.

Any system that does that isn't dependable.

:D


Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:02 am
Profile
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:41 am
Posts: 9913
Post Re: Fijian franchise well advanced
If we did the NZ island imports vs island exports since 1980 it would look absolutely shocking for the islands. There's been 50 over 8 years, it'd be hideous over 36 years.

The fact is bugger all actual rugby players have arrived in NZ ready to hit the ABs, whereas 99% of the players that leave NZ and go back to play for the islands are born, schooled. and trained in NZ - they go back directly into the national teams.

But I guess that just doesn't fit the narrative.


Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:46 pm
Profile
World XV Player

Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:02 am
Posts: 8657
Post Re: Fijian franchise well advanced
Quote:
Make residency 10 years.
Never happen

The NH playing group will not agree to it.


Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:40 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:41 am
Posts: 9913
Post Re: Fijian franchise well advanced
For sure Goann, Wales would lose all their players (back to England and the Islands), England would lose their imports, France well lol.

I just used that as an example, it gets a bit annoying that people still hold this belief, and Ryan here is towing the party line again. My example would show that should eligibility be tightened it'd be FAR better for NZ than any other country because we are the primary exporters.

For what it's worth I have no issue with a player born, raised, and trained here deciding to go back and play for an island nation. No dramas, UNTIL people start bitching about the supposed poaching and pillaging of the islands, and in particular coaches and people in rugby positions. History and reality doesn't support their fairytales.


Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:41 pm
Profile
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 09, 2007 12:34 am
Posts: 14960
Location: Japan
Post Re: Fijian franchise well advanced
Maybe we should just field a team of white players to not offend some people in the NH? Some of the meat eaters will want in on that action! :D

NZ is a PI FFS. A fair majority of people get it, but it's the few who refuse to listen to facts.

Ryan is pissed because they missed out on the awards. Personally I think 7's is a different sport and shouldn't be included anyway.

_________________
Religion is like a penis.
It's fine to have one, and fine to be proud of it.
But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around,
And PLEASE don't try to shove it down my child's throat.


Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:28 am
Profile
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2004 4:54 pm
Posts: 22533
Location: Cayman Islands
Post Re: Fijian franchise well advanced
Four More Years wrote:
I hope the residency and eligibility rules get tightened up so damn much. Forget this grandparents bullshit, forget the parents bullshit. Make residency 10 years.


That i can agree with. You're born there, you represent them. Not just in Rugby.

_________________
'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so *fupping* what?' —Stephen Fry

"You like PhillBB demand facts for debate........My premise needs no facts to debate it" - Rosario on "how to look like an idiot"

http://www.flickr.com/photos/whitcomberd/


Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:47 am
Profile WWW
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:24 pm
Posts: 43769
Location: Llanharan
Post Re: Fijian franchise well advanced
String wrote:
Four More Years wrote:
I hope the residency and eligibility rules get tightened up so damn much. Forget this grandparents bullshit, forget the parents bullshit. Make residency 10 years.


That I can agree with. You're born there, you represent them. Not just in Rugby.


Service families and diplomats and all sorts of technical experts travel all over the world.

Your argument is based on a myth - not all families stay in the same country all their lives.

As for residency rules, 3 years is about right.


Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:04 am
Profile
Club Player
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:25 pm
Posts: 255
Post Re: Fijian franchise well advanced
Four More Years wrote:
For sure Goann, Wales would lose all their players (back to England and the Islands).


Who is there in the current Wales squad that is qualified on Residency alone? Off the top of my head I think it's

Jake Ball
Faletau
(Possibly) Hallam Amos

Don't know how long Ball has been in Wales but Amos and Faletau have been here well over 10 years so would still be able to play.

Cuthbert, Anscombe, Francis etc. are all eligible through grand/parents. The other English-born players like North, Lydiate etc. would qualify on 10+ years residency and/or parents.

I've probably missed someone but I don't think it would be a massive disaster for Wales. Far, far worse for Scotland of course.


Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:23 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:41 am
Posts: 9913
Post Re: Fijian franchise well advanced
I figured saying "all their players" would make it an obvious pisstake.

Must remember to be even more obvious in future.


Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:46 pm
Profile
World XV Player

Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:35 am
Posts: 8576
Post Re: Fijian franchise well advanced
Shall we educate some of our NH bros and tell them that a lot of Samoans, Tongans etc born in NZ are second generation Kiwi's.


Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:23 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: