It is currently Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:15 pm

PS3 or XBox 360... 
Youth Player

Pfffffffft just put together a media PC for the TV room and game on that! Far superior to either!

That's my plan exactly........ :) :) :) :)

Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:33 pm
International Player

philheckler wrote:
Forgot to mention that another negative for the 360 is it's reliabilty isssues....

Not so much a problem with the newer models as I understand it.

As for most advanced technology. It's debatable.

The Bluray yes but the Cell is hyped far more than it is truly worth. Yes the PS3 Cell has 7 cores* but 6 of them are vector processors (SPE's) that aren't as generally useful as a normal core, added to this the PPE is missing Altivec support so puts a lot of extra burden on the SPE's. Comparatively the 360 Xenon has 3 full PPC cores with Altivec support (so it has some vector processing capability but not as much as the PS3 granted). Also the Xenos GPU (based on the ATI R600 line) in the 360 is more advanced than the RSX (which is based on the Nvidia 7 line) for the PS3**. Naturally both are years behind the current PC graphics card lines (the Nvidia 8 series stream based chips were quite a departure from the old pipeline based cards and walks all over the old ones in terms of raw power, of course the 9 series takes this further).

I'd say the PS3 has the most interesting technology (I'd rather play with the Cell than with the Xenon) but don't believe it produces more power outright.

*the normal Cell has 9 but one SPE is dedicated to the PS3 OS and the other is outright disabled to improve yield.

**interestingly the 360 came out with a card that was ahead of the PC market when it was released, the PS3 came out with a card that was at least a year behind the PC market at release.

Well that's cleared it all up then... :lol:

Sat May 03, 2008 9:53 am
World XV Player

We have a 360 and a PS2. I still play on the ps2 with Gump jnr as some of the games are fun. Just got GTA IV and I have to say that it is lush. I've only played a fraction of it since friday and I am wowed by it. Comparing it to the last GTA game it is clear that the 360 was way ahead of what Sony had to offer at the time. I have heard reports that the PS3 is having problems with GTA IV and that a patch is already available.

Mon May 12, 2008 12:30 pm
World XV Player

We have a 360 and a PS2. I still play on the ps2 with Gump jnr as some of the games are fun. Just got GTA IV and I have to say that it is lush. I've only played a fraction of it since friday and I am wowed by it. Comparing it to the last GTA game it is clear that the 360 was way ahead of what Sony had to offer at the time. I have heard reports that the PS3 is having problems with GTA IV and that a patch is already available.

Related to what I was talking about earlier. In theory the PS3 is potentially more powerful but it's hardware is esoteric and different to what games developers are used to.

I certainly wouldn't like to mess around with vector cores. Multicore is hard enough without being forced to vectorise everything.

Mon May 12, 2008 5:07 pm
Youth Player

Post Re: PS3 or XBox 360...
So which is best?

Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:37 pm
World XV Player

Sega Megadrive

I coukd play those games :D

Sean Spicer, Whitehouse press secretary 21/01/17

We've had Comical Ali we now have Deluded Sean

Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:58 pm
World XV Player

I got a Nintendo Super Nes cos I can play Tetris on it. I love pissing the Russians off by making their Kremlin take off like a spaceship to be hit by a flock of turf delivering flying dinosaurs :D

I got a 360 but the first game I played I had to rob a bank and that didn't settle easy.

Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:18 pm
Profile E-mail