It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 12:30 am

Fra compared to NZ, etc ...physical prep, skills . 
World XV Player

Post Re: Fra compared to NZ, etc ...physical prep, skills .
Thegrimriper wrote:
Not to try to oversimplify the above, I get the impression that NZ treats rugby as a sport and have developed the science to improve and evolve the game for both the player and the fan. Whereas the NH have gone down the business route in general, forgetting that rugby is a sport for those who play and watch.

Exactly, so a business only worries about their end product. It can be imported. If someone else is producing a consistent quality product and you can afford it, you need not produce it. If you invest in "the game" your return is difficult to quantify, so you buy off the shelf.

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:43 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Blindside wrote:
Thegrimriper wrote:
Not to try to oversimplify the above, I get the impression that NZ treats rugby as a sport and have developed the science to improve and evolve the game for both the player and the fan. Whereas the NH have gone down the business route in general, forgetting that rugby is a sport for those who play and watch.

Exactly, so a business only worries about their end product. It can be imported. If someone else is producing a consistent quality product and you can afford it, you need not produce it. If you invest in "the game" your return is difficult to quantify, so you buy off the shelf.

You forgot price, performance, profit, competitiveness and responsibility to shareholders short and long term.

Imo, that's why Pro Rugby is light years from being a Business ;)

Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:25 pm
World XV Player

Tony Panties wrote:
Blindside wrote:
Thegrimriper wrote:

You forgot price, performance, profit, competitiveness and responsibility to shareholders short and long term.

That’s exactly why it’s a business.

And PLEASE don't try to shove it down my child's throat.

Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:13 pm
World XV Player

loosechange wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
Blindside wrote:
Thegrimriper wrote:

:scratch:

Purports to be maybe, but that's about as far as Pro Rugby gets at the mo?

Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:19 pm
World XV Player

Tony Panties wrote:
loosechange wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
Blindside wrote:
Thegrimriper wrote:

I guess we see this very differently. I see almost all pro sport as business in one way or another. Once money comes into play almost everything else is secondary, or at least that’s what I thought BS was getting at. The NZRFU would be mad to not look at as a business, the difference is they think the whole pyramid needs attention, not just the tip.

Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:13 am
World XV Player

loosechange wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
loosechange wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
Blindside wrote:
Thegrimriper wrote:

I guess we see this very differently. I see almost all pro sport as business in one way or another. Once money comes into play almost everything else is secondary, or at least that’s what I thought BS was getting at. The NZRFU would be mad to not look at as a business, the difference is they think the whole pyramid needs attention, not just the tip.

Think there's a misunderstanding?

Of course they consider the business, they have to...financial reporting obligations etc

My point was that very few actually conduct business-like operations.

An example, some financial reports and Union/League/Club relationships suggest suspect audit and control activities ... otherwise there wouldn't be so many surprises etc.

Bottom line performance wouldn't satisfy ongoing viable business activities etc

I've studied this subject for some time and across a broad scope and it is my opinion.

PS I do understand the formative aspects of Rugby entry into the Pro environment and I do respect the lesser intention of profit but to suggest Pro Rugby is businesslike at the mo is some stretch of the imagination.

Another prime example is the hierarchical relationship of World Rugby and the significant contention the exists. Any comparison to a Corporation of a Multi National enterprise would be a joke.

On another business aspect, Human Relations, I think rugby has a long way to go with regard to players participation and Player Welfare aspects.

One can't ignore and use the excuse of 'size' of the business either because looked at W/Wide and events like the World Cup it certainly is big business.

Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:59 am
World XV Player

loosechange wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
loosechange wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
Blindside wrote:
Thegrimriper wrote:

They do see it as a business LC but they work very had to have a balanced approach.

My involvement with NZRU began in 2003 and since then psychological quirks here and there have gradually intensified and is now second nature for players.

Who would have ever thought AB training and game prep would include green tea and meditation. :D

Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:11 am
World XV Player

No shit!? That’s very interesting. :thumbright:

Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:39 pm
World XV Player

loosechange wrote:
No shit!? That’s very interesting. :thumbright:

..and very constructive and smart, that's why they are number one :thumbup:

Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:23 am
World XV Player

Here is an article a couple of months back looking at the problems of French rugby. Some of the problems highlighted are specific to France, others are more NH-wide: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union ... oach-club/

Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:40 pm
Profile E-mail