It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 12:31 am

France reach all-time low of 10th in the World Rankings 
World XV Player

Post Re: France reach all-time low of 10th in the World Rankings
Tony Panties wrote:
loosechange wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
loosechange wrote:
It’s not sad in my eyes, you reap what you sow. What’s interesting is the poms are the complete opposite, yet are pretty much on a par (it seems) when it comes to the clubs running the game. :dontknow:

There are differences:

30 Pro Clubs in France and bigger following in total at that level.

Significantly more foreigners in french Pro game :(

RFU much richer than FFR (FFR do not have their own Stadium)

More money and influence in the french Club game

France more attractive for S Hemp migrants? :D

I think most kiwis appreciate that the frogs, poms and Japanese reward our older players by offering contracts etc, but that’s pretty much where it ends with the poms and frogs imho. I have always felt, and still do, that these two countries clubs don’t care at all about the international game, only for themselves and the board members. It could even be said that they don’t care about the players as well.

Regarding the RFU and FFR, does it even matter who has the most money? Because afaics, they are not in total control of the game in their respective countries, the money is in the club game I thought.

Is it true that the French clubs want rugby to go the same way as football? With the club comps ruling everything except for the WC?

It does matter that the RFU are considerably more rich than the FFR because they are more able to promote their game at International level and in general.

The differential between Union and Club organisations is also important in terms of clout.

The real formative aspect is the EPCR because that is a case where the Clubs largely dominate in formal governance (although there are instances eg France where the Federation has ultimate legal clout). It is also a major fulcrum to promote Club level world wide and this is where the ultimate pressure will come from and the SA entry in Pro14 is important should they be included in the EPCR governance which I believe to be the longer term plan.

Loosie, I have described this in this way to try and describe how 'Club' rugby may promote and achieve it's end game. It's a planned evolution and it has started. There will inevitably be ways where the Union will resist, e.g it has already been suggested that that FFR might try and achieve 'Province/Regional ' representation at Euro level etc ...

I have studied this subject for a long time and the evolution/transition has been formative.

Other interesting aspect involve e.g how very big business is incorporating Rugby more formally into their business strategies. Racing/Real Estate and Bordeaux and Racing wine promotion projects are examples whilst Toulon exhibit how partnership with Local Govt can profit both.

Imo the Pro Rugby loss syndrome may well be turning.

Loosie, I have try and describe how the game is panning out and how just a 'going footy way ' is a false description. Closer to you I think that Japan W Cup will also be a game changer ...I know that the previously mentioned french club Presidents wine interests have already been actively involved in targeting their business interests there.

Finally, we now have extremely able Presidents of extremely profitable organisations are active and Union representation is no competition for them as far as business acumen is concerned.

Hope this helps :scratch:

PS People assume that I support the Club evolution, maybe they are wrong ;) I study it and I report accordingly ;) I am also interested and active on the total Pro Rugby front and not just of that in France.

PPS I don't see any W Rugby or Union people that inspire confidence other than W Rugby VP Pichot who, I believe, is good value and somewhat ahead of the game, whilst Billy Beaumont and his Badges reign the Unions are in a backward position.

I told you and the hordes that used to come over from Gwlad just to take me on of the pitfalls of putting club before country, rugby is a top down game, no one would listen and now France are down to tenth in the rankings which with their population and resources is disgraceful and the jok*ing regions ridiculously underperforming over here.

Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:14 am
World XV Player

trampie wrote:
the hordes who come over from Gwlad just to take me on of the pitfalls of putting club before country, rugby is a top down game, no one would listen and now France are down to tenth in the rankings which with their population and resources is disgraceful and the jok*ing regions ridiculously underperforming over here.

Who are these hordes Trampie and who is Atilla ?

Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:26 am
World XV Player

Tony Panties wrote:
trampie wrote:
the hordes who come over from Gwlad just to take me on of the pitfalls of putting club before country, rugby is a top down game, no one would listen and now France are down to tenth in the rankings which with their population and resources is disgraceful and the jok*ing regions ridiculously underperforming over here.

also Rugby at grass roots and in theoverall hierarchy is fundamental to the Sport and shouldn't be downrated?

It is abused at some levels and this has been noted, but one should also respect that a lot of it is public preferred and driven ;)

Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:04 pm
World XV Player

Tony Panties wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
trampie wrote:

also Rugby at grass roots and in theoverall hierarchy is fundamental to the Sport and shouldn't be downrated?

It is abused at some levels and this has been noted, but one should also respect that a lot of it is public preferred and driven ;)

BB and his cronies, once I exposed him not long after that he was gone.

Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:26 pm
World XV Player

An article I found from a couple of months back looking at the problems of French rugby: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union ... oach-club/

Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:46 pm
Profile E-mail