It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 11:37 pm

Cardiff Devils Ice Hockey 
British & Irish Lions Player

Post Cardiff Devils Ice Hockey
Cardiff Devils Ice Hockey team retained their Elite Ice hockey league title last week. They completed a 56 game league schedule and won by a clear 10 points. Winning the title once again means they will compete early next season in the CHL cup competition which will see them play against the top teams throughout Europe. They competed this year in the same cup competition and actually beat 2 of the top teams in Europe ( whilst also suffering a couple of heavy defeats ) but a great learning curve for the team in a minority sport in the UK.
They failed to defend their challenge cup title this season, losing out in the final to deserved winners Belfast Giants.

Next week they play against Coventry Blaze home and away in order to qualify for the play off final weekend which is held at the National Ice Arena in Nottingham.
Since moving to their new Arena in Cardiff Bay, most games are played in front of sell out crowds of around 3300. It has been another great season for the Devils thus far and they will now be hoping to go on and win the play off finals, the only title that has eluded them for quite some time.

Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:22 pm
Profile E-mail

Post Re: Cardiff Devils Ice Hockey
Obviously not too many interested in ice hockey on this forum, however, the Cardiff Devils have just won the play off championships in front of a full house at the National Ice Arena in Nottingham. They beat Sheffield Steelers 3 - 1 in a great final which means they won three of the four titles to be played for this season and lost in the other cup final, so all in all a fantastic season of achievements. They can easily lay claim to Wales’ top achievers in any professional sport in my opinion.

Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:44 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

What size crowd does this draw?

Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:51 pm

Today’s final was a sell out at 7500. ( the weekend games sell out every year )
Cardiff’s home ice is 3600 and sells out most home games.
Sheffield Steelers is around 10500
Belfast around 10000
The largest crowd record for a British ice hockey game some years ago was 18000 at Manchester arena.

Ice hockey receives no funding from government, unlike many other minor sports who receive substantial incentives.
Des
It’s this lack of funding, the GB team gained promotion to Division 1 group A last season, quite an achievement.

Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:30 pm
Profile E-mail

Belfast around 10000
The largest crowd record for a British ice hockey game some years ago was 18000 at Manchester arena.

Ice hockey receives no funding from government, unlike many other minor sports who receive substantial incentives.
Despite this lack of funding, the GB team gained promotion to Division 1 group A last season, quite an achievement.

Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:31 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

cosh wrote:
Belfast around 10000

Despite this lack of funding, the GB team gained promotion to Division 1 group A last season, quite an achievement.

My office is next door to the LA Kings practice rink in El Segundo, and I wander over once in while to get a $15 sandwich and watch them play.

You get a sense of how quick the game is at ice level.

Oddly enough, Pro Hockey has really taken off in Los Angeles despite the weather... a lack of a good winter sport team helps..although the Rams are getting better.

I played field hockey, but never had the balance for the ice. :(

Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:01 pm

Saw Gretzky play for the Kings against the Bruins, what a player he was !
The league over here is way off NHL level to be sure, we do have quite a few ex NHLers playing for various teams in the EIHL. The standard of the best teams here would probably be mid to lower AHL standard, which is still a very good standard and improving every year. It’s also a lot more reasonable price wise to watch a game here as to the over priced NHL venues.

Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:45 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

cosh wrote:
Saw Gretzky play for the Kings against the Bruins, what a player he was !
The league over here is way off NHL level to be sure, we do have quite a few ex NHLers playing for various teams in the EIHL. The standard of the best teams here would probably be mid to lower AHL standard, which is still a very good standard and improving every year. It’s also a lot more reasonable price wise to watch a game here as to the over priced NHL venues.

In his prime, when I worked on Wall St, I got tickets for a Rangers vs Edmonton game at the Garden on a Friday night.
The game started at 7.35, we got in 20 mins late, (after just one more :D ), and Edmonton was already 4-1 up, and he scored 3 times. :thumbup:

Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:49 pm

He played with some great lines at Oilers, guys who protected him from anyone taking physical liberties. With all the problems surrounding concussions in various sports, ice hockey organisation throughout the world have clamped down on fighting and the enforcer role is slowly disappearing from the game. We used to have a guy called Mike MacWilliam ex NHLer play for us back in the 90’s who was a brilliant enforcer, never lost a fight in British hockey ( and fought some tough guys in his time )

Check out the Elite Ice Hockey website to see how the Devils won the play offs yesterday, the highlights show just how much it meant to the team and the fans. Easy to see how they won the BBC Wales team of the year last year and with them gaining more trophies, will probably get the award again this year.

Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:16 pm
Profile E-mail