It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:50 am

General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) a farce? 
World XV Player

Post General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) a farce?
This new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on line process and legislated multiple requests to the public to agree and the on line facilities committed to respect individual preferences is a bit of a farce??

An example, …my wife uses Yahoo and everytime she starts to use it she gets this….

There seems to be no way one can circumvent ‘Oath’, when one choses to try and tailor the access ('manage options' feature) there’s a huge list of providers, societies etc that can only be actioned one by one hence really making the whole process negated!?

Other sites operate similarly … ie apparently obeying the new legislation by offering choice and then making it bloody unmanageable … so bugger all changes and they continue to sell and provides addresses and access? The intention of the legislation effectively nullified?

Am I missing something or is this a common experience??

Thks

Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:32 am
World XV Player

Post Re: General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) a farce?
Just had another one with the options 'agree' or 'close' :D

Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:42 am
Regional Player

The majority of the protections GDPR grants were already in place under older legislation; the most obvious change is that organisations are required to make you explicitly agree to the way they operate (hence all these popups). Ultimately if they want to use your data, there's no reason they can't insist on that as a condition of you using their services (and, frankly, why shouldn't they? You don't "have" to use facebook etc. and if it's a part of their business plan to use that data in particular ways it's not unreasonable for them to insist on your complicity rather than letting users have their cake and eat it). By clicking "agree" you will effectively be letting them carry on doing what they've probably been doing all along anyway.

Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:11 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Figaro wrote:
The majority of the protections GDPR grants were already in place under older legislation; the most obvious change is that organisations are required to make you explicitly agree to the way they operate (hence all these popups). Ultimately if they want to use your data, there's no reason they can't insist on that as a condition of you using their services (and, frankly, why shouldn't they? You don't "have" to use facebook etc. and if it's a part of their business plan to use that data in particular ways it's not unreasonable for them to insist on your complicity rather than letting users have their cake and eat it). By clicking "agree" you will effectively be letting them carry on doing what they've probably been doing all along anyway.

That is my point ... the 'exercise' pretends to be selective but, in reality, the smoke goes up the chimney just the same. Expense and effort involved is just peeing in the wind and frustrating.
Why, for example, repetitive requests in instances where one does accept?

Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:03 pm
World XV Player

There are a few of those, if you choose to customise instead of accept all it just refuses to load the page and keeps taking you back to the selection page.

The best option still seems to be Adblock Plus or similar to strip all that crap in real time.

'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so *fupping* what?' —Stephen Fry

"You like PhillBB demand facts for debate........My premise needs no facts to debate it" - Rosario on "how to look like an idiot"

http://www.flickr.com/photos/whitcomberd/

Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:43 am
Profile WWW
World XV Player

If you don't accept the terms then go elsewhere. If you don't believe in the inherent goodness of European Law then be a Luddite. If like the average xenophobic Brexiteer you want to save your privacy then do as daft as they did and chose against your own best interests and end up with the exact opposite.

GDPR is not a farce it is a European Led Revolution in the protection of its citizens on line ... only a monarchist with syphilis would refuse to sign up to it.

Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:16 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

LLanrumneyOik wrote:
If you don't accept the terms then go elsewhere. If you don't believe in the inherent goodness of European Law then be a Luddite. If like the average xenophobic Brexiteer you want to save your privacy then do as daft as they did and chose against your own best interests and end up with the exact opposite.

GDPR is not a farce it is a European Led Revolution in the protection of its citizens on line ... only a monarchist with syphilis would refuse to sign up to it.

It isn't the intention or the principle Stali, it's the application ....which really amounts to impotence, read the above.

Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:27 pm
World XV Player

Tony Panties wrote:
LLanrumneyOik wrote:

It isn't the intention or the principle Stali, it's the application ....which really amounts to impotence, read the above.

You know I don't understand your direction ... I just threw my three peneth in for what good it did :cherry: me

Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:46 pm
Profile E-mail