It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:50 pm

Windows 8 
World XV Player

Post Windows 8
If you are running Windows 8 on any machine, make sure you have applied "update 1" in the next few days.

Microsoft are stopping the development of security patches for any version of Windows 8 below "8.1 Update 1" in 4 weeks time.

“Windows 8.1 Update is a cumulative update to Windows 8.1,” said Microsoft Senior Product Marketing Manager Ben Hunter in an apparently innocuous blog post aimed at IT professionals. Then came the clanger: “It also becomes the new servicing baseline for Windows 8.1, so next month’s security updates (on May 13th, the next ‘Patch Tuesday’) will be dependent on Windows 8.1 Update.”

Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:06 pm
World XV Player

Post Re: Windows 8
how do I know if I'm on 8.1?

Can we have a travel ban on Americans until the government can work out what the hell is happening

Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:09 pm
World XV Player

8 windows is quite a lot for your average house :!:

Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:50 pm
World XV Player

Fids the Blindside wrote:
how do I know if I'm on 8.1?

Look in "system" in control panel.

If you've got windows updates set then it'll do it automatically anyway.

Best feature of 8.1 is it actually boots to a desktop now.

'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so *fupping* what?' —Stephen Fry

"You like PhillBB demand facts for debate........My premise needs no facts to debate it" - Rosario on "how to look like an idiot"

http://www.flickr.com/photos/whitcomberd/

Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:27 pm
Profile WWW
World XV Player

Been without a PC for 4 days (Using a tablet!) and finally got a new desktop today. Windows bloody 8 installed!!!

Anyone know if I can reformat the disk and just install Windows 7 again?

Ta, in advance!!

Bit of tough luck for you then, old chap. I really don't give a toss about your perceived sensibilities!!

Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:27 pm
World XV Player

You can easily enough yes, just download the ISO off microsoft (its legal) and use your key.

That said, 8.1 really isnt THAT bad. It should boot directly to desktop and with about 10 mins of fiddling you can make it acceptably like windows of old.

'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so *fupping* what?' —Stephen Fry

"You like PhillBB demand facts for debate........My premise needs no facts to debate it" - Rosario on "how to look like an idiot"

Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:43 am
Profile WWW
World XV Player

String wrote:
You can easily enough yes, just download the ISO off microsoft (its legal) and use your key.

That said, 8.1 really isnt THAT bad. It should boot directly to desktop and with about 10 mins of fiddling you can make it acceptably like windows of old.

Cheers for that mate. I actually downloaded an add-on/program called 'Classic Shell' and I've (effectively) got a very fast version of Windows 7 (lookalike I know) I do love the speed it boots to the desktop mind, 12 - 14 seconds from a switch-on start is very, very impressive!!

Bit of tough luck for you then, old chap. I really don't give a toss about your perceived sensibilities!!

Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:45 pm
World XV Player

I found i didn't need classic shell with 8.1 as you can set it up pretty much as 7 without.

FWIW you can make win 7 as "fast" by simply disabling aero and the visual effects in control panel (as thats all win8 does really).

Im sticking with 8.1. It;s usable enough. I never boot to or even see the Metro interface and use it exactly as previous versions with minimal problems. It's not worth upgrading to though if you already have 7 but at least the latest update has made it usable.

Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:07 pm
Profile WWW
World XV Player

I just upgraded to Windpws for Workgroups ... can have your own network. Broadband is shyte but no spam :-)

Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:47 pm
Profile E-mail