It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:38 am

Welsh RL 
International Player

Post Welsh RL
How come the Welsh RL team is so poor? I get it that they have just played a couple of PI sides who tend to be a bit special when it comes to rugby of any sort but dear oh dear..... :scratch:

Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:41 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Post Re: Welsh RL
Have things now settled down between the Samoan and Tongan fans in NZ ?

Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:05 pm
Regional Player

Most of the RL teams are Australian diaspora or ancestry players, Wales doesn't really benefit from that. The local Rugby League scene is basically amateur level and since Union went professional there is no longer any real motivation for established players to switch codes, as they can earn more and get paying gigs more easily in Union. League has no presence nor cultural cachet here, most of the daffodil brigade probably don't even know that it exists. I don't know why you would expect a Welsh RL team to be any good.

Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:35 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Figaro wrote:
Most of the RL teams are Australian diaspora or ancestry players, Wales doesn't really benefit from that. The local Rugby League scene is basically amateur level and since Union went professional there is no longer any real motivation for established players to switch codes, as they can earn more and get paying gigs more easily in Union. League has no presence nor cultural cachet here, most of the daffodil brigade probably don't even know that it exists. I don't know why you would expect a Welsh RL team to be any good.

I agree that the Welsh RL team is poor, we're not streets ahead to say the least, but did just beat Wales quite convincingly in the RLWC.

AFAIK, RL isn't taught large scale in Welsh schools (unlike Union which is seemingly taught everywhere, alongside Soccer), so like you implied, there's no incentive for youngsters to reach for the league game in later life. South wales has gone soccer mad to a great extent, with Swansea (admittedly struggling to stay) in the Premiership and Cardiff vying to join them next season.

Until that changes, I suspect that RL will simply be seen as something a long way off, both in terms of geography and successful wide-scale professional marketing. A shame really, as I remember watching the Welsh RL team at the former Vetch Field, in the late eighties and early nineties, when they drew decent crowds against the likes of England and PNG; doubt that would happen anymore; are the Ospreys still enduring poor attendances for the more popular brand of the sport?

Sean

Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:17 am
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

The RL team of the late 80s/90s only drew good crowds because it had some superstar ex-union players in it. There is no vehicle for Welsh players to become household names through league alone.

Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:57 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

You guys did read that the U16s rugby union bois were signed up en bloc, yes?

Hmmm?

Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:09 am