It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:37 pm

PS3 or XBox 360... 
Youth Player

Post PS3 or XBox 360...
After getting my Xbox 360 stolen last year by some cheeky git, I decided I didn't need a games console. However, my feet are now getting itchy especially with the forthcoming release of GTA4, and I fancy making the perfect partner to the HDReady TV that we bought after Christmas.

The BluRay within the PS3 is one of the swinging factors that is making me think PS3, and also the lever that I am using to convince the misses that there is a gap in the living room. Does anyone out there have any strong preferences as to which one you think I should get?

Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:13 am
World XV Player

Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:10 pm
World XV Player

Anyone you'll ask will probably tell you to go with their fav one. I'd say go for the PS3, but since I don't have an x-box I'm sure to be biased.

The blueray thing is a huge plus for the PS3, especially if you have a HDready TV, and especially now that HD-DVD is dead. I've looked at the GT prologue on a HDTV and it looked absolutely incredible.

Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:49 pm
Youth Player

I game on the PC so wouldn't buy a console - but if I was in the market I'd get a ps3 without hesitiation.... the technology in the ps3 is more advanced and the platform is getting more popular - add in the fact that it come with blue ray out of the box ( which has come out on top in hd format wars) and your on to a winner....

Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:12 am
Youth Player

Forgot to mention that another negative for the 360 is it's reliabilty isssues....

Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:14 am
World XV Player

Forgot to mention that another negative for the 360 is it's reliabilty isssues....

Not so much a problem with the newer models as I understand it.

As for most advanced technology. It's debatable.

The Bluray yes but the Cell is hyped far more than it is truly worth. Yes the PS3 Cell has 7 cores* but 6 of them are vector processors (SPE's) that aren't as generally useful as a normal core, added to this the PPE is missing Altivec support so puts a lot of extra burden on the SPE's. Comparatively the 360 Xenon has 3 full PPC cores with Altivec support (so it has some vector processing capability but not as much as the PS3 granted). Also the Xenos GPU (based on the ATI R600 line) in the 360 is more advanced than the RSX (which is based on the Nvidia 7 line) for the PS3**. Naturally both are years behind the current PC graphics card lines (the Nvidia 8 series stream based chips were quite a departure from the old pipeline based cards and walks all over the old ones in terms of raw power, of course the 9 series takes this further).

I'd say the PS3 has the most interesting technology (I'd rather play with the Cell than with the Xenon) but don't believe it produces more power outright.

*the normal Cell has 9 but one SPE is dedicated to the PS3 OS and the other is outright disabled to improve yield.

**interestingly the 360 came out with a card that was ahead of the PC market when it was released, the PS3 came out with a card that was at least a year behind the PC market at release.

Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:27 pm
REF

I'm a big fan of Gran Tourismo so it'd be the PS3 for me.

And it's proving to be much easier than I thought. All speaking and listenting with no grammar to worry about.

Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:52 pm
World XV Player

That's probably the best way to go about it. What games do people want to play. As always consoles will sell on who has the most popular exclusives.

The PS3 will sell bucket loads the day Final Fantasy XIII comes out as is usual.

Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:30 pm
World XV Player

I was thinking about not bothering with another console. But then I saw an ad for the new GT and 'suddenly' decided I might look for a good deal on a PS3 :D

Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:46 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

360 everytime and I have both - it is graphically superior by a mile IMO

Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:18 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
REF

I only have the opportunity for about 50 hours gaming a year, now so I'm sticking with my PS2 (to be honest I was happy with my PS1 but my brother sold it to me for £50 so he could upgrade to a differernt colour one with a few extra gimicks :roll: ). Game of the moment is guitar hero 2 & 3, and it's a great multi player when we have parties.

And it's proving to be much easier than I thought. All speaking and listenting with no grammar to worry about.

Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:16 pm
World XV Player

My favourite game right now is probably Pro Evo on the Wii. Very different from practically every other football game ever made. You basically pass precisely using the Wiimote (naturally if you are off the nearest player will move to the ball). You can also send players on runs by dragging them with the Wiimote. This all mostly works which is a shock in itself.

Defending is a bit rubbish though, at least I haven't figured it out properly yet.

Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:49 pm
Site Admin

I have a Wii & a 360 not fussed on the cost of the PS3, thought it was over priced :(

Internet Marketing Consultancy - SEO Agony Uncle

Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:57 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

I have a Wii & a 360 not fussed on the cost of the PS3, thought it was over priced :(

Achieved it's goal though. The PS3 might be a bit of a disappointment* but the very threat of a Bluray player in every kids bedroom won that argument hands down. Never mind that it didn't achieve it, these decisions are usually made long before the truth of the matter is apparent.

*mainly because of the technical difficulty of exploiting it's exotic hardware. Games developers may be extremely clever but some problems are simply intractable no matter how clever you are. The industry already deals with nearly every hard problem in computing (both technical and theoretical) without throwing in heterogeneous multi processing.

Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:04 pm
World XV Player

Pfffffffft just put together a media PC for the TV room and game on that! Far superior to either! :D

Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:04 pm
Profile WWW