It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 11:34 pm

COUNTY CRICKET FIVE DAY DURATION... 
Regional Player

Post COUNTY CRICKET FIVE DAY DURATION...
The weather has had a major impact on the recent round of county games; and I wonder whether a fifth day should be allocated to make up any lost time due to the weather.

Also in my mind is the present system of contracted players to the England cricket team. For some seasons now our top players have had restricted access to their county; yet we still cannot produce a settled and successful international team. Is it time to abandon the contract system, and release all players to the county game; and select a team based on current performance. Perhaps the county game could be a full five days; developing players into test match mode. With so much limited over white ball cricket those players devoting their time to the less lucrative format deserve an equal chance to represent their country.

Wed May 02, 2018 2:17 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Post Re: COUNTY CRICKET FIVE DAY DURATION...
Yes that makes sense. Most County Championship games start on a Friday and finish on the Monday with a three day break before the next round of matches so I don’t see why it would be a problem allocating the Tuesday as a potential fifth day.

Wed May 02, 2018 10:54 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Just checked Glammy fixtures and in late June there is only a one day break between County Championship fixtures so the fifth couldn’t apply then but I am sure the fixtures could be more evenly spaced out to allow a fifth day for all Championship matches where needed.

Wed May 02, 2018 10:57 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

I don't think the ECB are interested in the four day game, the money is all now geared towards T20

Fri May 04, 2018 2:09 pm
Profile ICQ WWW