It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:35 pm

Laptop advice 
World XV Player

Post Laptop advice
Not very knowledgable with tech stuff and looking for a new work laptop, will mainly be using Visio, Word, Excel etc and storing a lot of pictures.

What sort of GB or mega bite or what ever is best? (I seriously know nothing about memory etc)

Also been looking at one of those tablets come laptop things as the tablet part will be handy for when I'm on the move/on site etc.

The reason I've not gone to currys/PC world is I've just found a laptop bargain shop on eBay and they seem to be selling laptops/tablets for knockdown prices and seem legit as you can collect your item from Argos???

Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:09 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Post Re: Laptop advice
You going to be working it hard? Multi tasking?

Just work or will it be used as a multimedia machine?

Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:14 am
World XV Player

CarmarthenLad wrote:

Thanks for the reply CL and Probably just work

I have a personnel lap top and work one but the work one is on it's way out. Will mostly be using it for Visio pro, Word, Excel and storing pictures?

Are those tablet/laptops any good CL? They look like the type of thing that could be really usefull but I've heard they're more for home type computers and not best for office work??

Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:35 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Prys#1 wrote:
CarmarthenLad wrote:

Thanks for the reply CL and Probably just work

I have a personnel lap top and work one but the work one is on it's way out. Will mostly be using it for Visio pro, Word, Excel and storing pictures?

Are those tablet/laptops any good CL? They look like the type of thing that could be really usefull but I've heard they're more for home type computers and not best for office work??

The best of the tablet/laptops is the Microsoft Surface Pro range, but I have my doubts about their suitability for a busy work environment.

I would go the laptop route, and would be looking to get a machine with an Intel i5 or i7 processor, with at least 4gb of RAM (no more than 8 ). I would go with the latest Intel processors because they run quite cool, and heat build up tends to be what kills laptops eventually in my experience.

If you are storing lots of photos you want 500gb hard drive or larger but dont let hard disk size be a deal breaker (storage devices are now incredibly cheap,you can buy 2 terabytes of external storage for £40 these days) and a 1080p capable HD screen . After that it really depends on budget as to where you go. I think the ebay store you mention is Argos's refurb. resales. I always buy refurb laptops, it is a considerable saving, and it has never caused me a problem.

Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:27 am
World XV Player

In my experience using Mcsft Office precludes using the likes of ipad tablets etc ...
I've tried ipad mcsft office and it is, imo, very insecure and difficult to manipulate.

CL mentions i5 or i7 ... I would say i7 is pretty powerful and may well be excessive for your types of processing.

Regarding Ebay 'bargains' etc I would beware especially any follow up, I always regard easy access to vendor as a priority.

I have a Dell and a Sony Vaio and I am about to change..

Dell seems to be uniterested in single purchasers these days.
Sony now withdrawn to a large extent.

I've considered the market and opinions of people I respect and Lenovo seems to be amongst the top of the tree. I will be buying a Lenovo but Windows version is an issue I'm still considering.

Finally, ... Windows 8 has been a dog and Windows 10 in its very early phase ....

Many are staying on W 7

Size/weight is directly dependent on your profile.

Just some points at random .. hope they help, .. best of luck!

Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:00 pm
World XV Player

Leaving aside the spec of the lap top, you say storing pics. Unless you want constant access to them you are better off storing them off the machine.
You can use a so-called thumb drive or stick if you only use a few hundred of the latest, and long term back up on an external drive.

You can get e 1TB from amazon for £43, and if anything happens to your laptop they are still safe at home.
Keep a zip version of them on the laptop incase you need them, and also incase something happens to your drive at home.

Dont base buying a laptop on just storage.

it is also better if you can walk into the shop you had it from if you get a problem

Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:38 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Cheers :thumbright:

Loads of info to think over and I think I'll give the tablet/laptops a miss as I've heard a few people saying they're more for home/personnel use as you say CL.

Might take a trip to PC world and see what they've got then look at the eBay site to see if I can get something a little cheaper.

What are the apple laptops like? Other than being expensive are they any good and can you run Microsoft products on them??

Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:28 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Prys#1 wrote:
Cheers :thumbright:

Loads of info to think over and I think I'll give the tablet/laptops a miss as I've heard a few people saying they're more for home/personnel use as you say CL.

Might take a trip to PC world and see what they've got then look at the eBay site to see if I can get something a little cheaper.

What are the apple laptops like? Other than being expensive are they any good and can you run Microsoft products on them??

Apple laptops are not that expensive when you compare like for like with middle/top of the range laptops. That impression comes from the fact that they don't produce a cheaper range of models. They can be made to run almost anything, but there really is no surprise that nearly 90% of the world's businesses run on Microsoft!

PC World run their own refurbs business as well - I bought my current laptop on there - a real bargain. Acer with 1080p HD screen, 6Gb RAM, i5 2.6Ghz processor, 500Gb hard drive, 720p cam, and all for under £400! It's been running night and day for nearly 4 years (sometimes going 2 or 3 weeks without being turned off!) and hasn't skipped a beat. It was in the refurb. pile because the retail packaging had been crushed in transit to a store, so it came in a plain box.

It is beginning to run a bit hot now so I suspect it is coming to the end of its life, but I will keep it running to the end!

Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:15 pm
World XV Player

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/st/refur ... i5-laptops

Laptops direct (above) are doing an A1 class refurbed Lenovo Z50-70 with i5 1.7GHz processor with 8Gb of Ram, a 1Tb Hard disk, HD screen and cam, WiFi and Bluetooth connectivity. It has Windows 8.1, but a free Win10 upgrade is available to all windows users.

Yours for a mere £399........ bargain.

Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:23 pm