It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 5:17 am

Joe Calzache vs Roy Jones Jr 
Primary Schools Player

Post Joe Calzache vs Roy Jones Jr
If Roy Jones Jr comes to Wales to fight Joe Calzache i think it will be a to close a fight to say who will win, who do YOU think will win.

Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:03 am
World XV Player

Since 1410 most Welsh people most of the time have abandoned any idea of independence as unthinkable. But since 1410 most Welsh people, at some time or another, if only in some secret corner of the mind, have been "out with Owain and his barefoot scrubs." For the Welsh mind is still haunted by it's lightning-flash vision of a people that was free.

Gwyn A. Williams,

Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:19 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Roy Jones is a shadow of the man he once was. If he drops to super middleweight to fight Calzaghe it would likely become a no contest. The man was hammered by Tarver twice.

This is simply Roy Jones trying to boost his pension before he retires. He hasn't been a real opponent for some time now.

Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:58 pm
World XV Player

If it happens it'll be at light heavyweight. Joe should win. A shame that they never fought at Super Middle but everyone was avoiding Joe, not in his class they said :shock: fight speak for too dangerous. :wink:

'I am Stepney, I am Peru, I am divine and so are you.' ( John Wardell, aka Jah Wobble from his album 'Take me to God' who when introduced to John Lydon in a pub was so utterly pissed that he couldn't even pronounce his own name: thus 'Jah Wobble'.)

Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:28 pm
World XV Player

Joe will smash the washed up version of Roy now.

Prime for Prime though - it would have been a one sided Jones win.

Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:37 pm
World XV Player

Joe will smash the washed up version of Roy now.

Prime for Prime though - it would have been a one sided Jones win.

Prime for prime, yep but we'll never know though and that's why boxing is wrong. Unification fights are so rare and that for me what was so pleasing about Joe stuffing that Yank whose name I've already forgotton.

The days of when Ali, Frazier, Norton, Spinks and Foreman when they fought for titles as near equals are long gone.

'I am Stepney, I am Peru, I am divine and so are you.' ( John Wardell, aka Jah Wobble from his album 'Take me to God' who when introduced to John Lydon in a pub was so utterly pissed that he couldn't even pronounce his own name: thus 'Jah Wobble'.)

Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:51 pm
World XV Player

The problem is everybody is just interested in dodging potential pitfalls. Holding the title is more important than winning fights of note. During the early 90's the super middleweight division was very competitive. We will never know how good Calzaghe is because all the real competition dodged him until the end. He may well have been able to live with Roy Jones in his prime but the chance to find out was denied us.

Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:12 pm
World XV Player

The problem is everybody is just interested in dodging potential pitfalls. Holding the title is more important than winning fights of note. During the early 90's the super middleweight division was very competitive. We will never know how good Calzaghe is because all the real competition dodged him until the end. He may well have been able to live with Roy Jones in his prime but the chance to find out was denied us.

Remember Riddock Bowe dodging Lennox Lewis and dumping his belt in a bin rather than defend it? Boxing makes the mafia look tranparant.

Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:22 pm
World XV Player

steve collins gave up his title rather than fight calzaghe, which was why eubank stepped in last minute.

there's a good article in last months boxing monthly on the dangers of warm up fights, going through some of the major upsets when boxers have taken on fights as warm ups to the big fights, e.g. tyson and duglas, lewis and and what's his name, tommy morrison losing his warm up etc

Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:27 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Collins suffered an injury a week before the proposed Calzaghe fight - he pulled out injured, got told by the WBO that he would be stripped (cause Calzaghe was #1 contender).

So just before they officially stripped him, Collins announced his retirment as champion.

It was a little similar to the Vitali Klitchsko situation recently.

Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:40 am
World XV Player

G Morgan wrote:

Remember Riddock Bowe dodging Lennox Lewis and dumping his belt in a bin rather than defend it? Boxing makes the mafia look tranparant.

Riddick Bowe had a break down over it. He was in a mental institute until recently. Went mad and attacked his family or something. Could easily be a convient excuse for him being a *my love* though.

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:04 am
World XV Player

Riddick Bowe had a breakdown, but not sure it was over the Lennox Lewis thing.

Think he took too many punches vs Holyfield and Golota and suffered Brain damage - quite how he is aloud to fight is beyond me.

He actually pleaded to the courts of his wife kidnapping incident that he wasn't in his right mind do to Brain damage, yet now has apparently been given a clean bill of health - not the way he moves in the ring and talks.

Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:54 am